Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007

Unread 07-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007

Hi Again...5 days post-op and thrilled to have had my first bm!! OMG like a three year old I'm sharing this with such excitement. I have been so uncomfortable and trying every trick of the trade to get things going and thrilled to have the first over!

I'm actually feeling a little nauseous but not in much pain. The recovery has been so much better than I ever imagined!

I got my staples out yesterday so all in all things are going well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi again

Today is second full day home after TAH on Tuesday. Recovery is going well, better than I ever expected. Have the pain meds down to 1 percocet every 4 hours only because I am afraid to be without it. I had a bowel movement yesterday. State of the house is starting to get on my nerves because DD is sick and hasn't kept up. DS is doing well getting my meals to my room. I am staying upstairs during the day near the bathroom. Doing steps once in evening to have dinner and back up to bed when I need the bathroom. I am going to pamper myself to make sure recovery progresses as well as it has been. (DH thinks I should be back to normal, but I'll ignore that thought.) I don't have staples, but the ones I can pull off next week myself.

Hope all my sisters are recovering just as well. I feel great and can't believe it's over. I couldn't figure out where to put stats like I've seen, so here are mine:

I'm 49, TAH, both ovaries out, kept small portion of cervix. I have had no bleeding at all and no hot flashes or anything so far.
Unread 07-21-2007, 10:49 AM

2nd day at home, and doing ok. I'm still needing pain pills every 4 hours or I get way too sore and in pain. If I keep up with them, I feel pretty good and get up and around - I'm just sleepy.

This morning I've been a little nauseated, but have been sipping on ginger ale and that has helped. I am also trying to eat a piece of toast, but I'm not really hungry.

I haven't had a BM yet, but I took my stool softener this morning and will keep taking it as long as I'm on the pain meds or haven't had a bm.

I started the antibiotic they sent me home with today - 3 days of that, one a day. 3 pills cost $25! Crazy! DH is on the same antibiotic for something else and he got 2 weeks worth for the same price. Guess we pay the same co-pay no matter how many of them we get.

I'm hanging out in the living room recliner right now, playing on the computer, reading a little and might watch some tv soon. I dozed off earlier and that felt nice. I should go take a shower, but I'll do that a little later.

DH is being a sweetheart and taking great care of me, getting me everything I need. My parents still have my 3 year old daughter till tomorrow, so we will take advantage of the quiet and calm.

Got some flowers today from my step-brother and his wife! That was a sweet surprise!

I'm keeping thank you cards right by my chair, so I can write them as needed so I can spread it out a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2007, 11:02 AM

Today is my first full day home. I'm not up with all the lingo but I had a lap assisted total vag hysterectomy with one ovary and one fallopian tube removed. My uterus was about 4X larger then is should have been so once the doc went in that way saw little if any scar tissue so basically cut loose the ovary and did the rest vaginally.
When I woke up in recovery later I felt crampy and like I had to pee. God I love pain meds. Once we got them under control and I had my pca to dose myself all was right with the world. I had the worst roomate ever. She chatted and moaned all night. Constantly repeating herself with each shift change. I was so darned sleepy by they time she checked herself out yesterday I could barely see straight.
Cath came out right after I saw the doc in the morning and I got up and peed and did a hall lap immediately. Then did the same again after lunch with an rn assit. Got back into bed and slept until my dh arrived to take me home.
Today is not too bad. Did have a lapse in my pain pills while sleeping but I seem to have caught up again now. Showered and taken a short walk outside to help with the gas. I'm glad it's behind me.
Unread 07-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Recovering Well

Hi, I had a LAPVH on 7/18, went home on 7/19. I have nothing left except the Vagina. Very tired all of the time, pain is managable. Actually feels good to urinate somewhat normal again. I had endometriosis and bleeding cysts in both ovarys. Had 2 C-Sections 15 & 16 years ago--lots of scar tissue. Have not had a BM, hard time passing gas. Otherwise not too bad.

Thanks for listening.
Unread 07-21-2007, 09:52 PM
I'M Home

Just wanted to send a quick note. Had a TAH with BSO on Wednesday. I had low iron when I went in for surgery and ended up WAY to low after surgery. Dr let me come home with out doing a blood transfusion. He says eat, rest, and take you iron pills. I am praying that works. I am sore and tired but not too bad. Hope everyone continues to improve. I am heading to bed. Have a great evening.
H
Unread 07-22-2007, 09:35 AM

Day 5 since surgery and seem to be getting better and better. Tired of resting though (didn't think I would ever say that). Hubby and 14 year old seem to be doing all of the work around here and I am lounging reading or watching tv. Still get tired real easily though, taking a shower really does a number on me. Got to keep 1 ovary not sure of what effect that will have with hormones, any one know more info for me? Dr. has not given me any word on when I can go back to work either and having problems with disability ins. paying.... Guess that is the latest here. Hope everyone is doing great and it is nice to have someplace to come and talk....
Unread 07-22-2007, 10:00 AM

Now I am 5 days past That Day. I am surprised at how easy it is to overdo things when I am feeling good. No more constipation! YAY!!!!! (But I think I might have done overkill on the stool softeners and such!) I have to force myself to sit and relax. My appetite is still a little wane, which is fine since I'm not burning many calories by doing anything besides heading to the bathroom and walking around my cul-de-sac.
I know my DS and DB/F are trying to help me when they want to start the dishwasher and only load it half full or let the phone ring because they want to give me plenty of time to get to it.

*sigh* Where is that RED TENT when I need it?

Guess which one is me!!!
Unread 07-22-2007, 12:09 PM

Okay, here's a new one. Six days since my TAH . I had my first BM a couple of days ago. I feel much better. Still some pain on the sides that accelerate in intensity when I lay around too much or walk too much. I expected that. Since last night , I have had this strange feeling from my belly button down then up. It doesn't hurt . Just feels like fingers or a gentle rolling pin going up and down my abdomen. Huh?! Did they install a little alien with tiny feet to run around in place of my uterus??
Unread 07-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Home from Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy

Hi Everyone,

My surgery was Wednesday July 20th, and I arrived home yesterday July 21st. When I arrived at the hospital the strangest thing happened. They gave me a nightgown to put on, and I swear it had the little hystersisters all over it. Somehow I felt relieved. My surgery was very long and extensive. The doctor said it was challenging. Once inside they found lots of adhesions, and everything was just one big mess. Both tubes and ovaries were removed, the doctor had to remove my bladder from my uterus, apparently it was stuck together due to adhesions.
I went for a spinal, and didn't mind it, however, they ended up giving me a general anethestic due to the length of the surgery time. Apparently a spinal only lasts a couple of hours. I went in around 220 in the afternoon and was in my room at 830 at night!!!
Catheter came out the next day. The following day the massaging socks came off, and then my IV and my little drain I had in my stomach.
I was also given hepburn injections into my stomach twice a day. These did not hurt. Yesterday once home I had a terrible headache and vomitted 3 times. I went to bed finally heavily medicated and the headache was gone this morning, as well as the nausea. My appetite has been good today, and not alot of pain.
I am so thankfull all of this is behind me. The procedure was subtotal hysterectomy done in the lower abdominal area. Apparently the doctor had to leave part of my cervix due to complications.
Just thought I would let everyone know how I was doing, and everyone going soon, good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register