Help - Trying to make a decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help - Trying to make a decision Help - Trying to make a decision

Unread 07-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Help - Trying to make a decision

I have had pap smears that have shown mild dysplasia. So, my gyn did a LEEP procedure in her office. The report came back with positive margins with mild and moderate dysplasia, and moderate dysplasia at the top of the cone. She referred me to a Onc/gyn who said that because it was an area that they could not see to monitor well that she would recommend a cone biopsy (done in a hospital) or a TVH. I am 47. I don't plan on having any more children, but I really don't what major surgery either, if it is safe for me to aviod it. I want to know if anyone else has had to make this choice and if you were happy with your choice. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2007, 10:17 AM

As someone just diagnosed with uterine cancer because they didn't want to do a hysterectoy. I'd say do whatever your doctor advises.
Unread 07-20-2007, 10:42 AM

I'm not very familiar with Cervical cancer so I hesitate to give you much advice except the ever-faithful get a second opinion and to see a gyn/onc. Well, you've done that already so it seems like the choice is yours. On a personal level, I wanted to do everything possible to have the best chance of cancer never ever coming back, and if that meant hysterectomy and taking everything out, I was ok with that...well, as OK as one could be facing those kinds of decisions.

One of my mantras is "Make the decision that is going to leave the fewest regrets". Think it through carefully. If you need more information, keep asking questions and perhaps see another gyn/onc for another opinion.

in there. Good luck to you, let us know what you decide.
xoxo
k9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2007, 01:23 PM

11 years ago i was diagnosed with mild displasia and had a biopsy and a freeze avoided it for 6 years after that and then in 2002 had to have a radical hyster for cervical cancer, then had a recurrance in 2005 I would say dont avoid anything. learn from my mistake...good luck with your decision
Unread 07-20-2007, 07:43 PM

I agree with the other sisters . . . definitely follow-up on this. I don't think the cone bx would be considered as "major" as the TVH. Perhaps you'd feel more comfortable getting a second opinion?

Cancer is insidious, and I always tend to err on the side of caution. Early detection and removal/destruction is always the best defense. I would go with whatever option gives me the best chance to be around for a long time! (If it makes you feel any better, I was 37 when I had my surgery.)

monami
Unread 07-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Hi, (((Sugarsweetie)))! Welcome to the Cancer Concerns forum!

I'm sorry you've been having problems with abnormal PAP's. Since your LEEP did not have clear margins, you are clearly going to need some type of follow-up procedure. You don't sound convinced that you're ready for a hysterectomy, which is fine. Lots of women prefer to exhaust all their options before resorting to a hysterectomy.

You can always have the cone biopsy and then wait to see what the pathology results say. If your margins are clear, then you're in good shape and no hysterectomy is needed. If, however, the margins do not come back clear, you will probably end up needing the hysterectomy anyway. There really isn't anyway to know ahead of time what is going to show up. So if you aren't sure that you want to go the whole way and have the hysterectomy, I think the cone is a good option (keeping in mind that you may have to go to plan B anyway). Approximately 80-90% of women are cured after a cone biopsy.

If you decide to have the hysterectomy, you can always opt to keep your ovaries if you'd like. You might like to do some research on that as well!

A second opinion is always a good idea if you are considering a hysterectomy.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.

Unread 07-20-2007, 08:55 PM

I would wait to see what the biopsy shows. I had two cryoscopies or freezing of the cervix in my early twenties. It was not too tough and I didn't have a hysterectomy until I was 32. If it shows cancer or the doctor has some reason to do a hysterectomy, then that is another issue...

Good luck!
Unread 07-21-2007, 05:58 AM

Hi Sugar, I'll second Jeanine's advice.

I've had many friends who have had cone biopsies and have not had any difficulties after that. It's not major surgery, either. I had a cone first -- they put me out (thank heavens!), but I went home an hour or so after the procedure and was up and about the next day with no discomfort. Unfortunately, I didn't have clear margins and had to have the hysterectomy.

Be well and take care,
Unread 07-21-2007, 12:26 PM

I would echo some of the other views you've received here....if the doctor is recommending a cone biopsy, then I would do that before going right to a hysterectomy. It's really important to have a doctor you trust. And, with whom you can discuss the options. If you're in the majority of the statistics, the cone biopsy will be all you need, and then you're fine, and you'll have not had to go through major surgery (and recovery) which can have its own consequences. Best wishes to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register