Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007 - Page 18 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007

Unread 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Update

Hi,

I had my TVH on the 2nd. It hasn't been a great experience for me. I am envious of those who seem to be doing so well. TVH took place at noon. I cried my eyes out on OP table. OB was great! Held my hand until I was out. I woke in loads of pain!
They quickly hooked me up to a morphine pump which dispensed meds every 8 min. I pushed that button constantly!
Was wheeled to my room around 4PM. I shared a room with a pregnant woman who had an infection on her HEEL! How odd was it to be there with someone in the opposite end of the spectrom from me. Although I do not want more kids.
First night I just wanted to rest. My roomate was very inconsiderate. She had a party with about 4 visitors in her room from the time I got there until visiting hours ended. Even then as soon as her guests left she got going on the phone. Not only that, she had the TV on ALL NIGHT!!! In my opinion she shouldn't have even been in the hospital. She was way to well. Here I was very sick and fresh from surgery and I had no peace what so ever.
Hubby did complain to the nurses but they didn't do anything.
Morning after surgery was better. Quieter!!! I think since my roomate stayed up so late the night before she slept in for a long time. THANK GOD!!! I was hoping to go home but by afternoon I had no gas moving and I wasn't emptying anything into cathader bag. They decided they needed to keep me another night and send me up for a cat scan to see that nothing was blocked. I was sad. I wanted to go home. I was feeling very ill. Cat came out ok. They decided to leave the cathader in until next day and keep me on all liquid diet.
Morning 3 I was still in lot's of pain but moving more. Gas finally arrived and I got to eat REAL FOOD! Hubby and kids came up early afternoon excited to hopefully take me home. Doc came in to lay it on me that I would be staying yet another night!!! I was sad ofcourse. I had run a temp the evening before so they needed me to stay again due to the fear I may be getting an infestion. Naturally the family was upset but they understood. Good news was my rude company left early afternoon so it would be a quiet evening.
Morning 4 came I woke in a lot of pain again. I slept 8 hours straight so I had no pain meds in between that time. Doc came in and good news finally!! I got to go home!!! I was out by 11:00am.
Yesterday was my first full home day. Hubby and kids are taking good care of me. I am still in quite a bit of pain if I don't have meds. The worst is in the pelvic region. When I stand there is loads of pressure. I have also been having back pain and the worst neck and shoulder pain. I expected to be doing so much better then I am. Especially after reading how wonderful everyone else seemed to be doing with a TVH. I guess my body just did not like this procedure.
I go see doc on Thur. He knew my experience was more out of the norm so he wants to see me right away. Hopefully nothing further will have to be done.
Anyhoo I am happy to see that so many of you are well. I will catch up to you!!!!

Miss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007

j9c, are you doing the cath at home?
I hope the MoM helps! You must be misserable.
Unread 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j9c
Hi Girls!
I am very frustrated today. My surgery was the 31st and I still have not peed on my own or had a bm! Thank you for your post MollyPolly! Also- I agree that it's nice to read the signatures!!

My nurse said yesterday to do 3 doses of Milk of Mag- yuck - when I talked to her, dinner, and at bed- and she didn't know anyone who didn't have a bm after that- Well I'm one!! I still haven't gone! She also hasn't called back, but I left a message saying I need something I don't have to drink- that stuff is disgusting AND didn't work!
I am so glad we have this forum to vent!! Thank you girls for letting me get it out (not what I need to get out!)!
Take Care!
Jennine
Oh Jennine, I'm SO sorry that you still haven't peed or pooped. I can't believe it's been a week already. I assume you're eating regularly? Have you tried prune juice? Bran muffins? I'm grasping at straws for you honey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM

Hey I am feeling good but I am FRUSTRATED
just peed and some blood dropped in the bowl out but when I wipe it was just pink and not marking the pad. Freaked me out!!!
Unread 08-07-2007, 01:56 PM

I'm so thankful that I had a private room at the hospital! Missdsny1..what a horrible experience! Hang in there...now that you're home you will rest so much better and that is such a key to the healing process. Did you have packing in the vagina after your surgery? And did they remove it??? I remember feeling the pelvic pressure initially and that's what it was.
Unread 08-07-2007, 02:00 PM

Hi everyone -

A friend ground up so flaxseed for me and told me to take one tbsp - boy did that do the trick! Had my first BM several hours later - EXTREMELY painful though, spent close to an hour on the toilet crying the whole time. Stool softeners might have helped as well.

2nd bm this morning, no problem. just tired and sore, actually drove today (one day short of one week). Just trying as usual no to do too much!
Unread 08-07-2007, 02:10 PM

j9c-

Have you tried Dulcolax (it's a laxative in pill form)? Stool softeners (also pills)? Walking and lots of water? Guess if this goes on much longer I would demand to talk to my doctor.
Unread 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM

j9c, I sent you a pm.
Unread 08-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Possible BM Help...

In case there is anything useful in my approach to anyone having bowel problems , I'm adding the following:

I took my Dr's admonitions regarding bowel function quite seriously considering my less than ideal experience during my first surgery a few years ago. This time I have made sure to drink plenty of fluids, and I have limited my foods to things such as soups with grains/legumes and vegetables (light to no meat), lentils and cornbread, oatmeal with raisins, cream of wheat, and applesauce, with an occasional egg thrown in for protein. I have been diligent about taking a stool softener (no laxative) after each meal, plus I have made snacks of applesauce and/or a few prunes at least a couple times per day.

I have been having BMs daily, and have been able to relax and just let things happen (as advised by the Dr as well) without straining. He also advised me to avoid cheeses and meats, which I have done. All of this seems to be working relatively well. I don't think my bowel function is back to normal, but it is tolerable and is at least not becoming a problem in and of itself. I'll probably keep this up for the next week or so, or at least until I sense I can go back to a more solid diet without hurting myself. Perhaps I am overly cautious, but I am serious about avoiding the problems and pain I had the last time.

I am probably just repeating information available elsewhere, but if any of this helps anyone else, great!
Unread 08-07-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooff
In case there is anything useful in my approach to anyone having bowel problems , I'm adding the following:

I took my Dr's admonitions regarding bowel function quite seriously considering my less than ideal experience during my first surgery a few years ago. This time I have made sure to drink plenty of fluids, and I have limited my foods to things such as soups with grains/legumes and vegetables (light to no meat), lentils and cornbread, oatmeal with raisins, cream of wheat, and applesauce, with an occasional egg thrown in for protein. I have been diligent about taking a stool softener (no laxative) after each meal, plus I have made snacks of applesauce and/or a few prunes at least a couple times per day.

I have been having BMs daily, and have been able to relax and just let things happen (as advised by the Dr as well) without straining. He also advised me to avoid cheeses and meats, which I have done. All of this seems to be working relatively well. I don't think my bowel function is back to normal, but it is tolerable and is at least not becoming a problem in and of itself. I'll probably keep this up for the next week or so, or at least until I sense I can go back to a more solid diet without hurting myself. Perhaps I am overly cautious, but I am serious about avoiding the problems and pain I had the last time.

I am probably just repeating information available elsewhere, but if any of this helps anyone else, great!
I wish I could get my nausea to go away long enough to eat anything but wheat crackers, scrambled eggs, toast, and applesauce. (

Luckily, my Senokot has been working for me, so the BMs seem to be ok, but I've had IBS for years, so I don't expect to be cured now. I just don't want to tear anything, since I had a rectocele repair.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register