uterine cancer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

uterine cancer? uterine cancer?

Unread 07-26-2007, 08:23 AM
uterine cancer?

Hi , I'm new to this site, and I'm so happy to have found this site.

I was wondering if I could get your advice on something.

I'm 41, have 4 children. Went to the gyn Monday. She said my uterus felt a little enlarged.
I had a vag u/s in 2006 and 2007 for "bloating" which was eventually found to be ulcerative colitis/proctitis.

The u/s in 2006 said the my uterus measured 7.9 and this endometrial stripe was 6mm. This was cycle day 6
the u/s in Feb 2007 said the uterus was 9.0 mm and the endometrial stripe was 8mm.

both times the MD radiologist said the report was "unremarkable", " no actue processes seen".

I have never had any irregular bleeding, never pain, periods are regular at 29-31 days. Only recently they have gone to 26-28 days. I have always had very bad ovulation pain that lasts one day or so, then goes away until the next month.

The MD is sending me for a repeat u/s in Aug 6th ( 6 days after this menses-hopefully)

I'm so concerned that this is uterine cancer.
My husband was dx with colon cancer 1 year ago. He is 41, never had a symptom/no fam hx.
The reason he had a colonoscopy was b/c I had one for my stomahc issues and I felt that it would be easier if we had them in the same yr, so I would remember that we needed them 5 yrs from now. It was a total and complete shock of our lives. THankfully, it is only end of stage 1, beginning of stage 2, so it was caught early.

But as you can see, I'm terrified of this happening again in my life.

Do you think this sounds like uterine cancer?
If so, is it fast growing that it wouldn't be seen in 2006 and 2007, but is here now??

I'm just freaking out a bit and MD is away...

Please let me know your thoughts/advice.

Thank you in advance.

Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2007, 09:16 AM
uterine cancer?

I had uterine cancer, or more specifically endometrial carcinoma. It took about 2 years of going from one doctor to another to finally be diagnosed. I went to my PCP who sent me to a gyn who sent me to a urologist who did a CT scan and a cystoscopy and found NOTHING wrong. I went back to the gyn (nurse practitioner) who said she didn't know what was going on but since my periods were so long and heavy that we should do a hydro-ablation. However, in order to do that procedure I had to have a biopsy of my uterus. She did it that day in her office and it took about 2 minutes. I got the results a week later indicating that I had cancer. The only option at that point was a hysterectomy. Which I had. And now I am cancer free. If you do have cancer it's not the end of the world - and if they catch it early enough you may end up like me not needing chemo or radiation. Early detection is very good.

I totally understand your fears and they are valid. The not knowing is hard. Ask your doctor for a uterine biopsy, then you'll know and you can either rest easy or you can get the treatment you need. Good luck.
Unread 07-26-2007, 09:27 AM
uterine cancer?

Thank you for your kind words...I need to wait for the ultrasound in 11 days and get the results of that before she will do an endometrial biopsy...
I will get one probably regardless of the results of the sono. I'm too freaked out about it, and unless the radiologist/MD can tell me for certain that it's not uterine/endo cancer, than I'm having it...

Thanks agian.
Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2007, 09:58 AM
uterine cancer?

Hi There
Know how you feel. Unlike you I had been having a year long period. One of the big signs of uterine ca. is bleeding and big clots. Sounds like you are doing the right things. But believe me early detection is the key. There is life after uterine cancer. I had adenocarcinoma Stage IB diagnosed by an endometrial biopsy done in the doctors office. Quick procedure only a little uncomfortable. Had a total abdominal hysterectomy with removal of tubes and ovaries and pelvic lymph nodes. I did not have to have chemo or radiation. I have to go to gyn doctor every 3-4 months for check ups but that is a small price to pay. Good luck and remember you are your best advocate!
Good Luck
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:50 PM
uterine cancer?

071205 said it all. That's exactly what my story is. The one thing I wish I had known before the biopsy was to take some ibprofen or aspirin because when they do it, it makes you feel like you are having cramps. Although I gotta admit the cramps I had with my period were MUCH more freakin' painful than the little cramps I felt during the biopsy....
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:40 PM
uterine cancer?

Jane,
I am sorry you fear you may have cancer and no doubt the fact your DH cancer was detected so unexpectedly plays a role in this also. When endometrial cancer is suspected (due to things like unusally heavy bleeding, more than normal periods) a vaginal sonagram often is used to determine if the endometrial lining is thicker than normal. It is very promising that the two u/s readings you've had were within the normal range (it can be as high as 12/13mm depending upon when taken in one's cycle); as the radiologist said they were unremarkable, etc. If the upcoming test is normal too but there are other symptoms pointing to possible uterine cancer, your doctor herself very likely would suggest a biopsy.
Hoping all goes well for you.
s
Unread 07-26-2007, 02:54 PM
uterine cancer?

Wow...

You guys are the best...

I've been feeling so scared and anxious for 3 days now and one visit here, and I already feel better.

I'm still anxious about the repead u/s, but I do feel better just hearing what you ladies have to say. You are all so knowledgeable about this.

Thank you Echo8.. it's comforting to know that if it is uterine cancer, that it may be caught early, especially sinec I don't have any symptoms excpet my uterus a little larger.I'm sorry that you had this, but I'm happy to hear that you are cancer free...

072105-I'm happy to hear that you,too are cancer free...
is this disease a slow growing one, like colon cancer is? or is it a fast growing one?? I think what saved my husband was that it was a slow growing one...however, the MD did say that he would have never made it to his standard 50 yo colonoscopy...it grows slowly, but unfortunately, it invades quickly.

thanks peggiesue for your information...so becasue I had the 2 ultrasounds, the last one being 5 months ago, and both wer " unremarkable" , that seems to point in my favor for not having it??

If the u/s is normal, do you all think I should get a biopsy anyway?? THe only symptom at this point is an enlarged uterus on exam?? Do you think I'm being neurotic if I do??

Thank you all so much for all of your kind words and advice...
THis is an AMAZING place...

Jane
Unread 07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
uterine cancer?

oh, I meant to ask, is a vaginal ultrasound effective in finding uterine cancer??

SO if my u/s's were negative so far, can I assume that I don't or didn't have it when they were taken??

What I mean is if there were cancer, would my lining still be at 8mm, or would it be larger, and would a vag u/s be able to tell that??

I'm sorry for all the silly questions...my MD is away....until the week of the sono, and I really don't have anyone else to talk to about this....

Thanks again
Unread 07-26-2007, 03:01 PM
uterine cancer?

My doc told me that uterine cancer is very slow growing. She used words like, "if you had been diagnosed in another two or three years then you would've probably needed radiation or chemo." Which leads me to believe that I had at least that long before I would've been in worse shape. I also had to have an ultra sound before the biopsy. And they didn't pick up on the tumor during that procedure. The only reason the NP did the biopsy was so we could move forward in doing a procedure to stop my psycho bleeding. There weren't a lot of other signs for cancer. Anyway, good luck and ask your doc lots of questions. Better to know and get it over with than worry and end up with a stress induced heart attack.
Unread 07-26-2007, 03:24 PM
uterine cancer?

so your ultrasound was negative???normal everything???

That scares me...how could that be?? How could there NOT be thickening or something??

So do you think in absence of bleeding/pelvic pain and other symptoms excpet uterus enlarged, that I should still get the biopsy??

I really need to do my homework on this...
I thank God I found this site before the u/s,,,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register