Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007 - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007

Unread 07-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Afraid to even try to sleep

Well it is about 11:25 pm for me and I am pretty much afraid to even go to bed, last night was such a bad night of sleep or really lack there of I don't want a repeat, so I am sitting on my laptop in my recliner watching John Stewart. I have felt pretty crappy the last couple of days and the meds are only helping some. I think what honestly has helped the most is the ice packs.
I got tired of my hairy legs and pulled out the electric razor tonight sitting on the toitty I was able to get all needed areas.
My emotions are all over the place I even laughed at myself tonight when I realized I was being a little crazy

I am going to go see my chiropractor on Friday and hopefully get at least my neck back in place which might be part of my sleep issue as well.
Well going to watch the Colbert report now and maybe try bed after that who know.

Hope all is well

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007

Thanks to all for your warmth, humour and great info sharing. Had my surgery one week ago. Laproscopic until 6th hour on surgery table ( 3 sm incisions) then had to do a 4 " incision to get me out of there. My Husband was given a scare when they told him about possible CO2 in my Lungs, but chest xray was clear. Only other problem was Huge12"x8"bruise on my back which was explained as blood dispersing during surgery.
I am a true poster child for Swelly Belly. Went out today to buy xlarge shorts to hang in as none of my clothes fit. My girlfriend and I wound up in the old ladies dept at a dept store as that was the only place that they had comfortable , big/loose shorts. They say laughter is the best medicine, unfortunately the more we were cracking up over my new wardrobe the more my incisions would hurt. I kept threatening my friend that I couldn't hang with her as she was causing me too much pain.
Each day continues to get better although along with the healing from all of the internal swellling and bruising from the HYST surgery, I am also having to deal with a return of pain in my leg and hip from old injury of 2 herniated back disks. I guess the disks didn't appreciate being held hostage in what I'm sure was a bizarre position for the 6 1/2 hour surgery.
Yes Boredom is incredible . I walk around the block 4 times a day. I was thrilled to go out for lunch today and go shopping . When I came home my ankles were cankles and I was instructed by all to put my feet up. Swelling went down and I was given renewed hope that there was hope for the rest of my body's swelling too!!
Insomnia is somewaht a problem as I've weaned myself off percoset but put myself back on recently at night.
( Obviously it hasn't kicked in yet as it's 1:46 am.)
Thanks again for all of the sharing. It was good to know that I was not alone in my celebrations for the first gas passed and then moving on to that amazing momement of my first BM. ( thanks to an over the counter laxative)
Ahh for the memories
Unread 07-26-2007, 09:20 AM

I understand about the pain meds. I tried to go a day with just the Motrin, and broke down around noon and took a Dilaudid. It only helped a bit. I go for post-op appt 2morrow and can't wait. I have just enough meds to get through today, and am going to request another scrip 2morrow. It's good to hear that someone else is having the same experience with the meds. I thought about asking for something stronger, but I think the next step up is oxycodone (oxycontin) and I'm afraid of that. I also understant the emotions, now I've gone from anger to crying. Isn't this hormone patch supposed to take care of all that? Yet another ? for the Dr. This emotional thing reminds of when I was 13, I'd cry hysterically if my shoes didn't match my outfit. Remember that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2007, 09:40 AM
insomnia and pain meds

I noticed when I ran out of the pain med, I had a hard time winding down to sleep. Body tired - mind racing! I am not having any major discomforts. I just have minor aches and twinges so I don't feel I need to ask for another script when a over the counter pill will do. But this business of "head hits pillow, head starts racing" has got to stop.

Last night I tossed and turned then just decided to train my mind to think of something relaxing, like thanking God for what has gone right. Not sure if that is what put me to sleep or if God knocked me out cuz I was boring Him, but I did sleep well until I had to get up to take the anti-inflammatory.
Unread 07-26-2007, 09:56 AM

I understand the emotions are all over the place. The first week of recovery was scary for me. I can say that this second week has gone better; but I am taking it one day at a time.

I am a single mother of an 18th month old. I luckily have my family and wonderful friends helping to take care of me. I think the hardest part of all this was being the worker, student, mother, provider to now you must rest and not do anything....that is hard for me. I have gotten so use to work, my son, school every day to now we just want you to rest and you cannot do anything; but walk do lots of walking.....BUT I'm learning to deal with it.

Here is a big to all my fellow week 7/16/2007 hyster sisters! Have a wonderful day!
Unread 07-26-2007, 10:08 AM

Hey all, can't stay long, I am a bit dizzy and nausous with a horrible headache that won't go away. My throat is also sore from the tubes that they stuck down my throat.

A two and a half surgery turned into 4 hours. They were to take my utereus and cervix, but because of all of the scar tissue from c-section, it took way longer then they thought. Then my bladder was hidding my cervix and my doc was afraid if she tried to move it anymore, so would have punctured it which would have been bad. I would have had to have a cathiter(sp) in much longer and would have to go home with it.

I got home Tue night and have slept most of the day. My poor tummy has five cuts in it and it is distorted and bruised up. I had trouble sleeping in my bed. The first night I slept in a recliner. But last night I made it until 6:30 am in my bed.
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM

Nice to hear from all you hyster sisters. I had a bad day yesterday, really cold, really hot, sore joints - even my finger joints hurt... Better so far this morning, took anti inflamatory and one percocet around 6 am..... That helped me get a lil more sleep, hot flashes continued through the night.... I am on Estrogen pills... Post op appt next week.... will have to see what happens on week 2 of recovery (tomorrow will be one week post op for me). I have been taking it easy at home, doing household chores like loading dishwasher, sweeping and lite vacuming. Sleeping on and off, reading books and kicking back as much as possible... It will get better day by day I figure. Love to hear from fellow hyster sisters, makes me realize I am not alone and I am somewhat normal! THANKS for all your support and sharing, I REALLY appreciate it! Karen
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:40 PM

yikes. I pulled out a vacuum Tuesday, 8 days post up. Just to pick up some unhealthy crumbs that could hurt my 7 month old puppy who was trying to get to them. I hurt for a day afterward. Give up that vacuum, girl. That's what a "hooverectomy" is all about.
Unread 07-26-2007, 02:07 PM

My doc sspecifically told my DH I am not to cook or clean and not to lift anything over 5 lbs for three weeks! I have to ask my DD to put my laptop on my lap when I want to get online, but what the heck. DM cooked enough for three days and friends have been bringing food too. DM-Law is helping with housework. I plan to return to work Monday.
Unread 07-26-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabusa
yikes. I pulled out a vacuum Tuesday, 8 days post up. Just to pick up some unhealthy crumbs that could hurt my 7 month old puppy who was trying to get to them. I hurt for a day afterward. Give up that vacuum, girl. That's what a "hooverectomy" is all about.
Hmmm. And to think that I was contemplating trying to vacumn this morning. I'll heed the advice and let DH do it 2nite. Funny, today is exactly 1 week post op. DH was grreeeaaatt with the support until yesterday, and then the eye rolling started. I wish he were on this end of the deal...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register