LAVH vs robotics LAVH...is it just Dr. preference or what?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH vs robotics LAVH...is it just Dr. preference or what?? LAVH vs robotics LAVH...is it just Dr. preference or what??

Unread 07-28-2007, 03:18 PM
LAVH vs robotics LAVH...is it just Dr. preference or what??

Hi All.....just trying to get all the info I can on the pros/cons for choosing plain LAVH or robotics LAVH. In the end does it just come down to what method your surgeon is most comfortable with and thereby has the most experience with??? It seems to me it should be more based on each person's particular medical situation. So if that's the case, can anyone out there tell me what the strengths/weaknesses of each method are.....or why they chose one method over the other. I know that the robotics method is obviously alot more high-tech.... but I think I've heard that it actually take longer for the surgery and uses more incision sites than the plain LAVH. Any help to these questions would be greatly appreciated. (I have already read thru all the robotics links supplied thru this web site and still do not have answers to the comparison questions (ie. pros/cons) between the two mehods.

Best regards,
Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2007, 03:44 PM

i have no idea but wanted to wish you good luck with your decision. were you offered an lsh?
i have seen the robotics film online and its amazing. i found with my surgery and other surgeries i have had that dr's usually only offer what they are capable of doing. i prefer to travel to the medical university for any procedures. i always feel like i am getting the most up to date procedures and well trained surgeons.
Unread 07-28-2007, 05:27 PM

I just had a robotic LAVH and I can tell you that I am glad I had it done that way. There is a LOT less bleeding with a robotic hyst because they cut and cauterize at the same time. Generally the hyster is 90 minutes (although mine was almost 3 hours because my uterus was bigger than they anticipated but this is NOT normal) so I would not say it is a longer process. However, my surgeon had been doing them since the inception (I had my surgery at Mayo hospital) so that may be why. It is also a lot more precise and therefore you don't have to worry about your bowels or other organs getting knicked my a shaking surgical hand or a surgeon suddenly sneezing or coughing. The robot will ignore and HUGE movements by the surgeon. Also, the surgeon can SEE with both eyes (3-D) as if he is inside with the cameras vs a regular lap where they are looking at an almost 2-D image. It is a lot safer as well.

I am 9 days post op and only take ibuprofen for the pain. I have been up and walking since the day after my surgery. I went out to lunch with DH yesterday and today we went shopping for over an hour. My incisions (4 small ones) are healing well. I am able to go up and down stairs and get up without assistance. Trust me, I am a WIMP when it comes to pain and I am amazed at how well I am feeling.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

s
Marla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2007, 05:48 PM

i'm so happy to see that youre feeling so good marla
Unread 07-28-2007, 10:35 PM

Jan, I am seeking out Robotic surgery because there's a possibility I will need lymph node sampling. My local doctor doesn't feel he can do lymph node sampling laprascopically. So, if it turned out I do have cancer, I would be facing a second surgery (open ) for sampling the lymph nodes.

If I have the robotic surgery at a larger hospital in another city, the surgeon (not my local doc) will be able to get the frozen section report and determine if lymph node sampling is necessary and IF SO.. she can do it robotically rather than having to schedule me for another surgery later.

I've also been told that the "regular" laprascopic surgery the tools only move in two directions, where with the robotic...the surgeon has much more range of motion.

My surgeon (gyn/oncologist) did say it takes at least an hour to get the instruments all setup. So, while the surgery itself might not be very long.. the setup and take down contribute to the time factor.

She also said that I could expect some shoulder pain from the carbon dioxide working its way out.. but I think that's true of both lap and robotic surgery.

I will have to drive 4 hours to get the robotic surgery, but to me.. it is worth it. Even having to do the more stringent bowel prep is worth it to me (and I have a very sensitive bowel).

Hope this helps you a little in your quest for information.
Unread 07-29-2007, 08:08 AM

Hi. I had a LAVH on July 5th. My gyn has been doing these for many years, very skilled surgeon. Also, had a lap a few years back to remove my left ovary. Again, with the same doctor and each time I have not experienced any problems. I took one percocet the day after surgery and just ibuprofen when I needed it, which was within the first 4-5 days after surgery. Haven't taken anything since, feel great. You can hardly see the incisions, seem to have faded quite quickly. I would say either procedure providing your doctor has access to the equipment and is skilled. But, there are many of us here, who have LAVH's and are doing wonderful. Best of luck to you!

Lizzie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register