Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007 - Page 32 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007

Unread 08-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007

Gardner,
I too have had direct orders from my Dr. to pretty much stay put in the house with minimal walking (10 to 15 min. at a time, 2 or 3 times a day), I was told stairs in my house only once a day, no riding in cars and to watch the getting up and down (started having bladder spasms and was told I was getting up and down too much). I still have some pain and am taking pain meds once in the afternoon and when I go to bed at night.

As for stitches, I had external staples that were removed the day I left the hospital and internal disolvable ones so no stitches to be removed.

I realized a few days ago I could not compare my recovery to anyone elses on here because my surgery was mine and my recovery is mine and a TAH is a totally different animal from a TVH (same results different surgery). TVH was never an option for me because of other exploritory and corrective surgical procedures that had to be done.

Listen to your Doctor and follow orders, he or she knows you and your body and has your best healing interest in their hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarnAddict
Gardner,
I too have had direct orders from my Dr. to pretty much stay put in the house with minimal walking (10 to 15 min. at a time, 2 or 3 times a day), I was told stairs in my house only once a day, no riding in cars and to watch the getting up and down (started having bladder spasms and was told I was getting up and down too much). I still have some pain and am taking pain meds once in the afternoon and when I go to bed at night.

As for stitches, I had external staples that were removed the day I left the hospital and internal disolvable ones so no stitches to be removed.

I realized a few days ago I could not compare my recovery to anyone elses on here because my surgery was mine and my recovery is mine and a TAH is a totally different animal from a TVH (same results different surgery). TVH was never an option for me because of other exploritory and corrective surgical procedures that had to be done.

Listen to your Doctor and follow orders, he or she knows you and your body and has your best healing interest in their hands.
I agree with you completely. I was comparing at first, and then realized that my situation may be different from the next sister's, so I don't gauge my healing on other's healing. Although, I sure do wish my progress was further along, LOL.

Good luck and take it slow.
Unread 08-11-2007, 07:44 AM

I'm starting to feel soooo depressed. I lost my job last January and was ok on unemployment until it ended the week of my surgery. Now my husband was just laid off and as I told you all before, my daughter and her two boys showed up homeless last week. They've been staying with us, and it's very stressful. She drives my husband crazy and there is so much tension, and I feel in the middle all the time. Not a very healing environment! The good news is, she may have found emergency housing and might be leaving tonight.

I want to solve our problems and hurry out there and find a job or do something to fix it, but I have another doctor-ordered week of staying home. I'm so frustrated and starting to panic. My husband has an interview lined up, but it is in a town 2 hours away, where we would move if he got it. That's scary, too!

Anyone have any tips for me on what I can do or perspective on how it might get better one day?

The other thing is, I don't really have any close friends here (just got married and moved here a few years ago and I'm shy). Just reading all your posts is helping some - I at least feel a little sense of connection.

It's harder than it would seem to rest for 2 weeks, isn't it? Sorry to dump all of this on you ladies. I think I needed to vent. Yikes! Thanks for "listening"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gardener
MollyPolly - Yes 72 stitches! He actually did a wonderful job and I have no scar from it, not that anyone would see it anyway, except my DH!!! Unfortunately, one of my incisions from my LSH is going to leave a "nasty scar" (according to my discharge nurse)! I don't guess my dream of wearing a bikini one day again will ever come true!!!
Oh, my bikini days are over too. My incision goes from my belly button to my pubic bone. It's UGLY, but it's worth it to be rid of that endo that has plagued me for so many years. I'll take the scars. After all, I have lumpectomy, port, and biopsy scars too. I'm just a road map. *Giggle*
Unread 08-11-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossandferns
I'm starting to feel soooo depressed. I lost my job last January and was ok on unemployment until it ended the week of my surgery. Now my husband was just laid off and as I told you all before, my daughter and her two boys showed up homeless last week. They've been staying with us, and it's very stressful. She drives my husband crazy and there is so much tension, and I feel in the middle all the time. Not a very healing environment! The good news is, she may have found emergency housing and might be leaving tonight.

I want to solve our problems and hurry out there and find a job or do something to fix it, but I have another doctor-ordered week of staying home. I'm so frustrated and starting to panic. My husband has an interview lined up, but it is in a town 2 hours away, where we would move if he got it. That's scary, too!

Anyone have any tips for me on what I can do or perspective on how it might get better one day?

The other thing is, I don't really have any close friends here (just got married and moved here a few years ago and I'm shy). Just reading all your posts is helping some - I at least feel a little sense of connection.

It's harder than it would seem to rest for 2 weeks, isn't it? Sorry to dump all of this on you ladies. I think I needed to vent. Yikes! Thanks for "listening"!
I'm so sorry you're going through this! I wish I had some advice for you, but unfortunately I can't relate to your situation. I can listen to you vent though, so please try to keep your spirits up and avoid stress as much as possible. Maybe everyone could just get along for YOUR sake, as you ARE the patient after all.

Praying for a peaceful household for you.
Unread 08-11-2007, 08:47 AM

YarnAddict and MollyPolly- Thanks for reminding me that we all heal differently. I was complaining last night to my DH that some of my sisters were already walking and exercising, then he asked how many of them were told in March that they could not exercise, garden or travel out of state by their Dr and how many of them left the hospital with a hemoglobin count of 7 after a blood transfusion? He then told me if he were my Dr he would have put me on 3 weeks house confinement, because he doesn't trust me either. (LOL) But he does know that I will listen to my Dr. It's just been a little hard for someone who is hyper and has a hard time sitting in one place for more than 30 minutes!!! But it will come.
Thanks for the words of advice.
Unread 08-11-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossandferns

Mossandferns - I too wish I could give you some advice, but unfortunately the only thing I can say is that God never gives us more than we can handle. I am a firm believer in this. This may be a hard time, but still remember you have to pamper yourself and heal. You need your health. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Remember you have your sisters and if you need to vent we are here.
Unread 08-11-2007, 09:04 AM

keep the scar away from any sun for at least one year and as soon as it is healed closed as the doctor for some medical silicon, I used one from a plastic surgeon called Scar Fade. There are a couple produts over the counter you can find too, just spread that stuff on your scar twice a day and you will be so happy and amazed at how good your scar looks, it miight take two or three months, but it will really improve it.
Unread 08-11-2007, 12:38 PM

My oh My what I have missed!

Yarn addict, what do you do with yarn? I just started crocheting (is that how you spell it) and my aunt gave me about a $1000 worth of yarn She too is a yarn addict. My cedar chest is full, a small box on casters that was my great grandmothers, is full and 3 suitcases are full, each one of those is an afghan. I started an afghan last night, these all have 6 strangs of yarn and are beautiful. I am going a giant granny square afghan.

j9c, where are you? Are you doing okay?

Moss, my little sister has 3 kids. 2 of them were born inbetween her 22nd and 23rd birthday
She is married but seperated this summer and not sure what they are going to do. She left the family at age of 18 and didn't want anything to do with us so we kind of feel like she made her own bed and she needs to sleep in it. My mom has tried to rescue her many times but my sister never learned and never bettered herself in the process so we are all pretty much done with her. Also, her first child was born to an abusive guy and we found cigarette burns on the babys clothes. Sister was too tired to deal with baby so we tried our best to have the baby be adopted, my older brother and his wife wanted the baby as well as some real good friends but she wouldn't do it. I could go on and on and on. I am sure that your situation isn't as bad!
But I would say that she needs to get herself somewhere to live that is safe and away from you while you heal and get stronger.
Is the town where you DH is applying a nice town? I always figure if we moved from the town I was born in (yep still here!) then I would find free crochet/knitting classes to meet other women. Also crafting classes, my town has awesome classes for making cards and little scrapbooks that are easy to do! And the classes aren't too expensive, $10 or $15.
I do pray that things get better for you! I think of you often.

All of you, Ladies who have been home-bound or home-ridden, I am just curious ... how old are your doctors? I am wondering if it is an old school type thing or if young doctors are still abiding by this.

What is a chip sandwich? Sounds yummy

I will shut up now.
Unread 08-11-2007, 01:23 PM

well i came home thurs late evening. All went well with surgery but I have to tell you I am black and blue and so very sore. I will do my lilk walk and thats usuallt to bathroom and back to bed or chair. I had to go upstairs when I got hom and that was no fun at all so been up here ever since. not looking forward to going down. dh and dd and ds have been wonderful through it all.I just can't wait till i feel better. ok off to bed feeling sleepy.
satinbtterfly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register