question about fentanyl patches brand verses generic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question about fentanyl patches brand verses generic question about fentanyl patches brand verses generic

Unread 07-24-2007, 09:21 AM
question about fentanyl patches brand verses generic

I just saw the pain doctor, and I told him that the generic fentanyl patches I am using do not last, at best 48 hrs, he wants me to try the brand name patch, which will cost me about $100.00 with my insurance. If it helps maybe it is worth it, but with all the medical expenses and other things I am dealing with at this time, I really can't afford it.
Has anyone had any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2007, 04:24 PM

slt,
When I first started using the duragesic patch I was using the brand name patches. I found that they only lasted me 48 hours. I spoke with my pain doctor and after tweaking doseages with the same result, she changed my script to change every 48 hours instead of 72 hours. I do think the meds can take some time to build up in your system as I switched docs and she wouldn't write the script to change every 48 hours so I went back to every 72 hours. Really didn't notice that much of a difference. I did change to the generic patch when it came out. I haven't really noticed any difference. In fact, I prefer the generic. The duragesic is a reservoir patch, while the fentanyl patch is a matrix patch. I also found the generic to be a bit smaller.

I just thought of something. When I first started the Duragesic, my doctor gave me a coupon for a free month's worth of patches. I don't know if they still do that, but it may be worth investigating.
Unread 07-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Thanks Kim, that is exactly what I needed to know. I really can't afford that $100.00 right now. I really want to go to the MS conton instead anyway, and that is what I am going to tell the doctor next time. The patch dose of 25 just hasn't really helped me anyway, and I happened to find a bottle of the MS conton 60 mg. from a while back and tried one and for the first time I so so long I had no pelvic pain, this is the first time anything has really gotten the job done.
You can't really get out in the sun much or get too hot with the patches because it can cause you to absorb too much, and I am in the sun a lot, plus they are so constipating, they are just down right inconvenient for me, it takes a while for them to get in my system and then they wear off way too soon, and one time I scratched my arm, (sometimes they make you itch,) and I forgot and tore it off. If the 25s don't work the next step up is 50 and that may be too much.
These MS conton last a good 6 to 7 hrs and I could get by with 2 a day and night time I don't really need them. Have you ever tried those? It seems easier to control than the patch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2007, 04:45 PM

slt,
You were wearing the patch on your arm? I always wear mine on my lower hip area, towards the rear. I've not had any of the issues you've had. I think I have only had a patch fall off one time in the 4+ years I've been using it. I have soaked in a hot tub and take a hot bath every weekend with no problems at all. In the summer I swim in a pool quite often, and again no problems. I've not had any issues with constipation, but strong oral pain meds usually do that to me. It is not unusual at all to have to titrate up the dose when it comes to the patch. My pain doctor said they have to start you at 25mg, but with the second script they are usually bumping you up to the 50mg.

Anways, everyone is different, so it could be that the patch is just not for you. Myself, I prefer the patch over oral meds. My tummy is soooo sensitive that oral meds just don't mix well. When I started out in pain mgmt, I went right to the patch. I had read about it and thought it would be a better option for me with all my stomach issues. I find the patch to be no trouble at all. Just have to remember the changing schedule. I hope your pain doc will let you try the MS Conton.
Unread 07-25-2007, 07:57 PM

I have started having some problems with my stomach with the hydrocodone, but it is because I have had to take more of it, it didn't use to bother me, it also acts as a stimulate on me, and I have had a lot of stress lately and the combo is causing me more anxiety which is what really hurts my stomach. I have taken the hydrocodone for a long time and it does not cause the constipation issues, but boy when I use the patch I can really tell a difference, but it does have more of a calming effect unlike the hydrocodone.
I did take a MS conton the other day and it really gave me perfect relief for the first time in a long time. It lasted for at least 6 hrs, and I don't usually need anything at night, so 2 of those should be adequate. Thanks for your input Kim.
Unread 08-07-2007, 02:11 PM

HI, I am new here so I hope I am replying in the right spot. I was wondering about this patch. I have abdominal pain like ripping and tearing with lower back pain and have had it since my surgery three years ago. I have not found anything that I can take for the pain because pills usually cause my bowels to be worse (I have bowel problems now since the surgery.) Can you tell me what symptoms you have and why you chose the patch?
Unread 08-09-2007, 07:27 AM

The patch is a double edge sword for me, it does do a good job of pain relief, and one of the really good things I like about it is I wake up feeling so much better, but it is
---- on my bowels. I have never used anything that has made me more constipated than this, and I already have a problem with pressure and pain in the rectal area, so it really makes this worse. I have used the MS Contin and it really works great too, and that is what I am going to ask for when I go back, because there are some days when I don't need much and I think having that continous flow of the fentanyl worsens the constipation thing. The patch works for about 48 hrs but they do give break through meds
that can help with that. The hydrocodone is good too, but I started having stomach problems with that after a while.
Good luck.
Unread 08-15-2007, 02:55 PM

SLT,
WOW thanks for that info about it causing constipation. I cannot have that I am already on mirilax because after my hsyt I have something that keeps blocking my bowels when I get my infections every month or so.

I will ask about the MS Contin. what is that exactly? how expensive it is?
Unread 08-15-2007, 03:44 PM

Well, I hate to disappoint you, but the MS contin also constipates, but it is not so constipating to me as the patch. For one reason, I am not getting it around the clock, like the patch, and I can take less of it if I am not having such a bad day.
All of the opiates have that constipating affect, unfortunatly. It does seem like they could come up with a good pain reliever that does not do this. The hydrocodone was not`near so bad, but it just started having some negative side affects for me.
Unread 08-20-2007, 12:12 PM

Thanks Slt,
I was wondering what kind of pain do you have? I have pain from my hysterectomy I had three years ago, I am still in pain and they can't figure out what happened. I was not in this much pain before my hyst. My heart aches because I thought I my pain would go away after my hyst. but I need to find some kind of med that will stop the ripping, tearring pain in my abdomen. I had a total abdominal hyst by the way. Thanks for the info about the patch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register