Counseling? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Counseling?

Has anyone had pre-surgical counseling? Did you contact the chaplain at the hospital? I'm thinking about doing so.. I'm so worried and sad.

I feel so very sad over needing this surgery, and am considering contacting the psychiatrist that I saw many many years ago for depression.

But feel a bit silly calling up and saying "Hi, I'm a former patient of Dr. M and am having some issues over needing a hyst.. can Dr. M see me?"

Maybe I'll just go talk to our pastor and see if she can reccommend a counselor..

Anyone else been down this road.. have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Counseling?

Dear Lisa:

IMHO there is nothing silly about calling your psychiatrist no matter how long it's been. That's their job and the reason you see them doesn't matter. If you need to, don't hesitate to call her/him and talk about it. Having a hyst is a major surgery and affects women in too many ways to count.

I didn't seek pre-op counseling because everything happened so fast I didn't get the chance, but I did talk to my pastors before the surgery. I even had the hospital chaplain come in right before the surgery. Personally, if I'd had the chance I would have seen a counselor or psychiatrist before the surgery. I think I would have had an easier time after my hyst and I did seek counseling after my hyst and still see her every 2 weeks. Even though it's been just over 6 months, I still deal with issues that I need help with.

Hugs to you and I pray everything works out well for you.
Unread 08-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Counseling?

please dont feel silly about contacting your dr about your feelings. i'm sure your psychiatrist will be more than glad to see you.
i hope you feel better soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Counseling?

Dear Lisa- Without a doubt... Follow your gut instincts, your "womans intuition"- which is perhaps hyper sensitive at the moment. Perhaps you should look at "counseling " through different eyes. I see it as an encouragement through lifes trials.
A hysterectomy is major surgery. It not only affects our bodies and emotions - it impacts our family dynamics as well, however, temporarily.
I am a licensed counselor.
I encourage you to speak openly to your loved ones so they may support you on this journey.
I am 8 weeks post-op. I looked at it as an opportunity to get in tune with my body and to learn be comforatble with others caring, cooking, praying, cleaning and loving on me.
(believe me - it goes too quickly!)
Embrace this as a discovery of a NEW LISA!!!

Blessings! cyndi
Unread 08-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Counseling?

I work for a hospice here in town and I talk to our chaplin all the time. He is very supportive and it really helps he to told me he would come before my surgery to pray with me. Lisa I understand what you are going through and call your dr and chaplin you feel alot better. Good luck and keep us posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register