TAH/BSO - Cancer found | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO - Cancer found TAH/BSO - Cancer found

Unread 06-29-2001, 08:09 PM
TAH/BSO - Cancer found

Hi everyone! Had my surgery at the castle on Monday; arrived home today at noon. Kept running a slight temperature. Swollen belly painful - need light support. Had my hyst w/epidural and sedation - wonderful!!! Can't say enough for what a positive experience this was. Thanks to my hystersisters that shared their anesthesia stories with me.

Pathologist found ca in uterus and on left ovary, so I have to take Megace for six months, have blood work and CAT scan. Then another surgery to check out the area and make sure there's no ca left. Any info on Megace?

The castle and employees were wonderful. I had the epidural in place for 30 hrs, then accidently broke it. Started on percocette immediately, and though it worked, it wasn't as good as the morphine! The anesthesiologist removed the epi three hrs later, and I was given percocette whenever I needed it - two at a time.

Don't remember too much about the first day. Many friends and my DH were there, said I was really awake - just can't remember what I said or did!

I'm tired now, will share more tom'w. Anyone with concerns please feel free to contact me.

MindyLee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2001, 05:24 AM
TAH/BSO - Cancer found

Hi Mindy!!

Wow, you sound great for being only 5 days post-op!
So glad that you are home and feeling good.

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but it certainly sounds like the surgery took care of most of the cancer which is always great.

I don't know too much about Megace myself, but I have passed your request for information on to another one of our hostess' though. So be sure to keep checking back.

I do know it is in pill form, and how wonderful that we have cancer drugs in pill form now. It is a much easier route to take than radiation and chemotherapy for sure.

You take care get lots of rest, and keep a pillow near by for your sore tummy!
Sending prayers and 's
Maria
Unread 06-30-2001, 05:34 AM
TAH/BSO - Cancer found

Hello MindyLee and welcome to the Cancer Forum! Your spirits sound high and that is wonderful! It's so important to keep thinking positive during your recovery!
I was diagnosed with carcinoma in situ of cervix,kept ovaries, so I am not familiar with Megace. I often find info at www.webmd.com so you may want to do a search there. I have found a lot of information there that has been helpful for many different things.
It sounds like your whole experience was a good one, except for the epidural breaking, and I must agree that morphine is wonderful for the pain. My dh was telling me things that I said while under morphine three wks after my surgery that I still didn't remember! I was glad to hear that I was so amusing!
I want to wish you the best of luck in your recovery! Please know that we are all here for support to you!! Post anytime and watch your temperature!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2001, 05:38 AM
TAH/BSO - Cancer found

Hi Mindy, a big to you. Sorry I cant help with the megace either but just wanted to let you know I am here to support you any way I can x x
Unread 06-30-2001, 07:24 AM
TAH/BSO - Cancer found

Hi, Mindy,

I'm glad you've found us!

Megace is a progestin--that is, it mimics to some degree progesterone, a hormone your body makes. Some women are prescribed it as a form of HRT, particularly if they can't take estrogen. It inhibits anything that estrogen boosts.

You might be interested in this earlier thread. Molly, one of the founders of this board two years ago now!--you can see her good news at the top of the boards--talks about her experiences with Megace--

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ghlight=megace

Let us know how you're doing on it!
Unread 06-30-2001, 08:09 AM
TAH/BSO - Cancer found

{{Mindy}}

I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well! It sounds like your cancer was caught early and they are going to keep a close eye on you. Now you can concentrate on resting and healing, like a good

I had some pretty funny things happen after surgery too that I do not remember at all! From what I understand from my sister and my boss I was a pretty happy gal! (Although they did tell me I made absolutely NO sense! ) That epidural sure sounds like it did well but so sorry it broke on you!

Rest well and let us know how you're doing when you can. Sending lots of prayers your way!

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 06-30-2001, 10:23 AM
TAH/BSO - Cancer found

Mindy, I did a little search and found this fact sheet on megace.
It has a fair bit of information on it! Hope you find it helpful!
http://www.cancerbacup.org.uk/info/megestrol.htm
Hugs!
M.
Unread 07-01-2001, 05:53 AM
TAH/BSO - Cancer found

Hi, Mindy!

You sure sound positive about your experience at the castle--I'm glad it went so well for you. Sorry that they found cancer, but it sounds like it must have been pretty early in stage--how fortunate for you! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Unread 07-01-2001, 07:46 PM
Hi Mindy (newbie)

Hello: Just read you post Mindy... so glad you are doing well right now... I plan to correspond soon as I am on a working vacation and hope to chat and share with you too...I had a tah/bso one year ago --I had uterine cancer..... previously had a-typia cells and benign hyperplasia.... that turned cancerous within a one year period or longer.... I will share with you later when I have more time... Just remember to take it very easy these early months post op... and gentle {{{hugs}}} for you now....

Right now I am doing gOOd... Would love to share as we have some similarities feel free to email me anytime as I have my computer with me... sending along a boquet of pink roses for you... to cheer you up as you continue to mend..... I'll look for you posts.... Princess Carole...
Unread 07-03-2001, 11:09 AM
hysterectomy/cancer

Hey Princess -

Thanks for your response, I do look forward to hearing from you, and hope you're having a great vacation.

My appointments with both Drs. isn't until the 17th. I'll be seeing my GYN for after surgery checkup, and a GYN ONCOLOGIST to start on chemo and Megace. Have no idea what type of cancer I have, other than the endometrial found in the uterus. Not sure what the type is that they found on my ovary, other than being told that it was NOT ovarian ca.

The hospital has a tumor board that's meeting on the 17th to discuss the pathologists findings, and the Dr. has something like three or four paths to look it all over, so I should have many professional opinions on what's best for my situation. I'm a bit nervous, of course, wondering what the effects of the chemo will be, but looking forward to getting the ca behind me, and forward with my life. Wondering if I'll be able to work, lose my hair, be weak, etc. But feeling optimistic, all the same.

Hope to hear from you soon, will let you know what happens on the 17th.

MindyLee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register