A going away party ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A going away party ? A going away party ?

Unread 08-06-2007, 05:49 AM
A going away party ?

So, I want to have a party. A going away party for my parts. Will someone please tell me if I have gone mad here? I am trying so hard to make peace with all of this. There are so many bright sides and all I feel is sad. I have tried all the usual ways of getting past this and I feel like I am in a holding pattern until I have the surgery.

I have talked to one friend about the party.. she started thinking of games and party favors right away. She came up with some very fun ideas. As a means of combatting the loss, I keep trying to remind myself of all the things worth celebrating here. I am hoping that if even for a little while I can feel good about all of this hell.

So, is my party idea crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2007, 07:36 AM
A going away party ?

Having a party sounds like it could be great fun, and it would enable you to share your feelings with close friends. This could end up helping them in future, too, should they ever experience a similar situation. I think it is a very good idea. And you already have a friend interested in doing the planning. Go for it!
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Dropping of the Ute Party tonight!

I think your idea is worthwhile. I'm having a going away party tonight, which I've dubbed the "Dropping of the Ute" Party.

I was totally unable to come to grips with how to deal with my impending surgery until the idea of this tribute came to mind. My husband didn't quite get it until he heard my gyno /oncologist refer to the removal of my ovaries with the same term used for removal of testicles--at which point husband immediately understood why I've been freaking out and have referred to this TAH as a scheduled amputation.

When I said it would be a girls only affair, my little brother (50 yrs. young) assured me that no one has more reverence for a woman's internal organs than men. Amazingly, when my other guy friends found out about it, they too wanted to come. So it's going to be co-ed.--including my 81-yr-old father.

My women friends totally understood. One, a fellow hyster-sister, is going to do a ceremonial dove release. Another is a professional baker who is bringing a creative cake she says will "properly honor" my organs. I've been told a couple of other friends are coming dressed as fallopian tubes, ovaries and a uterus (though I'm not certain how!). My daughter and son-in-law are bring a water pipe (hooka) and some apple tobacco for a ceremonial passing of the pipe. I'm sure there will be poems, original songs, and jokes, too.

Humour is a great relief valve, and I'm hoping a little ireverence will go a long way toward easing my anxiety level.

And, God forbid, if I don't make it through the surgery, I will have been blessed to have attended my own wake!! What's not to love about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2007, 02:50 PM
A going away party ?

I also gave myself a "goodbye to the uteri" party. I filled pink bags with my soon to be unneeded tampax and pads and gave them away as party gifts. Invited about 12 of my friends and had it catered by a local italian restaurant. We ate, laughed and just enjoyed the afternoon. On the front of my gift bag I found a poem that celebrated the good things that come from losing ones uterus and everything thought it was cute. Anyway, some people thought my sense of humor was a bit odd but it was one way I could help get myself through this surgery. It also gave me something to focus on in the weeks leading up to the surgery. My husband thought the idea was a bit "kooky" but told me to go ahead and enjoy myself. Most of the women who attended brought me something use after or during recovery. I got a sexy nighty for after the healing, bottles of wine, trashy magazines to read, and lots of bath gels and body lotions. I truly felt cared for and many of the women I only see at work so it was nice to get together in a more casual environment.

On a lighter note, I decided since I never had a wedding shower or a baby shower ( have no children) then by darned I was going to celebrate this huge event.

Throw yourself a huge party and enjoy it!
Unread 08-10-2007, 10:42 PM
A going away party ?

Inspired by a friend with breast cancer who had a Bye Bye Boob party, I had a Bye Bye Period party. Printed out and mailed little invitations - lovely flowers on the front, and a formally-worded invite to the party. I asked for no presents, and we had food - and one friend bought me a bar of dark chocolate - OVER 1 LB!!!

Someone else here on the site had a Uterus Retirement party!

Yah - you might as well laugh!

Have fun!
Unread 08-10-2007, 11:26 PM
A going away party ?

Maybe I am crazy too but after reading these posts I think its a fabulous idea. I have a very quirky sense of humor and laughter --mainly a mysefl--has always been my way of coping with life's speed bumps and detour signs. I haven't made my surgery 'common knowledge' to many friends b/c I haven't sorted thru my feelings yet. it certainly would be a way to distract from the many useless worries!

--whomever had the idea of giving away the tampons as party favors--that is THE BEST. I laughed outload for the first time since scheduling my big H thanks for the giggles!

sherry
Unread 08-11-2007, 01:45 AM
A going away party ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njo
I think your idea is worthwhile. I'm having a going away party tonight, which I've dubbed the "Dropping of the Ute" Party.

I was totally unable to come to grips with how to deal with my impending surgery until the idea of this tribute came to mind. My husband didn't quite get it until he heard my gyno /oncologist refer to the removal of my ovaries with the same term used for removal of testicles--at which point husband immediately understood why I've been freaking out and have referred to this TAH as a scheduled amputation.

When I said it would be a girls only affair, my little brother (50 yrs. young) assured me that no one has more reverence for a woman's internal organs than men. Amazingly, when my other guy friends found out about it, they too wanted to come. So it's going to be co-ed.--including my 81-yr-old father.

My women friends totally understood. One, a fellow hyster-sister, is going to do a ceremonial dove release. Another is a professional baker who is bringing a creative cake she says will "properly honor" my organs. I've been told a couple of other friends are coming dressed as fallopian tubes, ovaries and a uterus (though I'm not certain how!). My daughter and son-in-law are bring a water pipe (hooka) and some apple tobacco for a ceremonial passing of the pipe. I'm sure there will be poems, original songs, and jokes, too.

Humour is a great relief valve, and I'm hoping a little ireverence will go a long way toward easing my anxiety level.

And, God forbid, if I don't make it through the surgery, I will have been blessed to have attended my own wake!! What's not to love about that?
I want to come to your party.

I think having a memorial or a "goodby to U" party is a great idea. I'd probably cry all the way through it though, if someone gave me such a party.. I'm so conflicted about the necessity.
Unread 08-11-2007, 01:47 AM
A going away party ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litha
So, I want to have a party. A going away party for my parts. Will someone please tell me if I have gone mad here? I am trying so hard to make peace with all of this. There are so many bright sides and all I feel is sad. I have tried all the usual ways of getting past this and I feel like I am in a holding pattern until I have the surgery.

I have talked to one friend about the party.. she started thinking of games and party favors right away. She came up with some very fun ideas. As a means of combatting the loss, I keep trying to remind myself of all the things worth celebrating here. I am hoping that if even for a little while I can feel good about all of this hell.

So, is my party idea crazy?
You're not nuts at all. In fact, I posted a question about this a day or two ago on the pre-op board.

Have a great bon voyage party to your parts...
Unread 08-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I know....

You can serve Bloody Marys .....or not!!!!!!
Unread 08-11-2007, 01:34 PM
A going away party ?

Had the best 'Dropping of the Ute' party ever in the history of hysterectomies! What a great way to blow off steam, forget worries and brighten up an evening.

Went to the kitchen to make coffee this morning, opened the shade and there was a lovely pink 'uterus, tubes, and ovaries' sculpture, still hanging under the umbrella, swaying gently in the breeze. I started laughing all over again. Then, sitting on the deck with my coffee, I saw a pigeon fly by and was reminded of a beautiful dove release provided by another friend. The 'going away' cake, the silly songs, the proclaimation, the cards... and way more wine than I care to drink alone (so while recouperating, friends can stop by and help me drink it!).

And, Oh God, people! One girlfriend even brought tacky 'girl parts' temporary tattoos!!!! I used rubbing alcohol, but couldn't get mine off completely, so there's still a little shadow of a "labia with luggage" on my belly, but it's mostly gone. (I'm going to apply the 'ovaries with wings' tattoo before my surgery.)

I have more than enough memories from just one evening with my dear friends and family to get me through any tough times that might come in the next few weeks. If laughter is the best medicine, I've already been healed!!

Husband now knows people are there for him if he needs them, and is very grateful for the many kind offers of help. He took it all to heart, and I believe will now feel comfortable asking for assistance.

My adult children now know why I am totally out of control... because compared to some of my friends, I now appear completely normal. And, since most of my friends are from my church, suddenly my kids don't think all Christians are stuffy and judgemental.

My uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes are ready to pass on to that 'Big Abdomen in the Sky". The rest of me still wants to see 120-years-old.

I feel I am the most blessed person on the planet. Surgery this Tuesday... I'm now mentally ready. And so are my family and dear friends.

If you want to have a party... please do!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register