Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007

Unread 07-20-2007, 04:56 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007

Not quite sure how to do this - but here goes. First message I've sent via a forum but your story was so close to mine, thought I would give it a shot. On Monday, 16th, I also had a complete hysterectomy and appendix removed due to endometrius cancer - found out yesterday that they got it all and no further treatment is needed - so now its just the recovery from the abdominal incision (vaginal area to belly button) and the removal/pushing around of the internal stuff. Percocet every four hours but I'm able to hold off another hour at times - improvement even from yesterday as far as that goes. Walking some to get the gas moving but no signs of any other movement in that area. No appetite - Since midnight on Sunday prior to the surger, I think I've had a dixie cup of ice cream, the same amount of pudding, and a half a slice of bread with cheese/tomatoe. Could be why there is no movement except gas. Don't know whether this is common - don't know how to use this site really. Hope all continues to go well with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2007, 12:26 PM

Hi all, had my TAH Tuesday and got home yesterday. Felt soo good yesterday but today feels as though I have been run over. My doctor had more work to do on me. I had adhesions, endo and the uterus was attached to the bowel which also needed some repair work. I think the gas pains are worse than the actual surgery. Incision doesn't hurt or look bad at all. I go Monday to get staples out. Lots of water, little walks (even though I would rather be a couch potato) and plenty of pain pills. Bran, prunes and stool softeners galore. Wish I could go to the bathroom. Voiding the first time was tricky too, they gave me an in and out catheter the first time after they removed the oringinal catheter just to drain my bladder for me. It still takes a while for the pee to release. It must be due to swelling. That's bout it for my update, take care all and rest well. Cris
Unread 07-20-2007, 12:28 PM

I had my surgery on Tuesday and came home on Wed. I feel really good. I had heard horror stories and was really nervous. I feel really tired all the time but my pain has not been above a 5 since the first 24 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2007, 02:02 PM

Hi sisters,
Had my LSH on tuesday which they had to take my left ovary, which was not planned. So needless to say I dont know alot about what my body will go through. I guess I will get educated through my sisters. Pain wise not bad, tolerable. I think it might be the gas that is making me uncomfortable. Its hard to tell. I got home from the castle about 6pm on Wed. Still taking pain meds to keep ahead of the pack. Lots of help from DH and kids. DH even cleaned out the frig, whats that about??? Not complaining!Everyone take care of themselves. Princess' always come first!
Unread 07-20-2007, 02:24 PM

Wow. I have to pinch myself to see if I've just dreamed up the whole thing or if I am really already post-op! I had my TVH with A and P (bladder taping and a cystoscopy to boot) on July 18th and I am writing this on the 20th. I opted for an epidural since the anaesthesia usually makes me sick. I was put into recovery with these weird undulating things on my legs to encourage good circulation. I was given a pump with a button to push for pain relief but I ended up not using it since the narcotic-style meds were making me nauseous and now I am only on Tylenol. I feel great. I'm up and around and am so glad that I am one of those lucky people that says "I wonder why I was SO uptight about this surgery!" I hope that my recovery period (and everyone else's here) goes smoothly and quickly!

from this Very-Relieved
Unread 07-20-2007, 03:45 PM

I got home yesterday from my TAH with left ovary removed (only one I had left) Right removed 10 years ago. I feel good- I went to wal mart today and bough support undies - not a nice shopping experience but not bad either. I feel so much better with them holding my stomach in and I put cold compresses on constantly. I am using motrin for pain during the day and my pain pills to sleep. I wanted to keep my ovary but it was covered in scars and more cysts so I guess it is better that it is gone. I have a hormone patch on and really have never felt better - I am nervous about HRT - but I am being optimistic and hoping and praying for the best!!
I am glad everyone is ok.
I will do another walk tonight - aroung the yard though. I do not like wearing my "big belly" sweats all over town!!!

Good luck to all
Stacy
Unread 07-20-2007, 03:51 PM

I'm home! Actually came home about 4 hours ago, but DH and I ate lunch and then took a long nap. Now he's vacuuming the house for me! He's the BEST friend and husband I could ask for! I showered and cleaned up before coming home and that was nice to be all done with the bandages, the IV, etc.

Pain hasn't been above a 5 for over 24 hours. I'm tired, but not hurting too bad. A little stiff when I walk, which I'm trying to do a little more often. The incisions don't hurt at all unless I touch them, and then they are a little tender. The incisions for my bladder sling are in the crease between my vagina and thigh and I don't even know they are there most the time. I happened to touch them and they are a little tender so I had DH verify that's what it was.

All in all, I feel very good and am so excited already that I had this surgery. I can already tell that I am going to feel SO much better than I did before. Even now, being tired and sore from the surgery, I still feel better and more energetic than I did pre-surgery. How crazy is that?

I'm still taking pain meds and probably will for a few more days. The motrin they gave me I can only take every 8 hours, and that is too long for me to go, so I still take my vicodin every 4 hours too. Hopefully in a few days I can drop that one.

I am also on an antibiotic - prescribed by the urologist, and my OB started me on the estrogen patch yesterday. So far so good!

I think the hardest part about all this will be going 6 whole weeks without lifting. Nothing over 10 lbs for 6 weeks per the urologist! The OB said that the lifting requirement is more important for the bladder sling than the hysterectomy since mine was all done vaginally.

But that will be the hard part because I know that soon I will be feeling back to normal (even better!) but will still need help with picking things up.

Thankfully we are involved in a wonderful church and our Sunday School class is providing us with meals for 3-4 weeks, since I shouldn't even be boiling pasta and carrying the pan of water!

I am so thankful for this site, and for having done this surgery. I knew I felt awful before, but it sure does hit home even more when you feel better the day or two after major surgery than you did before.

Best wishes for safe and quick healing for you all!
Unread 07-20-2007, 04:16 PM

I had my TAH/BSO with an added omentum removal on Monday the 16th. Vertical incision. They got me off morphine and out of bed walking the next day. I walked as much as I could circling the floor around the nurses station!
They kept me through Thursday, due to a low grade fever I was running. No solid food til Wednesday (believe me - I didn't WANT any!), no gas til Wed early AM, and no BM til Thursday with the help of a suppository.
I think the gas pains were the worst part of the whole thing! :-)

Yep - it hurt, but I am healing very very well. My staples come out on Monday. I look forward to that - I'm afraid I'm going to snag them on my clothes! :-) I'm not taking much pain medication, cause I just don't need it. I'm taking one vicodin a day right now - hoping not to take any tomorrow. I just don't like taking medications!

It is funny - I was terrified of the surgery. I was leaking from the eyes up until they wheeled me into the prep area! But the surgery wasn't hard at all - now looking back from the other side!

Bad news was that it was cancer. My DH 'broke' when they came out of surgery to tell him That was harder for me to hear than the word cancer.
However, we both are keeping positive, and know that I will do all in my power to beat this!
I am glad this part is over, and looking forward to ALL of it being over!
Unread 07-20-2007, 04:19 PM

Five days after a TAH with the ovaries removed. Changed my estrogen patch for the first time. Dr. recommended using a little rubbing alcohol to remove the traces of adhesive but I did not have any. I used Mary Kay's eye makeup remover instead! It works so well, I tried it on the leftover adhesive marks from where I had my IV on my arm. They are gone!

I feel much better today! Even had my first BM. Yay! I tried to give up the Tylox for pain yesterday. BAD MISTAKE! By nighttime, I was in tears. The prescription is for every 4 hours. My RN friend told me that this Rx can slow down the bowels and rob the intestine of water, so Me and My uninformed wisdom, decided to only take it at bedtime, only. I was so depleted of help my pain level was a definite level 8. It took 1 and 1/2 hours for the med to even kick in and I was sooooo tired.

I am still going to space the pain meds out but not as much. I just feel stiff today and not as sore. DH and DD are still wonderful to me. God is good.
Unread 07-20-2007, 08:18 PM

Here I am, happily home from the castle!
Glad to tell you that I am feeling like I am on the road to recovery after my TAH on Tuesday afternoon, the 17th! Woke up in the recovery room in horrible pain, and it took a few doses of painkillers to help. Also felt like I had to pee REALLY bad, even though I had a catheter in. Once I got to my room, everything kinda calmed down. Slept all night, and a good chunk of the day Wednesday. Had the IV and the catheter removed Wednesday evening, and I was able to sit up in a chair for a short while. By Thursday, I was off the liquid diet (which I hated!! really wanted to eat!), and walking the hallway. I was able to come home today (Friday afternoon), armed with some pain drugs and instructions to take it easy. DH has been helpful, but twice he has said he "forgot" I had surgery and I need help! My staples will come out on Monday, so I'm hoping that will be another leap forward to feeling better. I am so glad to be on the other side of the surgery!!

Again, thank you ladies for all your support....wouldn't have gotten through it without you! I hope I can as helpful to the future "ladies in waiting"!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register