LSH and mini periods | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH and mini periods LSH and mini periods

Unread 07-26-2007, 10:38 AM
LSH and mini periods

Help...so I finally start feeling comfortable about my LSH in Sept. and now I am obsessing about the chance of having mini periods. My Dr. said he has had 3 patients have this happen. He has done over 100 LSH surgeries so I guess those are good odds. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Have a good day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2007, 10:57 AM
LSH and mini periods

sunlvr

I had an SAH, so can't speak from experience of an LSH, but hope to help you a little!

I have mini-periods. At their "heaviest", which was during the first 6 months, I needed a liner for about 48 hours. Now, 2+ years on, it's just an odd spot that doesn't make it far enough to require a liner now. To be honest, I use it as an inidicator that my ovaries are still working!

I was told to *expect* mini-periods as my cervix hadn't been cauterised. I've since learnt that most surgeons do cauterise as a matter of routine, but I knew nothing about it before surgery and so didn't ask. Of course, I suppose there can be the odd occasion where the cauterisation doesn't work, but I don't know.

The best thing you can do is ask about it at your next appointment. In the meantime, you may like to take a look at this HS article <link> Mini-Periods which will explain things more fully.

I hope some LSH ladies will come along and share their experiences. Wishing you all the best for your surgery in September.

Unread 07-26-2007, 11:03 AM
LSH and mini periods

If you retain the ovaries and cervix, you are at risk of haivng a mini period. From what I have learned, many doctors will cauterize the cervix to minimize that risk, but there are no guarantees. I am aware of women who have mini periods and say they are no big deal at all. I've heard of others who had 6 day *mini* periods, complete with cramps. That may be rare, but that is probably not a consolation to the woman who has to deal with it. My understanding is that the majority of the women would not have a mini period. However, only you (along with your doctor) can decided what is best for you.

For me, if I had a hysterectomy and then had a period, even if it was *mini*, I would be devastated. My periods were extremely painful and I didn't want any chance of ever having one again. With my history of endometriosis and possible adenomyosis, my doctor did not think it was in my best interest for me to keep my cervix anyways....and I was glad because, again, I didn't want to risk ever having a mini period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2007, 11:10 AM
LSH and mini periods

sunlvr, I just asked my DR today about mini-periods. I had an LSH on July 2nd...at first I didn't have any discharge until I saw him 9 days post-op and he did an internal exam. It's just about gone and for at least 6 weeks it's "normal." Anyways, he told me he's had maybe 5 patients that have had mini-periods but he cauterized my cervix well and I should not need to worry. At most he said the patients that did- spotted and it was nothing major. If you have decided to have the surgery, think positive and know that everyone is different and we all heal differently. Listen to your body! Best of luck

Mj
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:44 AM
LSH and mini periods

Hi Sunlvr,

I had my LSH (3) years ago and I have not had a mini-period in post-op. My Dr. cauterized my cervix during my hyst.

Hope that helps.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:53 AM
LSH and mini periods

I am 15 weeks post-op from my LSH and so far no mini-periods. My dr said he sees less than 1 in 10 in his patients. But, I just posted this on another thread yesterday, I feel like I am waiting for it to happen and that is driving me crazy!

My dr said I would know in 4-6 months if I was going to have them - I don't if he meant they could start anytime in the first 4-6 months, or if I was having bleeding on a regular basis for 4-6 months then that meant I would always have mini-periods!!! Ugh...I'll have to ask at my appt next week, I am so tired of feeling like I can still get one at any time!
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:03 PM
LSH and mini periods

i havent had any mini periods since my lsh. i would still have the same procedure done because of the easy recovery and retaining my ovary and cervix, knowing the risk. i personally would gladly take a few days of spotting. what i wanted to stop was the hemorrhaging periods.
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
LSH and mini periods

I have not had any mini-periods either, in fact had very little spotting after the surgery (only the first couple days), and nothing since. No cramping, no bleeding, life is good! I would have it done again in a heartbeat.
Unread 07-26-2007, 02:44 PM
LSH and mini periods

Thank you I truly appreciate everyones comments...very helpfull. I am going to think positive. As long as it is not a full blown period, I could deal with it. Anything with the word period makes me think about clots, massive bleeding and being confined to my house for days at a time. There are risks no matter what you do, but I will just try to be positive about it. Like you said pooodle it is a way to know everything is working.
Have a great day everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register