We have one of those tall 4 post beds, is that going to be awkward? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

We have one of those tall 4 post beds, is that going to be awkward? We have one of those tall 4 post beds, is that going to be awkward?

Unread 07-17-2007, 06:34 PM
We have one of those tall 4 post beds, is that going to be awkward?

I can set up my sons double bed in our master if that will be easier to maneuver than the tall bed.
What do you think?
Also we have a small dog that is 25lbs so there is no way I will be able to lift him onto the tall bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2007, 06:40 PM

If I were you I would get a small step stool to use to get up into bed rather than going to the trouble of moving beds around. We have an extra deep mattress and the stool helped out a lot. You can just slide out its getting in that's rough.

The dog is another matter. If you absolutely must have the dog in bed with you, you may want to keep your belly covered with a pillow. My dog jumped up into our bed and hit my belly and I think I left nail prints on the ceiling. PLEASE do not, even if you think you can, lift him/her up into the bed. I made the mistake of lifting and it set my recovery back by at least a week. I'm just praying that I didn't do any permanent damage

Good luck with the surgery...I'm sure you'll do just fine.
Unread 07-17-2007, 06:47 PM

His bed is already out of his room because we are going to paint this week so it won't be a much of a problem to move it. He sleeps in the bonus room in the summer so this was the best thought I had.
If I don't have the dog on the bed then he will whine and cry all day.

Well good, that gives me another project to do before hand.

Thanks for the input! That is my back up plan for sure - note to self - find a sturdy stool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2007, 06:58 PM

I'm not sure what kind of surgery you are having, but I found it more comfortable on the couch for the first few nights. I also have the higher bed, and did not sleep in it until Night 5. [Spent Night 1 in the hospital and Nights 2-4 on the couch]. It was also difficult for me to make the hike up the stairs to get to the bedroom.

Good luck !!!

Unread 07-17-2007, 07:35 PM

I don't know what type of surgery you are having, but if you have an incision, be careful of the dirt and hair from your dog. Believe me, I am a dog lover (I have 4 myself and have one who got use to sleeping in my bedroom) but you need to watch that you don't introduce anything that could contaminate your environment.

My dogs are not allowed in my bedroom but with a little help, I make sure I give them a little attention everyday in another room of my house.
Unread 07-17-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliefisdue
I don't know what type of surgery you are having, but if you have an incision, be careful of the dirt and hair from your dog. Believe me, I am a dog lover (I have 4 myself and have one who got use to sleeping in my bedroom) but you need to watch that you don't introduce anything that could contaminate your environment.

My dogs are not allowed in my bedroom but with a little help, I make sure I give them a little attention everyday in another room of my house.

Good point. I am having vaginal hyster if that makes a difference.
I think I will give Sullivan a good hair cut and bath right before. He is a Bichon and doesn't shed but he is an animal. We often forget that about him because he talks so much! lol
Unread 07-17-2007, 08:55 PM

My bed is higher off the ground as well...My dear mother does antiquing and she found me a bed step to use. I would say that you WILL want something next to your bed to help getting in and out...I think a chair or step stool would work fine though. How high does your bed hit your rump when you stand next to it???

Best wishes to you...
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:08 PM

The top of the mattress is at the top of my hip. I hurt my back years ago and I could not get into bed and that is why I am so scared. I bet I could get up there after a few days but the dog is still an issue. He never leaves my side!
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallowchri
The top of the mattress is at the top of my hip. I hurt my back years ago and I could not get into bed and that is why I am so scared. I bet I could get up there after a few days but the dog is still an issue. He never leaves my side!
Your bed is higher than mine...I do think it will be a bit of an issue. You will be surprised how much of your stomach muscles you use to hoist yourself up there...

As for the dog, you are right...you will not be able to lift him/her...They do have dog steps you could look into...I don't know how much they cost, but my mom had one for her older Yorkie...

Good luck figuring out your sleeping situation!
Unread 07-17-2007, 11:12 PM

I had the TAH procedure done on July 2nd. My bed is also pretty tall so I slept on the couch for a few nights. I have a bichon as well. She's been at my side throughout the recovery process.

My bichon used to talk a lot too. Now she only snorts for me when she's happy. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register