Has anyone weaned off Effexor? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone weaned off Effexor? Has anyone weaned off Effexor?

Unread 07-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Has anyone weaned off Effexor?

I am trying to wean off Effexor. I have been on it since September and was up to 75mg. My doctor is aware but all she did was give me some boxes of samples with 37.5mg in them. She didn't really give explicit instructions on how best to do it. Everytime I suggested something, she said, "That should work".

I called the pharmacy yesterday and all he said was, "Ask you doctor".

So here is the delima that I am in. I decreased for a full week to 37.5. I did not take a pill yesterday. Should I take one today and every other day this week to wean off. Or can I just stop now that I stepped down for a week.

I start work again on 7/30 and would like to not have withdrawal symptons by then.

Any stories from your experiances would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2007, 02:09 PM

Highland sunsets,
I weaned off of Effexor a few years ago. I was on 75 mg daily too. I had a hard time coming off personally, but I just kept cutting my dose down and finally got through the symptoms of weaning down. One thing that helped me was to open up the capsules (if you have the XR capsules) and take out some of the little timed released balls. If you cut your dose down gradually, you will experience less of the withdrawal symptoms. I think that everyone is very individual as to how hard or easy it is for them to come off of effexor. When I was weaning off there was a website that I found some help from. I don't think I am allowed to post it in this note, but if you want the site feel free to send me a PM and I will write you back with the site address. If you aren't having horrible symptoms from cutting your dose back I don't think it matters how you wean. I didn't get much help from my dr when I was weaning either. I found out most of my information from the web site that had other peoples experiences of weaning off effexor on them. Please let me know if I can tell you anything else that would be helpful.
Unread 07-22-2007, 02:39 PM

I weaned off about 8 months ago, and it was horrible. This is what I recommend:
Open up the capsule and divide the beads into 2 piles. Take 1 pile or 1/2 of the 37.5 mg dose each day for about a week. During the 2nd week, divide the 2 piles into 1/2 again, so that you're taking 1/4 of the 37.5 mg dose. Do this for at least a week. If you have enough of the med left, I'd do this for 2 weeks. Then go off completely. This is not a fun med to discontinue, and for this reason, I don't recommend using it. I am taking Cymbalta now, per my psychiatrist's recommendation. I quit Wellbutrin shortly after I started the Cymbalta. I feel a lot better. Now, if I can get my thryroid under control, female organs removed, and celiac disease managed, I'll be a perfect princess! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks Ladies!
Unread 07-22-2007, 06:30 PM

You need to ask you doctor what is the best way to wean off Effexor. I did it with my doctor's okay but it still took quite a long time to completely wean off it because of the side effects I was having. I would not suggest opening the capsules. Please call your doctor and ask for explicit instructions. Effexor users are cautioned, I believe, not to stop taking this drug without the help of their doctor.
Unread 07-23-2007, 03:54 PM

Dottie,
When I suggested to open up the effexor capsules and take part of the medicine out to help wean down your dose slowly I forgot to mention that the psychiatrist I went to see to get help coming off of effexor suggested this. The little beads of medicine in the capsule are time-released and as long as you don't crush them or chew them you are not changing the way the medication is absorbed in your body--you are just decreasing the dose of medication in the amount that you choose. Good luck to you in your weaning from effexor.
Unread 07-23-2007, 06:18 PM

aurwhe,

Thank you for the info. Especially since, as I said, my doctor had no suggestions of her own when I asked her for the best way. I did some further research on various medical sites last night and your suggestion is consistent with what I saw posted there by doctors as well. But I had already started the every other day method (which is also mentioned). Skipped Saturday, took one yesterday, skipped today. So far so good. Only a bit of light headedness. If I had known it was this much trouble to come off, I would have never agreed to start them. Oh well. Research is the key I guess!
Unread 07-24-2007, 06:06 AM

When I weaned off the Effexor - my doctor gave me an Rx for the generic pills that can be cut in half. There were strict instructions on how to wean off of The Effexor - and it took what felt like FOREVER - and I did not like the side effects coming off - but I got through them! Please ask your doctor about how to wean off the Effexor.
Unread 07-24-2007, 09:36 AM

Dottie, I will be thinking of you as you work on getting off of Effexor. Just remember the side effects do go away eventually. When I was having a hard time with the side effects of effexor withdrawal the psychiatrist I was getting help from mentioned that if the side effects were too hard to get through I could always opt to stay on a low dose of the med instead. I did think about it, but I am so glad that I chose to work through those side effects now. If you get discouraged during this weaning process just write another note. I will definitely be able to understand how you feel.

Rhonda
Unread 07-24-2007, 09:02 PM

I was on it a few years ago & the withdrawal for me was horrible!!! You just have to stick it out & it will go away (it took a few weeks for me)
Also just to let you all know there is a oneline petition to get the company to disclose all the problems people are having with effexor.
www.PetitionOnline.com/effexor/petition.html
when you get on there you can read all the comments people have made about effexor.
good luck & stick it out. It will get better!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register