Hysterectomy dates Jul 23-Jul 30,2007 - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 23-Jul 30,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 23-Jul 30,2007

Unread 07-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Surgery 0n 7/25

Had my surgery last Wed-7/25 at 11am and was in my room by 1:10. I had a TVH (still have ovaries) and very happy that the doctor didn't have to make any external cuts. My partial hysterectomy was due to very large fibroids invading my uterus. 16 week pregnancy size the doc. said. I became anemic with very low iron levels due to monthly blood loss. I am healing faster than I expected and energy is returning. I still have some pressure on my left side mostly but can feel it's less and less each day. Sitting is still not the most comfortable but try to lay in bed with the laptop or in the recliner mostly. I'm walking the length of the house many times a day and it seems to be helping. Had my first BM 2 days after surgery and it went well. Was scary to push at all but things have been flowing well ever since. They did give me a stool softener at the hospital and I believe that helped tremdously. The gas pains were horendous for a few days but are now subsiding thankfully. I agree the wait for the surgery was much worse than the actual surgery. I'm looking forward to the day when I can return to normal outdoor activities. I actually miss work. Shhh..don't tell them that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2007, 05:23 PM
July 23 TAH/BSO

My surgery story begins with a 3 day prior, clear liquid diet and bowel prep. My dr was concerned about having to remove part of the bowel wall due to the adhesions, therefore wanting everything cleaned out best as possible. My surgery was scheduled for 3 p.m. on the 23rd and was pushed back to 4:00 before I got anything to "relax" me. The last thing I remember is the Spinal needle going in and rear and legs getting warm and heavy.

I next remember getting wheeled into my room, the clock said 8:00, and husband looking nervous. I couldn't really talk because I was SO dry from the anesthetia. Actually I wasn't experiencing pain, or what I would consider pain. Each time the nurses would ask...rate your pain, I gave a 6 or less because my periods hurt this bad every month!

They had me up walking in the morning and legs still felt like rubber. Once the catheter was out, they had to do bladder scans each time I pottied. I couldn't figure out the big deal since I was peeing plenty. The dr set me straight. My bladder had "flattened" out against my uterus. So much endo and adhesions had everything stuck together. During the surgery my doc had to do careful dissection of my organs, leaving the bladder wall a bit thinner. Therefore it is critical that I pee often and empty ALL out so I won't stretch the bladder as it tries to repair itself. Also, they keep saying that my bowels were "manipulated" quite a bit. Hmmm. Sometimes I wish I had a video of all that was done. With all this said, I spent 4 days in the castle following dr orders.

I get up and walk as much as possible, they would tease me about wearing a track in the carpet at the hospital from my IV cart. My neighbors are impressed with my ability to walk. I have good days and bad. I am not on any HRT as of now. At home, only taking Ibuprofen, I did use vicodin one day. My worst pain comes from gas, as it moves through...hold on baby!! Overall, I think everything is going well. I admit, it is hard to put life on hold as you try to recover without pushing things.
Unread 07-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 23-Jul 30,2007

Its been one week since surgery and I am doing well. On the plus side - catheter came out and although I am not completely emptying my bladder it is much better than in the hospital. Luckily my surgeon believes in capping the catheter instead of using a bag so I could start training my bladder. On the minus side - incisions on my rear end are still sore and the stitches in my perineal area (from vagina to rectum) can't decide if they want to hurt, burn or itch. Hemmorhoids are acting up too. Even though I am on Motrin 800 the whole area was achy, crampy and throbbing on Sunday and Monday. I finally broke down and took some Percocet yesterday and the whole area relaxed. I plan to start walking more tomorrow now that the catheter is out. I do not want to gain weight as my appetite improves!!

I cooked supper tonight and did 4 loads of laundry today. Washer and dryer or in a closet in the upstairs hallway so I never lift more that a very small pile of clothes as I fold and then put them in the right room. As long as I am careful and don't lift (or vacuum) I do okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2007, 09:04 PM

Msaccounting....Yes, my doc told me to take iron everyday and eat iron rich foods. I'm feeling better slowly and my energy level is coming back.
My doctor cleared me to go back to work next Monday. I feel I'll be ready...I'll just be taking it easy for awhile when I'm there.
As I said before, my main pain is from my ciatica. The pain is in my left butt cheek and goes down my leg. If I didn't have this pain I'd be doing wonderfully with my healing. Hopefully I should get in to get an MRI done this week so they can see what might be causing this.
Anyway, take care ya'll,
Unread 07-31-2007, 09:33 PM

I am 1 week post op and I must say that all in all everything is pretty well. Just a note Morphine is not a nice drug - it caused much more pain everywhere else - my head, neck, and back were hurting not to mention I kept throwing up. After I told them I didn't want it - they said I could have oral pain meds - I was very glad to hear that....and almost immediately began to improve. I showered and began to walk around within an hour of removing morphine - but I didn't get to eat food until I "passed gas" and that didn't happen until 7:30pm Wednesday night.
When they woke me from surgery I thought it was my mom waking me and that I had overslept and missed my entire surgery!!!!!
At home all is well my mom stayed with me and my DF until today - she has called 6 times since lunch DH is really enjoying the break from cooking b/c that is what he usually does - but he is busy making sure the kids have everything pickup (our house is on the market to sell!!!) I have a wonderful network of friends and supper ( which also serve as lunch of next day) taken care of until August 8!
I am glad to hear that most of all are doing well.
I will add those of you that are not having a great support group at home to my prayer list!!!!

I am so very happy to be in the princess group! I already feel better mentally and have more desire to do stuff!!!!

Oh yeah what they found - I had a cyst on left ovary (they drained the cyst and left ovaries) almost size of my uterus. My uterus was enlarged to 4th month pregnancy size - I had fibroids and my uterine walls were thickening. Bladder sling seems to be working well - I haven't laughed too much yet still sore
Unread 08-01-2007, 03:30 AM

its day seven, since my surgery, and i feel great, my swelling has gone down, i think i'm gonna have to buy all new pant's as my uterus was the size of a six month pregnancy before the op. one thing i must say is i'm hungry all the time, can't stop eating. and i get a bit tired in the middle of the day. i had no apetite before the op. i'm takeing paracetemol, but am in no pain. ond oh, i am sleeping 7 hours at night without having to get up every two hours to wee like i did b4 my op.
Unread 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
1 Week Post TAH-RSO w/ TVT-O

Well ... made it to the other side! So far, doing well as can be expected.

My Story ....
No bowel prep, but still exercised a light diet. Last Tuesday (24th) was surgery at 9:00am - TAH (horizontal incision), RSO, and TVT-O (due to mild stress incontinence). Arrived at hospital at 6:30 and was fussed over from the get-go. Just after 8:45am, I kissed DH goodbye and was given something to relax me as I was wheeled to OR. In OR, I was awake enough to scoot from the gerny to the operating table. Shortly there after, they put on the mask and I was out!

Had General Anethesia with depidural (morphine shot to the spine in post-op), plus extra long-lasting novicaine in incision site. Surgery went as planned ... about 3 hours. Dr. said very little blood loss and no surprises. Uterus, cervix, right ovary, and F.tube were removed. (Path negative on all). Will find out more (measurements, etc) at my 2 week appt.

Post-op, don't remember anything until about 4pm in my hospital room, but DH said I talked to him around 2. Slept Tuesday away. Woke up 4am Wed (day after surgery) and feeling great. Had my cath and IV removed by 8am, was peeing and walking before noon, and showered and washed my hair myself that afternoon. They kept giving me Motrin and Percoset, but I didn't really think I needed them. Dr. told me the Motrin as not an option, she wanted me on it around the clock for the first week. Percoset as needed. Spent 4 days in hospital, lots of walking and watching way too much of "Walker Texas Ranger"! Never was above a 3 on the pain scale.

Friday was released. Didn't plan well, and all my meds had worn off right about the time I was to be release. So car trip home (though only 15 min) was quite uncomfortable.

My post-op Dr.s orders were (1) no stairs for 2 weeks (well, very limited) (2) no lifting over 5 lbs for 2 weeks, and (3) lots of walking. Overdid it a little Fri/Sat with ride home, steps a few times, etc and paid for it Sat night. Learned my lesson though. Been good ever since.

Today is one week past, and I am taking Motrin twice a day, Percoset at night (sometimes), and feeling pretty good. My biggest challenge has been getting my bowels moving. This has been a challenge for me in the past .... so no surprise it is now too. So sick of fibers and prune juice, stool softeners, wierd home "concoctions", and Preparation H. I have had a BM each day, but extremely painful as having a difficult time with complete evacuation and asteroids. Will talk with my Dr. more about that when I see here next week.

I think the TVT-O took as urinating is very different. Not having a problem with peeing, but stream is much slower and steady. "Let down" takes a little longer as well. But if it keeps me from peeing my pants when I sneeze, it's definately worth it!

One other thing I've noticed is that my hips are really sore. Anyone else notice that???? I can only guess it's from being in stir-ups for the TVT-O. But quite sore.

Other than that, all is well here. Just counting down the days to when I get out of this 3rd floor bedroom and be more mobile.
Unread 08-01-2007, 01:05 PM

I can't believe it's been 7 days!!

I am feeling really good. Only some pain, which Motrin is working well for. I am tired, but that is because I am not sleeping enough (reading some great novels). I can't believe I get to be home for about 12 more weeks (I am having a bilateral mastectomy on 8/22).

Bless you all!
Unread 08-01-2007, 01:17 PM

Hello Fellow Sisters,
I had my hyst on 7/26 and have been feeling really good. Today, I got a call my dr. They found cancer in my Uterus (inside a fibroid). My dr. reassured me that it was all contained in the uterus, but recommends I get chemo for 6mos. I am soo scared. I guess this is very rare, it happens in only one tenth of one percent. I am sick to my stomach. I have heard horrible things about chemo and it's side effects. It's hard to function knowing this.
Unread 08-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riariv
Hello Fellow Sisters,
I had my hyst on 7/26 and have been feeling really good. Today, I got a call my dr. They found cancer in my Uterus (inside a fibroid). My dr. reassured me that it was all contained in the uterus, but recommends I get chemo for 6mos. I am soo scared. I guess this is very rare, it happens in only one tenth of one percent. I am sick to my stomach. I have heard horrible things about chemo and it's side effects. It's hard to function knowing this.
You are in my thoughts and prayers!!! Private message me sometime if you want to chat about the chemo. I am a breast cancer patient, and finished 4 months of chemo last January. HUGS!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register