Incisional Hernia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incisional Hernia Incisional Hernia

Unread 07-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Incisional Hernia

I had my supracervical hysterectomy done March 8th. The left incision site always had a small lump that got very hard at times(usually after doing to much or in the morning on waking). It is now diagnosed as an incisional hernia and the surgeon feels that it should be done by open surgery with down time of 2 to 4 weeks. Can't seem to win with this time thing. Has anyone else gone thru something like this.

I wish good luck to all who have upcoming surgery and a reminder to people who have it done laproscopic. Doctors seem to minimize the healing process because it is the simplier procedure and outwardly you feel like your ready to take on the world. Remember there is so much healing going on in the inside that to some degree you have to take care of yourself as if you had a total abdominal.

bhiggins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Incisional Hernia

i had an incisional hernia from a previous surgery and had it repaired. i was in and out of the surgical center within a few hours. it wasnt too painful at all.
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:08 AM
incisional hernia?? HELP

I had my supercervical hysterectomy at the end of April 2007 3 days later I was readmitted to the hospital with a wound infection/abscess.... long story short, I though I healed well but I obviously I didnt because I developed a buldge to the left of my incision and I can push my intestines around... sorry for TMI... anyway I went to my gyn who did the surgery because of all the complications I had and she told me I had an incisional hernia..UGH!! She said she would send me for a second opinion, or she can do the surgery or I can do leg lifts to strengthen my stomach muscles... The thought of going thru surgery again just freaked me out because of the tough time I had with my Hyster.... so I chose the leg lifts....now it seems that my hernia got bigger! I made an appointment with a surgeon for a second opinion.... my question is... how long did any of you wait from the time of diagnosis to the actual incisionional repair... and what typy of surgery.. open verses laproscopic repair... and how long out of work. Im so worried about the whole thing especially having to tell my boss that I need surgery AGAIN and I need more time off... I was out 8 weeks with my Hysterectomy!! PLEASE HELP... sorry for the long post but im freaking out and need some advise.... thank you all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Try to stay calm

I just had my incisional hernia repaired. If I were you I would go to a general/laproscopic surgeon. It was confirmed by CAT Scan in June and it was definitely caused by the first surgery. I am pretty shocked that you were exercising. My hernia was incarcerated from the beginning and it was fat and things left there from the hysterectomy. A hernia is nothing to fool around with the larger it gets the more chances you take with some very serious things like strangulation and possibly losing some of your intestines. I went to two surgeons and they both told me it could not be done laproscopically so mine was open incision. Same day surgery and if you have a sit down job you can get back relatively fast. But once again i know I have been overdoing which makes your recovery just take longer. I had my problems also after the hyster surgery which had me nuts for this one but if you have a good surgeon it really should be OK. I also was afraid of having to tell my boss etc. Best advice to y ou is don't wait and see a surgeon. I wanted so bad to exercise because i felt very weak and felt some of the problem I was feeling with the hernia were more caused by my inabilty to strengthen my core muscles but I really wouldn't suggest it and both surgeons thought any ab exercise was not a good idea if the hernia was causing discomfort to begin with. Let me know what you decide and how you make out. Take care .
Unread 10-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Incisional Hernia

I also had an incisional hernia repaired 2 weeks ago from my LAVH on March 8. I mentioned it several times to my gyn, who dismissed it as a hematoma. I was able to see my PCP in Aug., who said it was a hernia, and recommended I see a general surgeon. The surgeon was fantastic, and I was only in the hospital a few hours. I was a little more sore than I expected the first 5 days, but was back to work with no problems. ( I do a lot of walking and climbing stairs at work, too) This second week has been great, and I feel pretty much back to normal. The surgeon told me at my post op visit the other day to still be careful and not lift anything very heavy, and don't resume crunches until after I see him again in 6 more weeks. I have to remind myself to be careful, because I feel that good now! The incisions are actually smaller than the ones from the LAVH, and I'm sure they'll be barely visible in just a few months! Good luck to everyone experiencing this!
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Incisional Hernia

Thank you all for your responses! I went to the surgeon today and he confirmed that I did indeed have a hernia and I need surgery to correct it... I was really pushing for it to be done laparoscopically but he said because the hernia / incision is so very close to my bladder I stand a greater risk of puncturing my bladder. So Open surgery it is! He said hes going thru the same incision and sewing mesh over the defected area... he also said that theres a good possibility that I may have to stay overnite... I was somewhat surprised because these surgerys are very common in and out but he said that he wants to make sure my intestines are up and running before he lets me go home.. he also said that I will be getting IV antibiotics because of my previous wound infection which by the way is the whole reason why I landed in this boat!!! My surgery is scheduled for November 20th so here I go again worrying away.. Plus I have to do an even more intense bowel prep than i did for my LSH.....
Thank you all... ill keep you all posted
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Incisional Hernia

i'm so sorry you have to have another surgery
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Incisional Hernia

Wow, I'm so sorry all of you have had these additional complications. I have to tell you that this worries me. The left side of my incision has always bothered me - right from the beginning. When I went for my 6 week post op, I specifically mentioned it to the doc and had her look at the lump/bump on the left side. She said it looks like the left side of the incision has healed "deeper" than the other side, which creates the bump up above. I asked if it would improve and she said it may go down some, but will likely always be there. She suggested that I could massage it to help. I just wonder if I have a valid reason to worry..... hmmm...

Best wishes to everyone here, especially those who are facing repairs.
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Incisional Hernia

Really stupid question. How did you know you had a hernia. I had my TAH on 12/13/06. I've been full exercising since May. Spinning in March, Boot Camp 2 x's a week since May. I do spinning four times a week and do an 8 mile walk on Saturday and Sunday.
I feel great.
Except the last week or so, I have a strange pulling feeling just under the left side of my incision.
I just keep thinking it's nothing a pull of something.
Thanks.
Kathy
Unread 10-09-2007, 05:07 AM
Incisional Hernia

Keep an eye on it as it could be scar tissue also. Incisional hernia's are really pretty common. If you have continual discomfort or pain have a CAT Scan done to confirm what it is. See a surgeon (who didn't preform the 1st surgery)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register