No Pre-op appointment???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Pre-op appointment???? No Pre-op appointment????

Unread 07-18-2007, 03:21 PM
No Pre-op appointment????

Does this sound "normal" to any of you? I am scheduled for surgery on August 1. I called the surgical coordinator about 2 weeks ago and left a message. She never called me back. I called again last week and spoke to someone who schedules appointments and told her about my surgery and she put me on hold, came back on the line and said no I didn't need a pre-op appt but I did need to come in and sign papers and that the surgical coordinator would call me to set up a time to do that. For some reason this just didn't sound right to me (no bloodwork is needed???? I've never had surgery without having bloodwork done) so I called once again on Monday morning and left yet another message on the surgical coordinator's voice mail telling her when my surgery is and trying to verify once again if I really didn't need a pre-op appt. It's now Wednesday late afternoon and she has yet to return my call once again. The hospital called me to pre-register me for admission so I know the surgery is scheduled. Did any of you not have a pre-op appt? I saw my doc back in June and that was when he recommened the hysterectomy. Is it because he just saw me that he doesn't need to see me again? I just feel like I'm being so left out of the loop--I mean after all, this IS my body he's doing major surgery on. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM

Hi

I didn't have a pre-op appointment with my Doctor. I didn't go in to the Hospital the day before my surgery for some lab tests, paper signing, and general quesion answering.

If you have questions, call the Doctors office with them. The nurse might call you back with the answers, or maybe even the Doctor.

s and Best Wishes,
Kay
Unread 07-18-2007, 03:29 PM

Hi Dragonfly,
I didn't have a pre op appointment but I did have to be at the castle about 30 minutes proir to surgery and thats where I had my bloodwork done I would keep trying just to make sure of what your Doc wants done with you. Take care and hope this helps some
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2007, 03:30 PM

Dragonfly

All i can say is that i had a pre-op 5 weeks ago and my surgery isnt untill aug 6th, but i didnt have blood work done, nurse gave me some blood forms and said to get it done the week before op, i also did not have any x-rays or anything like that either, a lot of the other ladies on here have had the lot done, maybe it depends on how our hospitals work. wishing you all the best
Unread 07-18-2007, 03:32 PM

I never had a pre-op with my doctor. I saw him in June 2006 and decided in July to have the surgery. He called to say he had gotten the message about what I decided, told me how he would do it and said the scheduler would call me. I was scheduled for the end of August 2006. The week before the surgery, the hospital called and had me come in to pre-register and do all the lab work.

I think there have been some women on here that have had the blood work done the same day as the surgery, but I'm not sure. If you are concerner you might be able to call the hospital and ask them.
Unread 07-18-2007, 04:25 PM

I did not have the traditional pre op either. I had bloodwork done at my gyn about a month before the surgery so they used that. The hospital called me two days before the surgery and did the "pre op" over the phone. She asked me all the usual questions, family history, allergies, etc. But I did not go in for an actual pre op appt. I did my registration online at the hospital's website. All in all it worked out just fine.

If I were you I would call the doctor's office like the other sisters here have mentioned. Especially since you aren't getting anywhere with the surgical coordinator.

Let us know what happens, okay? Good luck.
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:49 PM

I have surgery on aug 3rd, and i have a pre op with the doctor on july 24 and the hospital pre op for blood, xrays, ct scan any tests he may want to have done. which I will find out at the doctor appointment which is first.
I suppose all doctors are different
Unread 07-18-2007, 08:25 PM

My surgery is aug 13th and i have a pre-op with my doc on the 7th and also at the surgery center that i will be having my surgery done at. I already pre-reg at the center. I think that is crazy not too have a pre-op appt. How do u get your last minutes questions answered??
Unread 07-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Call your doctor's office and tell them what is going on. Just to be on the safe side. You don't want to get to your day of surgery and have any delays.
Unread 07-18-2007, 08:46 PM

I saw my doctor in February, told him I wanted to wait until June(I drive a school bus) when I was off. He said Ok.
A coordinator called me, to ask all the necessary questions, and I arrived at the hospital an hour before my 12:30 surgery,
I had the blood work then.
A friend of mine however, had a battery of blood work, BUT she is diabetic.

If you are worried, or it does not seem right ASK questions,
YOU are in charge of your health care.

Joanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register