shock to say the least | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

shock to say the least shock to say the least

Unread 08-09-2007, 06:21 AM
shock to say the least

Hi everyone,
my name is paula and I am from Adelaide.
It took alot of web searching to find this site and I am glad I have.
Dont know if this is the right place to put all this but if I have done wrong I am very sorry.

My story.

I had a tubaligation done on 26th April this year after heavy periods and painful cramping. My periods would last for what seemed forever and then stop for a week and start again.

Anyway since then my periods have been what I call okay (after bleeiding so much in the past any thing was better than that) But I had mid cycle cramping that was like labour pains which kept me from work and from enjoy my life. Any how I went to my gyno on Tuesday night after more pains and told him about it. I was given two choice live with it or get a hyster.

I have internal ultrasound which showed nothing abnormal.He told me that it could be my uterus muscles spasming mid cycle but he couldnt say if it was that or not. I was shocked to say the least. He told me he would give me a few days to think it over. Whats to think about i have two choices; pain or hyster????

So I am now scheduled to have a LAVH this Monday afternoon. I am peeking to say the least. Reality has set in and I need advice. I havent got time for a seconds opinion as if this keeps going i may not have a job. Being 35 (it was my birthday when he told me) I have no friends that have been through this.

Looking for a friendly shoulder

Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2007, 06:45 AM
shock to say the least

Wow I think he was awful quick to say either live with it or get it out. It sounds like he really didn't want to work with you to find another solution or even a diagnoses. Since you had a TL, I guess you didn't want any/more children but losing an organ shouldn't be a rush decision. The one advantage is you won't have long to dwell on what is about to happen.

I just had my LAVH on Monday and to be honest, I feel fantastic. I had adenomyosis and I didn't realize how bad my uterus was making me feel. Yes, I had bad periods and all, heavy bleeding and cramps and a lot of spotting, but I was totally unaware how uncomfortable I was the rest of the time. I guess it was a pain I had grown so accustomed to that I didn't notice it until it was gone. I have some surgery discomfort right now, incision pain and the gas they blow you up with, but even with that I really do feel better than before.

I have no regrets about getting my surgery done. My doc and I tried a few things to control the bleeding but it just didn't work out, so I didn't feel rushed. If you are comfortable with your choice, then I don't think you will have any regrets later.

I would suggest at your age to keep at least one ovary. I only had one and made sure my doc left it. I didn't want to go into surgical menopause or anything. I am only a few years older than you, so I also don't have any friends who have been through this yet. I did talk to my mom a lot about it since she had it done. She had a full abdominal incision and her advice was to get it out while the getting was good. Recovery from the LAVH is so much easier! I felt so good I wanted to leave the hospital the same day but they made me stay in over night. I was pacing the halls to get out by 9am!

It still seems surreal to me that I don't have a uterus and will never get another period and I had months to mentally prepare. Not that I will miss it any, but it is almost like I have somebody else's body now. I hope you are OK with the choices you were given, if not I would probably see another doc. I wish you lots of luck with your surgery and hope you end up feeling as good as I do!
Unread 08-09-2007, 06:59 AM
shock to say the least

sorry i forgot to add that i am keeping both ovaries. just losing the uterus. I have read on other posts about the cervix???? will i lose that as well?
thanks in advane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2007, 07:00 AM
shock to say the least

It sounds to me like he didn't make you feel like you were even given any choices.

Personally, I think I'd go for a second opinion. That's a pretty fast appointment, I know I'd be reeling from finding out I need a hyster to a few days later actually having it.

You need to do what is best for you. Good luck!
Unread 08-09-2007, 07:10 AM
shock to say the least

i'd get a second opinion. you can reschedule with him if thats the surgeon you choose, but it doesnt sound like you were given much of a choice and you arent sure about what youre doing. this is major surgery and you really need to be fully informed and positive about your decision. do lots of research about the procedure you were told you were having (i believe you do lose your cervix with any type of vaginal hysterectomy) and go into this fully informed.
Unread 08-09-2007, 07:32 AM
shock to say the least

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddy1
Hi everyone,
my name is paula and I am from Adelaide.
It took alot of web searching to find this site and I am glad I have.
Dont know if this is the right place to put all this but if I have done wrong I am very sorry.

My story.

I had a tubaligation done on 26th April this year after heavy periods and painful cramping. My periods would last for what seemed forever and then stop for a week and start again.

Anyway since then my periods have been what I call okay (after bleeiding so much in the past any thing was better than that) But I had mid cycle cramping that was like labour pains which kept me from work and from enjoy my life. Any how I went to my gyno on Tuesday night after more pains and told him about it. I was given two choice live with it or get a hyster.

I have internal ultrasound which showed nothing abnormal.He told me that it could be my uterus muscles spasming mid cycle but he couldnt say if it was that or not. I was shocked to say the least. He told me he would give me a few days to think it over. Whats to think about i have two choices; pain or hyster????

So I am now scheduled to have a LAVH this Monday afternoon. I am peeking to say the least. Reality has set in and I need advice. I havent got time for a seconds opinion as if this keeps going i may not have a job. Being 35 (it was my birthday when he told me) I have no friends that have been through this.

Looking for a friendly shoulder

Paula
You ALWAYS have time for a second opinion! PLEASE, I beg you, get another (if not TWO MORE) opinions! I had 3 opinions before I did anything, and this isn't something that can be reversed.

I'm concerned that your doctor is being too hasty, and may not be the most educated with young women and hysterectomies.

I also don't know where you live, but perhaps if you're in a rural area, you can take the trip to one of the larger cities and better hospitals in your area for that second opinion.

If you decide to have the surgery anyway, know that we will be here for you, every step of the way, but my recommendation to you would be to run from that doctor as fast as you can. All of this just doesn't sit well with me.
Unread 08-09-2007, 07:36 AM
shock to say the least

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahBee
Wow I think he was awful quick to say either live with it or get it out. It sounds like he really didn't want to work with you to find another solution or even a diagnoses. Since you had a TL, I guess you didn't want any/more children but losing an organ shouldn't be a rush decision. The one advantage is you won't have long to dwell on what is about to happen.

I just had my LAVH on Monday and to be honest, I feel fantastic. I had adenomyosis and I didn't realize how bad my uterus was making me feel. Yes, I had bad periods and all, heavy bleeding and cramps and a lot of spotting, but I was totally unaware how uncomfortable I was the rest of the time. I guess it was a pain I had grown so accustomed to that I didn't notice it until it was gone. I have some surgery discomfort right now, incision pain and the gas they blow you up with, but even with that I really do feel better than before.

I have no regrets about getting my surgery done. My doc and I tried a few things to control the bleeding but it just didn't work out, so I didn't feel rushed. If you are comfortable with your choice, then I don't think you will have any regrets later.

I would suggest at your age to keep at least one ovary. I only had one and made sure my doc left it. I didn't want to go into surgical menopause or anything. I am only a few years older than you, so I also don't have any friends who have been through this yet. I did talk to my mom a lot about it since she had it done. She had a full abdominal incision and her advice was to get it out while the getting was good. Recovery from the LAVH is so much easier! I felt so good I wanted to leave the hospital the same day but they made me stay in over night. I was pacing the halls to get out by 9am!

It still seems surreal to me that I don't have a uterus and will never get another period and I had months to mentally prepare. Not that I will miss it any, but it is almost like I have somebody else's body now. I hope you are OK with the choices you were given, if not I would probably see another doc. I wish you lots of luck with your surgery and hope you end up feeling as good as I do!
Just to piggy back this great advice, I'm only 36 and I have no ovaries, and menopause isn't THAT bad at all for me. Sure, I have hot flashes and night sweats, but they're not unbearable by any means. Actually, I'd rather have them than the excruciating periods I had for many years.
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:04 AM
shock to say the least

I agree with getting a second or third opinion also. If it isn't life threatening and you can deal with the pain a little while longer, you owe it to yourself to be as informed as possible.

If it were me, I would cancel the hyster, make an appt. with another GYN (ask around for references), and read this forum. There is a wealth of information here to help you understand what you are possibly facing.

It takes time to prepare for this surgery because you will need time to heal afterwards and will be so limited to what you can do for a while.

Whatever you decide, please let us know and God bless.

s

Brenda
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:05 AM
shock to say the least

Paula yes with an LAVH they will take your cervix. It is always taken with this type of hysterectomy. Since I had adenomyosis, my doctor said there was a chance of monthly bleeding if I left it anyway and that was something I had no more desire to deal with. Since you don't even have a diagnosis I don't know if it is necessary for you to have it removed or not but with an LAVH it will be removed for sure. Another reason to seek a second opinion perhaps?

I am glad you are leaving your ovaries. I think mine has gone to sleep since my surgery since I am getting a few warm flashes (not quite hot!) here and there. Hopefully it will kick back in within a few weeks, I am only 3 days post-op at this point. Otherwise my doc said she will definitely prescribe hormones for me to make me comfortable but so far it really isn't bad.
Unread 08-09-2007, 11:47 AM
shock to say the least

Leah, I am so glad to hear that you feel so much better. I have talked with everyone that I know, and they keep telling me that I will feel so much better. My surgery is scheduled for 8/29, and my pre-op physical, etc is 8/17. I have prolapse utereous. My surgery has been scheduled since June, and every day seems to be getting worse and worse. I know that I will not have any regrets. Thank you.
Shelly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register