TAH/BSO - Cancer found - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO - Cancer found TAH/BSO - Cancer found

Unread 07-04-2001, 10:16 PM
Megace and chemo

Hi fellow princesses!

Thanks so much for your advice and support! Will do the research suggested, so glad you all shared info on where to get the info I need.

Still a bit nervous about the chemo. Don't know what the pathologists report is going to say, and want to research the chemo I'm going to have to know what to expect, and how it works.

My DH took the news of the cancer much harder than I did, and I worried about him for several days - he can't verbalize his feelings, just freezes up, and can tell when he's miserable. Have a friend of ours that I took care of when he had his eye removed due to cancer. Shared how my DH was taking this, and he invited him over for dinner, a movie and some conversation. DH was so much better afterwards - - where would we all be without each other?

Well beloveds! Time for bed. I look forward to sharing the info I receive on the 17th with all of you. Hope you all had a wonderful 4th, and that your lives are filled with marvels!

MindyLee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2001, 10:35 AM
TAH/BSO - Cancer found

Hi, MindyLee: So happy to hear you are home safe and sound and feeling positive about it all. I don't have my TAH surgery date yet. I will find out the date next Wednesday. My problem is fibroids mainly, and adenomyosis.

I was curious: How did you break the epidural?

I am planning on having an epidural and I sure want it to do its job for as long as possible!

Thanks, and you are in my prayers.

Connie
Unread 07-05-2001, 02:59 PM
TAH/BSO - Cancer found

Hi Connie!

You know, the waiting and worrying really are the hardest parts.

I broke the epidural on my second day. It really was time to come off of it. The meds are in a container that you can carry with you, and I dropped it in the bathroom, so the end of the tube came out. The nurse came in and closed it off and brought me a percocette to be sure I didn't end up in any pain. The anesthesiologist came by about three hours later and removed the wire, tubing, and tape from my back, which was no big deal.
I asked for another pain pill three hours later, and was told if I waited for one more hour I could have two - which I did, and it was very effective.

Are you having sedation, too? I had Versed, a valium combination. Put me out like a light, but when I woke up, it was like normal wakening without the terrible hangover of general anesthesia. I was answering the phone before they had me totally settled in bed in my room, and watching television, visiting, etc. Don't remember too much about that first day, but didn't realize I didn't remember until the third day. I've been bugging everybody to fill me in, and joked with the Dr. telling him I knew he had me sleeping because he thought I wouldn't stop talking.

The epi was great, a little pinch when they numbed the area, and strange feelings on left and right side while the anesthesiologist adjusted it so the meds would go in effectively. It's a really small flexible tube, then they place the medical tubing inside of it for the anesthesia, and later, pain meds to travel through. It was a bit uncomfortable as he placed the med tubing in, but I was talking to the Dr. then, so I was distracted somewhat, which worked like a charm. My husband held my shoulders sitting in front of me in a chair, and I was on the table bent over with my hands on the arms of the chair. I arched my back like a cat, and he had it in with no problems. Then I had to poop! No lie! I'd used a fleet enema the night before, but I guess he triggered something and I just had to go. I carried everything into the bathroom and did go, but just a little. That was it for about three days - which is great - you don't have to strain your abdominal muscles right after surgery.

The tube was placed up over my shoulder, taped in place, and I could lie on it. I highly recommend this type of anesthesia to everyone. I was up the next morning, catheter removed, showered and took my first walk with assistance. Back to my room, ate breakfast, and headed out for a walk on my own. Felt better than laying in bed.

Do you have any concerns? Have you had surgery before? Let me know, I'm here for you, as are all your other "sisters!"

Big hug, spoil yourself!!

Mindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register