IV Fear | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-18-2007, 09:37 AM
IV Fear

I'm am stressing so much about a stupid IV. I know I gotta get it. You can take my blood all day long but give me an IV and thats a whole different story. I go in on Friday and thats the only thing I'm fearing. I already told my doctor to give me general ant. no spinal, I couldn't do that either. I keep thinking put the IV in and it's down hill from there. aggg help....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2007, 09:43 AM
IV Fear

I am right there with you... I even have tattoos and the nurses always tease me about my freaking out about the IV. I had to have mine in my hand... the nurse numbed my hand first with lidocaine. I'm sure you will be fine. Believe it or not, the IV part is over really quickly!
Unread 07-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Me too!

I'm with ya! I go in on 8/2. And I also have a tattoo - on the top of my foot no less - which hurt like a mother!!! I think it's more mental than anything, but just keep thinking that it will be over quickly......

I'll keep ya in my thoughts and prayers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2007, 09:50 AM
I hear ya

The last surgery I had I was so scared of getting the IV because I have tough veins that can be hard to thread but it was so easy I laughed at myself for being so scared. You are going to be fine and it will be easier than you ever dreamed. I will be thinking about you and good luck with everything you are going to do great.

Stephanie
TAH 7/20
Unread 07-18-2007, 10:57 AM
IV Fear

Don't worry...
They numb your hand with the tiniest needle that feels like a mosquito bite... Then you don't even feel the i.v.
I was worried too but it was no big deal...
Good luck at the Castle...
You'll be fine...
Unread 07-18-2007, 01:58 PM
IV Fear

I have been SO scared of needles since I was little. ( I'm 51 now). About 10 years ago I finally decided to stop trying to be grown up, and to just tell whoever is doing it that I usually faint, throw up ...or both ! I ALWAYS lay down.......but, this last time I was in when I had the 20 uterine biopsys, the Dr. gave me a little pill...I think called Adavant (or something like that) ...and I took it about an hour before the IV..it was wonderful, I didn't even care when they did it and have very little recall.
Like you I was dreading that more than anything. Now that I have my 'magic pill', I'm quite concerned for the recovery from what is to come!!!

rjj
Unread 07-18-2007, 04:01 PM
IV Fear

I have the worst veins in the world and have always had trouble with a IV..... The trick to it is to drink at least 100-150 ounces of water the night before...... When having my 1st neck surgery that was the trick they taught me...... They had 4 nurses trying to hook me up with my IV and they couldn't get it, so they called the blood drawer guy and he had to put it in my foot and boy did that hurt..... That is when he informed me to drink lots and lots of water anytime I have surgery and need an IV or even when I need blood drawn...... And let me tell you it works...... With my next 3 surgeries I didn't even feel them put it in.... Hope this helps..... Let me know..... Best of luck to all.....
Rambi
Unread 07-18-2007, 04:16 PM
IV Fear

I'm less afraid of the iv and more afraid of the doctor sticking a drain in somewhere. The last time I had one was when I had gall bladder surgery and the nurse yanked the drain out. i thought I was going to have a stroke before it was over.
Unread 07-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Me too

I have always been a "hard stick" hard to draw blood and srart an iv. I have learned a good trick. I ask them to put a blood pressure cuff on and pump to at least 200, and leave it there for a min. or two. This makes the veins pop and it makes your arm numb.
This time when I had my surgery the anestesoloigest {sp}started my iv in about 2seconds. Awsome.

Good luck,
once you get your iv in thats when you get the "good stuff".
Let us know how it went when you get home.
Unread 07-18-2007, 11:23 PM
IV Fear

Something I learned awhile ago that helped me was that the i.v. is actually a tiny tube left in the vein. I always thought that the needle was left in which seemed so disgusting. But to know that I can bend my hand etc. made it seem more bearable.
Hope that little fact helps, if you didn't know it already.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register