Question for anyone with OV diagnosis after a BR diagnosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for anyone with OV diagnosis after a BR diagnosis Question for anyone with OV diagnosis after a BR diagnosis

Unread 07-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Question for anyone with OV diagnosis after a BR diagnosis

I have a question that hopefully someone may be able ot answer for me. A good friend of mine who is a 10+ year Breast Cancer Survivor just had her hyst this past Friday for suspected OV cancer. During surgery if was confirmed that it was cancer but they would need to wait to get her pathology back to determine what the further treatment will be because it will be different if they determine that this metastisized from the Breast cancer, or if it is a primary cancer of Ovarian Cancer. I am just curious if anyone knows why the followup course of treatment would be different. If it is Ovarian Cancer, wouldn't they follow normal course of treatment (normally taxol/carbo) whether they felt it was a primary or metastesis? My friend was very diligent about seeing the doctor when she didn't feel well, but of course it took numerous vists with different doctors, and actually not until they finally did a ultrasound and found a mass and within days of that the abdominal swelling starrted. I am having a hard time with this since I see this person every day and feel like I should have "known better" which I know I can't control, I just feel like I should have been able to do something. I am just trying to get an understanding as to why they may be lookking at different courses of treatment based on how they feel this cancer started. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2007, 03:15 PM

Dear Karin,

My understanding is that metasticized cancer is made up of the cancer cells of origin, not the location that it has spread to. In other words, they would find brca cells in her ovaries, not ovca cells. This being the case, the treatment would be different.

Of course this is just my lay person perception of the situation, so she should ask her doctor to clarify.

I'm so glad that your friend has you to stand by her -- blessings to your kind heart.
Unread 07-16-2007, 05:43 PM

Genie,

Thanks for the "Lay" explanation, it does make sense. I haven't heard any updates since Saturday so I don't know what conversations have happened with the doctor. I am sure he will be explaining this to her. I was just a little confused by it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2007, 12:12 AM

Hi Karin If breast cancer metastasizes, the most likely locations are to the lungs, bone, liver and brain. If it metastasized to the ovaries, that would probably mean that it's also in all of those other locations, and it would require much more than just the "standard" treatment for a small primary ovarian cancer. Metastatic breast cancer that extensive is usually considered uncurable. Fortunately, it's also extremely rare. They'll be able to tell when they examine the cells in pathology.

It sounds like it's most likely that your friend had a small primary ovarian cancer rather than metastatic breast cancer, which surely would have presented with much more severe symptoms before ovarian cancer was ever suspected. Not to minimize the seriousness of an ovca diagnosis, of course -- but in all probability it is just that, a completely independent occurrence of a different "female" cancer. What they have in common is that they can both be hormone-mediated, so women who have had one tend to be more susceptible to the other.

Best wishes to your friend for a successful treatment and smooth recovery.

s,
-Linda
Unread 07-17-2007, 06:36 AM

Linda,

Thank you so much for the information. We haven't heard from her hubby since saturday but from what I understand they didn't find cancer in or on any other organs except ovaries so I am hoping it is a primary Ovarian diagnosis. Gosh that sounds horrible, wishing it was a primary cancer, but you all know what I mean.

I just so hate this disease, but I have to beleive it has made me a stronger person for it.
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:13 AM

Yes, the treatment would be different as the cancer cells are different. As Linda says, breast cancer usually spreads to the other places first. Our music teacher's wife's spread to her lungs when she recurred. Now, it is great that her doctor is being careful to find out which one it is so she can receive the right treatment.

What a great friend you are. I am sure she is going to need you in the coming days/months as you have "been there."

s
Jane
Unread 07-17-2007, 10:05 AM

I agree with all that has been said above, they would be using different drugs to treat breast cancer cells as opposed to the taxol/carbo for the ovca cells.
One thing I just wanted to mention is that OVCA and Breast cancer are often genetically linked. My OVCA was considered hereditary and I have a >90% chance of now developing breast cancer. (17 women in my immediate family - mom, aunts and cousins have had breast cancer, but I"m the first OVCA). Just thought I'd throw that out there I guess.
Unread 07-17-2007, 12:07 PM

Thanks everyone. I know when I met my friend she was many years out from her diagnosis and I was only less then1 year from mine. I did talk to her about the genetic testing as I decideed to have it done and was in the middle of apealin my insurance comoany to cover the test - which they eventually did. She said she chose not to have the testing done. I guess it is an individual thing. I haven't spoke to her but her surgery was Friday and they are releasing her today so that is good.

Thanks again for all the info and support
Unread 07-17-2007, 12:32 PM

(((Karin))) I'm not at all surprised your friend would have decided not to have genetic testing done. Breast cancer has many risk factors, and genetics is only one of them. In fact, most of us who are diagnosed (myself included here) have no family history of breast cancer or other female cancers - we just have other risk factors that caused us to 'get lucky' The only reason I would have considered genetic testing is if I had any sisters or daughters, which I don't. I do have nieces, but their own mom passed away from breast cancer before I was diagnosed, so they could have inherited their risk from her anyway - my contribution would be secondary to that; they are already 'on alert'.

I'll keep my that your friend will get through her treatment just fine and have no more dealings with the "C" monster.

s,
-Linda
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:28 AM

Thanks Linda. Honestly the reason I had the genetic testing done was because I have 3 sisters and 4 neices. I know I am already at higher risk for breast and colon cancer based on my ovarian and uterine diagnosis' so that is why I did it. I can completly understand why some people choose not to and reapect that. My test results showed no mutations but as we all know it can never be 100% sure. I personaly beleive my ovarian and uterine cancer diagnosis' were a culmination of a life time of many, many gyn issues and years of unsucessful fertility treatments, but wanted to do what I could to ease the mind of my sisters and brother and their children.

Thanks for all the info everyone, I will keep you posted on my friends progress. I did send her a link to Hystersisters but I don't know if you is comfortable with online forums.

Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register