Single women? Women who are not mothers? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Single women? Women who are not mothers? Single women? Women who are not mothers?

Unread 08-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Single women? Women who are not mothers?

Ann43 - I do not ever think you can desensitize to clueless people that harm babies. How stupid do you have to be to think doing crack or heroin while your pregnant isn't going to be a problem.

I think the problem is that they simply do not care... most people are selfish about things, and add stupid and selfish together, and well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2007, 03:09 PM
It's NOTB

So A6000. You don't have to share your soul with people. It's none of their business NOTB. They only ask where your children are so that they can talk about theirs. Figure out some canned answers and use them. Counter with the same question. "Oh, you have children - tell me about them...how old...girls or boys...etc." Use the old answer "I haven't found the right one yet." or "I'm still looking." Before they can get the next question in counter with one that gets them talking and keep your mouth shut. They will go away and so will the questions.

My son was killed in 2005 and believe me, I can't talk about it without crying so I've had to find ways to avoid telling everyone my life story. This works.

Lets talk about the general anesthetic if you are worried about that. Have you talked about this with the surgeon? (Of course you have) So, you are going to write something up about your problems with the general anesthetic and you will HAND it to the surgical nurses when they wheel you in for surgery. This is after you again repeat to every nurse or doctor you see in the hospital your story about general anesthetic. Keep it short but specify your problems and what the general anesthetic does to you. Make sure they understand it and specify that they REMIND your surgeon. Those people see a lot of patients and they don't always remember every conversation.

Can you get someone to sit with you at the hospital after the surgery and to spend the night with you if necessary?
Unread 08-12-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersnow
My son was killed in 2005 and believe me, I can't talk about it without crying so I've had to find ways to avoid telling everyone my life story. This works.

Lets talk about the general anesthetic if you are worried about that. Have you talked about this with the surgeon?

Can you get someone to sit with you at the hospital after the surgery and to spend the night with you if necessary?
I do not know what to say about your son, so I will say nothing. But I cannot imagine your agony over it, though...

As for general anesthetic, yes I will sit down with the anesthesiologist, and tell her all about it. As for my doctor, she knows me pretty well enough that she eremembers my whole name without looking at my chart. (middle names too)

Yes, I have someone to stay with me if needed. But good to keep in mind anyway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Well then you've done all you can. If your doctor knows you that well there will be no problems.

Your going to love not having that organ and keeping the ovaries. It's like having cake and eating it too. My girlfriend laughs and says "I have a life" whenever anyone tries to corner her about having children or being married. People who have children think everyone should . . very few of them are as happy as they pretend.
Unread 08-12-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersnow
Well then you've done all you can. If your doctor knows you that well there will be no problems.

Your going to love not having that organ and keeping the ovaries. It's like having cake and eating it too. My girlfriend laughs and says "I have a life" whenever anyone tries to corner her about having children or being married. People who have children think everyone should . . very few of them are as happy as they pretend.
Indeed...
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:25 AM

Very well put with the cake analogy! I agree. My dr. gave me some estrogen pills in case my ovaries don't kick in right away, but I don't notice anything different symptom wise. Moods, I just can't tell! I have been pretty happy and not in my pity party lately..... I think I may have had one of those mini cycles everyone talks about - I notice breast pain right after surgery and I think I may have got something(!) about 7-9 days later..... Wintersnow, I am so sorry about your son. My heart cries with yours.
Unread 08-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Hello.

As I was reading your posting, I was preparing myself for another "not like me" readings, but to my amazement and comfort, we have this in common, I'm not married, not in a relationship, no children and not straight. I was disappointed as I was reading some of the post-op information in the FAQ section. When it started with "My wife....", I wanted to scream!!! I hate having to pick through all the information and finding what things relate to my situation. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.

Wearsie
Unread 08-13-2007, 03:48 PM

Welcome to you. This is a great place, there is understanding here I'm addicted. Although I am married, I married late in life and I just don't feel a real deep connection with my parter. I relate so much better to women and only other women can really understand what heartbreak is, when our bodies fail to do what they are supposed to. Wow, that was everything in a nutshell. For me it is really hard at work, everybody has or is able to have kids, it is hard not to be offended at some of the conversations. But I have a full life outside of work too. I know I'm rambling, but we are here if you need a sympathetic ear! Tami
Unread 08-14-2007, 09:07 AM

Hello Knitting Queen,

Thank you for the welcome and reassurance of acceptance and support. My tolerance level for pain has always been so low, that giving birth was something I decided I did not want to experience. However, I do long to be a mother and have always wanted to adopt. Once I'm healthy again and back to living life the way I envision, I am going to pursue that route. I'm finally at a place in life where the career is on track and I'm happy (and it didn't take a partner for completion). If someone comes along, that would be an added blessing, but adopting a child would really complete my world.
Unread 08-14-2007, 10:11 AM

I am 38 years old, single, never married, no children.....an now, no uterus or ovaries. I have known through my years of suffering with pain that I would not have children. My coping method? This may sound a little strange, but....I tell people that I just don't like kids. For YEARS people have kept their children away from me because I have panic attacks when babies are around and prefer to not be around them (their tinyness and fragility makes me nervous). I've had my hysterectomy and I don't have to hear people tell me how sorry they feel for me...or tell me "you can always adopt". They just assume that it was meant to be (that I not have children).
Deep down, I love children. I would have been a great mother. I AM a great mother to my dog. But....it's just easier for me to cope with everyone elses expectations by turning it to something that was "better off". Did this make any sense? Sorry if it didn't. My point is that I sabotaged everyone elses pity statements before they happened by making it seem like I didn't want children anyway. Crazy....I know, but....it's how I deal with it.
I suppose the grieving process will come along someday and I will reflect back on what might have been (if only)...but until that happens, I'm going to be the "lady that doesn't like kids"....lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register