Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007 - Page 43 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007

Unread 08-14-2007, 04:21 AM
I am healing and feeling GREAT -- Prolly to good!

This is my first post on here and I hope I do it right.

I am 41 years old I started having major problems in February – I was put on 400mg. of Prometrium and 0.5Mg. of Premarin. In the past I have had 4 endometriosis surgeries; 3 laparoscopic and 1 laparotomy. I have also had polycystic ovaries – basically my insides are a mess – my Dr. referred to them as very diseased.

On Tuesday July 31, 2007 – I had a Laparoscopic Assisted Total Vaginal Hysterectomy, Bilateral Salpingo Ophorectomy, Anterior Colporrhaphy with Mesh (Perigee), Midurethral Sling (Monarch)……

My husband and 3 children (ages 13, 9 and 6) have been wonderfully supportive. My children have taken on extra chores to try and help mom out while Dad is at work!

We live in the country my neighbors are my parents and my grandmother lives with them – they have been VERY helpful! Then my brother (he doesn’t deal well when people are ill – so he avoids the topic – has never asked how I’m doing or nothing) and his wife (I found out in April she’s hated my parents and me for years and only tolerated us cause she’s married to my brother – she’s 6 years younger than me – never been thru this but told my 13 year old daughter it’s NO BIG DEAL – your mom will be fine…haha) and their 4 kids (ages 10 & 6) –They’ve never called or inquired how I’m doing (not even the day of surgery), stopped by, walked over NOTHING!!!!! So I envy those of you who have had various family and neighbors stopping by – that’s VERY NICE of them!

As to how I’m feeling right now -- I’d have to say my bottom becomes sore from sitting in harder chairs and every now and then I feel a slight pulling maybe even stinging sensation below. My legs ached and felt really sore last week but this week I noticed the ouchieness is subsiding. I do know I seem to tire easily – which is so unlike me…..

Right now I’d say since my surgery a few of my complaints would be stupid ones that I can’t understand...

I have had a terrible time with my eyes – yes I said eyes! Haha….My eye sight has changed or something. Things seem blurry and putting on my glasses (that I just got prior to surgery they also happen to be bifocals -- yes the Dr. said a sure sign of my age – gee thanks Doc) don’t even seem to help! I normally only wear my glasses for reading. SOMETIMES I’d try to get by with holding the item I was reading out and away from me – BUT – this technique isn’t working! Haha……I then put on my glasses but have a hard time bringing the words into focus!

Concentration – I can’t seem to concentrate. I love to read and I love looking at cookbooks – prior to surgery I ordered myself several romance books and cookbooks. I can’t sit still and read or even look at the pictures! Now come on – this is the perfect time to prop my feet up, relax with a good book and not feel guilty and I can’t seem to do it……WHY?

The eye sight and concentration thing I am wondering if those may not be effects from the anesthetic?

SLEEP DISORDER: I feel like a baby who is all out of whack. I know I am tired - I feel tired – my body feels tired – BUT - I can’t sleep. Some nights I find I go to bed and just lay wide awake; I keep telling myself I’ll fall asleep soon – I need to because I need my rest…..Then some nights like last night I was so tired at 9:00pm. I went to bed , fell asleep - slept good until 2:30am. I’ve been awake ever since sitting at my puter and trying to type this note! Haha…..

Appetite – I have NONE and when I do can’t find anything that tastes good! So I’m not eating a whole lot which is probably leading to my next problem!

Constipation and Gas – I read all the warnings – prepared myself even! I have the Gas X and started using stool softener when I came home from the hospital. I took the stool softener the first few days – once I went decided okay I got it going I don’t need it. I then went 4 days without going so I took 2 more to try and go – then 2 more and I finally went – WHEW what a relief!!!!! BUT how long will this go on???? I hate to have to depend on stool softeners.

So for the most part I’m feeling good – better than I have in a long time and free of many pains!

As far as the meds I am taking: Premarin 0.3mg. tablet once a day and Premarin Vaginal Cream 0.5Grams before bed. I am no longer taking Prometrium.

On Monday Aug. 6 I started to return to some of my normal house duties: Cooking, Light Housework (I swept my floor – not sure that’s a good idea – but - I didn’t feel it hurt to do it), Laundry – I place it in washer – then in dryer - fold it right out of the dryer – place it in piles for the kids to put their own away – I don’t lift any baskets! Basically I find I do a little then rest a little……I’m half eager to start driving!

I have found the HysterSisters sight to be very informative and helpful thru this ordeal! I would be interested in hearing from others and sharing our stories! I think I have wore myself out and I'm going to try and go back to sleep now!!!!

Take Care

to all

Kimmie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007

Welcome Kimmie and I would say that you are probably going through natural changes. Our bodies have gone through a lot and it's all been an eye opener for it too. As for you glasses--I work for an optomitrist--go in an have the optician adjust them, maybe they just are not sitting properly on your face and your eyes just cannot adjust to them. If they are off just a tiny bit, your eyes may have great difficulty adjusting.

My surgery will have been 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I haven't said much, but I am listening and I think we are all pretty much on the same page. I seem very teary, very emotional, yet my PCP changed my Celexa the day before surgery, so who knows if it's the Celexa or the hormone change or BOTH. I get spurts of energy and do a few things, then before I am done, I fizzle out and need a nap! All to be expected, I guess.

I have my 2 week check up tomorrow with my doc and will probably return to work the following Monday, I am thinking maybe 1/2 days for the week. I am an optometric asst/accts payable--I do not need to do any lifting and can do lots of catch up work at my desk. We will see how that goes.

You have all been great!
Unread 08-14-2007, 08:30 AM

Hello, all! And welcome Kimmie!

I am two weeks post-surgery today (LAVH). I feel more like myself every day! Started driving again and it's so nice to be able to do that, at least. I feel good, little to no actual pain, just tire easily. Going back to work the day after Labor Day.

I am having some trouble sleeping at night, but I think it's because my normal schedule is off and also because I am not able to exercise strenuously 6 days a week like I did pre-surgery.

Appetite is back to normal, as are my bowel habits. One nice thing I have noticed is that my bladder seems to have regained its capacity.

Ovaries seem to be working, as my breasts are tender as they usually are about 10 days prior to my period. So a good sign! Will be nice not to actually have a period, though! No hot flashes or anything else going on.

Wishing everyone well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Doing Well.

TAH and was home 3 days later. Doing ok so far, a bit woosy in the mornings. Not sure if this is from hormones or Ibuprofen. My incision was vertical so I cant do much and I am bored out of my mind. How much TIVO can a girl stand? Surrounded by loving hubby and preteen son, send the marines!
Unread 08-14-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieOH

Concentration – I can’t seem to concentrate. I love to read and I love looking at cookbooks – prior to surgery I ordered myself several romance books and cookbooks. I can’t sit still and read or even look at the pictures! Now come on – this is the perfect time to prop my feet up, relax with a good book and not feel guilty and I can’t seem to do it……WHY?

The eye sight and concentration thing I am wondering if those may not be effects from the anesthetic?

SLEEP DISORDER: I feel like a baby who is all out of whack. I know I am tired - I feel tired – my body feels tired – BUT - I can’t sleep. Some nights I find I go to bed and just lay wide awake; I keep telling myself I’ll fall asleep soon – I need to because I need my rest…..Then some nights like last night I was so tired at 9:00pm. I went to bed , fell asleep - slept good until 2:30am. I’ve been awake ever since sitting at my puter and trying to type this note! Haha…..

Appetite – I have NONE and when I do can’t find anything that tastes good! So I’m not eating a whole lot which is probably leading to my next problem!

Constipation and Gas – I read all the warnings – prepared myself even! I have the Gas X and started using stool softener when I came home from the hospital. I took the stool softener the first few days – once I went decided okay I got it going I don’t need it. I then went 4 days without going so I took 2 more to try and go – then 2 more and I finally went – WHEW what a relief!!!!! BUT how long will this go on???? I hate to have to depend on stool softeners.

So for the most part I’m feeling good – better than I have in a long time and free of many pains!

On Monday Aug. 6 I started to return to some of my normal house duties: Cooking, Light Housework (I swept my floor – not sure that’s a good idea – but - I didn’t feel it hurt to do it), Laundry – I place it in washer – then in dryer - fold it right out of the dryer – place it in piles for the kids to put their own away – I don’t lift any baskets! Basically I find I do a little then rest a little……I’m half eager to start driving!

I have found the HysterSisters sight to be very informative and helpful thru this ordeal! I would be interested in hearing from others and sharing our stories! I think I have wore myself out and I'm going to try and go back to sleep now!!!!

Take Care

to all

Kimmie
Hi Kimmie, Welcome to the show!

I hope you don't mind I cut your post down a little to quote. I think your list of complaints could have came right out of my head.

As far as the appetite goes mine has been the same way. BUT yesterday it seemed I ate everything. My boyfriend was amazed at my appetite. The only problem now is I crave strange things. And I really only want those things. When I first came home from the hosp it was beenie weenies, then bologna and cheese sandwiches, then chocolate chip cookies now watermelon. I told my boyfriend it is more like I am pregnant. Geez!

Everything else is almost exactly what I have been saying to my boyfriend.

My question is even though I kept my ovaries can I still be having the strange hormonal stuff going on? I know I shouldn't go through menepause yet but some of the other things are a little crazy.

Kimmie, make sure you don't do too much! Make sure you get plenty rest in between your little chores. I am completely understanding being ready to drive! I haven't been able to yet and I plan on making my debute on Thursday provided everything keeps going well for me.

This site is the best site ever. I have an ex-boyfriend that wrote me the other day because his wife is getting ready to have the surgery and he had all sorts of questions. I answered the ones I could but then pointed them to this site. I am so happy I stumbled upon it. It is wonderful on so many levels!

Thanks to everyone!
Unread 08-14-2007, 09:03 AM

Bubblerella, I too kept one ovary and seem to be having hot flashes, and other weird symptoms. I see the doc again in a week, I'll update more then. ~Mandy
Unread 08-14-2007, 10:01 AM
my hysterectomy

I had mine on August 3rd. I had not been prepared for what was going to happen to me, as a matter of fact I was told that I could return to work the following tuesday, my surgery was on a friday. I have a total of five incisions, and just had my uterus removed. I thank God I have a wonderful boss and co-workers, because I was out a whole week. My incisions were glued, and have since all split open. I returned to work on August 13th, and am doing well now, but I can honestly say I am so proud you are out here to better inform everyone of what will happen, so they are not as misinformed as I was.
Unread 08-14-2007, 10:36 AM

how come you are back to work so soon?
Unread 08-14-2007, 11:04 AM

I do not understand why I was told I could come back so soon, I am sure in part because I sit behind a desk, and I have a wonderful co-worker who will do all lifting, carying, and walking for me if I need her to. I know now I should not have been told I could come back 4 days after surgery, but I have done well by coming back on the 13th. I have the option to leave if I need to, and I did not work a full day yesterday. I can not understand why I was so mislead... I knew nothing before sugery about being on morphine or about how severe my gas pains would be.
Unread 08-14-2007, 11:10 AM

I feel so bad for you idyhamm77!!!!!
you need your rest...they say 6 weeks recovery for us girls...
you must be tired...
take care and dont over do!
Brenda
tvh 7/31/07

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register