Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007

Unread 08-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 30-Aug 06,2007

Today:
I slept pretty good last night, well better than I had been. I slept in 2 - 3 hour increments. And inbetween was only up about 1/2 hour. So that was a huge improvement.
Took 1 hydry at 10 last night and 2 ibuprophen and woke up with just a little back ache this morning. I don't think I will take any more hydro but I want to keep taking the ibuprophen so that I am not uncomfortable.
WE have only taken 2 loops around the neighborhood but plan to take at least 4 more. I sure helps with the gas and bm's when I walk.
Had a wonderful bm earlier and boy did that feel good.
All the inlaws have called today and are glad I am feeling well.
DH bbq'ed hotdogs for lunch and eggplant from the garden. He is taking such good care of me!

This is so funny - I was typing this and all of a sudden felt tired so I went to lay down and I slept about 3 hours!!!! I guess I was tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2007, 06:36 PM

Hi Girls!

Tara- I can totally relate!! I felt the same way- it hurt as she pulled and pulled and pulled!

Iwaveatcows- I was not getting reminders either, but tonight I had 2, so go figure!

Sounds like everyone is doing as good as can be expected!

I am going to continue my Hysterectomy story- I am copying this to my computer so I'll have it- don't feel like you have to read it!!

Part 3 of My Hysterectomy Story

After talking to the doctors and trying to get in good with the new nurse I was going to have all day, my dh left to get himself some breakfast. While he was gone they checked my vitals and I had a fever of 102. A little later they checked my blood pressure and it was 60 something over 40 something- they did it twice and it was the same! So she used the manual one and it was 80 something over 60 something- still very low, but okay. While my dh was gone, they delivered my breakfast and put it on the table at the end of the bed! I couldn't get out of bed to get it because I still had my bag. I was so aggravated, but I wasn't going to call my nurse. So when my dh got back around 11, I had warm milk, cold eggs and bacon. Good thing I wasn't hungry!

They took the catheter out so I could walk around and try to pee on my own. I was able to get up and do 2 laps around the hospital floor. I felt pretty good. Then it was time to pee on my own. I sat in that bathroom at least half an hour. I had the water running, my hands in warm water, water on my wrists, and anything else I could think of. It wasn't going to happen. My nurse had to teach my dh how to cath me so we could go home. He was a trooper!! He had to do it every 3 hours- after I tried my best to go on my own.

That afternoon my doctor came in to check on me and saw my fever (which was only about 100 then), my blood pressure, and that I couldn't pee and said she wanted me to stay another night for observation. I was not happy about this given my last night's experience, but I also didn't want to be an hour away if something were to happen. So we stayed.

My nurse, who I think I finally won over, wrote the instructions for the night nurse to wake me up and give me Percocet every 4 hours no matter what! It was a much better night! But since I still couldn't pee she had to wake me up every 4 hours at night to cath and take my meds- which I was happy to do! At 2 am she got out 750 ml and called my doctor because I have internal stitches that could get pulled out with too full of a bladder. She came back in around 3 to put me back on the bag!

In the morning I saw my doctor and she said things were looking good except not peeing on my own. They would take me off the bag and I had to be cathed every 2 and a half to 3 hours. We agreed and packed to go home!

I was starting to get a migraine, so I called the nurse at 7:30 to ask for an Imitrex. She peeked her head in and said she was going to try to get it ordered around 8. At 9:00 the nurse I had the day before was on- I asked her about the Imitrex and she said there was nothing about it in my chart! The night nurse had done nothing!

They called the "Valet Service" to wheel me to the front door. Well that's exactly what he did. He pushed me so fast I was hanging on and thank goodness I had my pillow over my stomach for all the bumps we went over- I was just praying we'd make it to the front door. Then he just left me there! My dh had gone to get the car and the "Valet" told someone what dh drives and he left. When dh got to the door no one came, so I got up and walked to the car- my dh helped me in! I have been in the hospital many times and have never been allowed to walk out of the hospital. Anyway, I was very happy to leave!!

So that's my story! What a mess! I will not go to that hospital again. All of my breast cancer stuff was done at a hospital closer to where I live- and I love it there. I would have gone there, but the only Urogynecologist I could find was at this other hospital- I was happy with the doctors.

I hope everyone continues to heal and keep us updated- this is great reading!!

Take Care
Jennine
Unread 08-04-2007, 06:58 PM

Hi MollyPolly!
If you don't mind sharing your breast cancer story I would be very interested- we are similar in age- I'm 37. I was diagnosed in June of 06 - age 36- with Stage 2 IDC. I just finished with my breast cancer treatments June 29th- radiation. I was triple positive- so I had the ovaries taken out. I was also Her2 positive- were you?

Since I had the ovaries out I am assuming I will go right into menapause. I'm not sure when it's supposed to happen, but I haven't felt much. Just hot at night- but not really bad.

Take Care!
Jennine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2007, 09:33 PM

Hello all! Finally alert enough to post. I have dropped into read but really haven't been out of my brain fog till tonight.

I had TAH & LSO on Monday the 30th at 7 am. I really don't remember much after the anesthesiologist gave me the injection but my DH says I joked around with my Surgeon and his assistant about doing a good job and making sure I didn't wind up with 2 scars (one from previous cesarean) and why not just go ahead and do some lipo and a tummy tuck while they were at it. I don't remember a word of it and I think he is making it all up.

Surgery took about 2 hours. Uterus full of fibroids (knew this one) but the left ovary was a bit of a surprise. we knew it was slightly enlarged but the plan was to keep the ovaries. When they got in there they found that the left ovary was the size of a baseball with 2 tumors and infected. So out it came. Funny thing is when all this started a year ago I told my Dr. that I thought my left ovary was inflamed. None of the test we did idicated it was really problem. Go figure. Pathology reports say no cancer!

The Castle stay was great. Morphine Drip for the first 24 hours after surgery then on to percocets and Motrin. The legs compressions drove me nuts the first 24 hours, thank God for the back scratcher. All the nurses were wonderful except for one on Wednesday, she had everyones pain med schedules all screwed up and we had to keep correcting her (there were 3 of us with surgeries the same day).

I was up and walking on day 2, no problem urinating on my own, took a while for gas to pass but it finally rumbbled.

The biggest problem I had was that I just couldn't sleep. But I think most of my problem is the pain meds. For some reason most of them react like speed for me. So i spent alot of time knitting and knitting and knitting.

I was sent home on Thursday at 11 am. Was given Darvocet and Motrin for pain. Love the Darvocet, I can sleep on it. My biggest problem since I've been home is no appitite and if I go too long with out pain meds I get nauseous from the pain.

DH and 17 yo DD have been wonderful. DD spent the day in bed with me yesterday, watching movies and making me food and doing my nails. Dh couldn't take any time off work but he has been coming home and making sure I'm taken care of and fixing dinner and pampering me. I'm so lucky!
Angela
Unread 08-04-2007, 09:48 PM

Hi Angela!
I'm glad you had a good experience! It's great to have good support!
Are you still on the Darvocet? Because my surgery was Tue. and I'm still on the Percocet every 4 hours and 600 Ibuprofen every 6- I'm scared to stop taking them!
Maybe you could take a little snack with your meds if they upset your stomach- even a few crackers should help.
Good luck and I hope things get better!
Take Care
Jennine
Unread 08-04-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j9c
Hi Angela!
Are you still on the Darvocet? Because my surgery was Tue. and I'm still on the Percocet every 4 hours and 600 Ibuprofen every 6- I'm scared to stop taking them!
Maybe you could take a little snack with your meds if they upset your stomach- even a few crackers should help.
Good luck and I hope things get better!
Take Care
Jennine
Yes I'm still on the Darvocet and Ibuprophen (600 every 6 hours). Actually I got a script for 40 to take 2 every 4 hours so that is 5 days worth with a refil for 40 more. My Dr. said he expects me to monitor myself and not to hurt. He does not believe in hurting.
The nausea is whe I've been too long without pain meds like when i first wake up. I've been keeping saltines next to the bed.
Unread 08-05-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j9c
Hi MollyPolly!
If you don't mind sharing your breast cancer story I would be very interested- we are similar in age- I'm 37. I was diagnosed in June of 06 - age 36- with Stage 2 IDC. I just finished with my breast cancer treatments June 29th- radiation. I was triple positive- so I had the ovaries taken out. I was also Her2 positive- were you?

Since I had the ovaries out I am assuming I will go right into menapause. I'm not sure when it's supposed to happen, but I haven't felt much. Just hot at night- but not really bad.

Take Care!
Jennine
Actually, I posted my story on the "Breast" board, so you're more than invited to read my story, but long story short here, I have Stage IV breast cancer recurrence. I was initially diagnosed at age 31, and I'm now 36.

The closer you are to natural menopause, the less the symptoms are bothersome, and since you also had chemotherapy, you probably had hot flashes then. I sure did and have them often now. Night sweats are brutal too.

My receptors were ER+, PR+, HER2/neu-, which is usually an excellent prognosis, but fate threw me a curve ball with this new diagnosis. I'm taking things one day at a time, and trying to get past this hysterectomy recovery (UGH)
Unread 08-05-2007, 08:35 AM

Hi folks -

Had LSH on the lst, wound up keeping ovaries, came home on the 3rd. VERY tired and sore. Friends bringing over dinners, and mother in law kept kids most of the weekend, so very grateful. Still no BM, but lots of gas pains (should I take a laxative?)
Thanks to everyone on this site - they have been wonderful.
Unread 08-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Dear Kat 1319

Is there any way you could ask your husband to suggest his family wait a couple weeks before they come? He could remind them that even IF so-and-so had a hysterectomy, everyone recovers at their own rate.

This is our time.........the ONE (HA!) time we don't have to think twice about considering ourselves FIRST.

I hope everything works out for the best for you!
Unread 08-05-2007, 10:20 AM

CA Princess -
Yes, you should take something for gas pain . . . Gas X and/or a stool softner. I had LSH on the 1st, too, and have avoided bowel problems by using both. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register