What to wear home from hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to wear home from hospital What to wear home from hospital

Unread 08-11-2007, 07:07 PM
What to wear home from hospital

I am looking for a suggestion of what type of pants or shorts I should wear home from the hospital after my TAH. I assume the looser fitting, the better. Also, I don't own any "oversize" undies. Can anyone suggest some cheap ones to purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2007, 07:29 PM

Lane Bryant has the most comfortable panties I have EVER worn. They feel like you don't have any on. They stay in place and don't ever creep up on you. I lived in those and tanks when I was home recovering.

To go to the hospital, I bought myself a new silky type kimono robe and a nightshirts. ( to pamper the princess) I never wore the nightshirts at the hospital as my gown was just easier to wear. I took lose shorts and a tee and flip flops to where home. What I ended up wearing home was my new nightshirt and my new robe and flip flops...LOL. I figured that I was just going to go home, change and crawl onto the bed and I didn't feel like changing twice. Very comfy! You wear whatever you want to...its all about YOUR comfort.

Hugs to you!
Unread 08-11-2007, 07:50 PM

I wore a short-sleeved, v-necked, 100% cotton, calf-length nightgown which, because of its styling and color (navy blue), could double as a dress! I bought it about two sizes larger than I normally wear so it woud just glide over the incision, would be easy to put on right before leaving the hospital, and so that I could move around in it easily during the drive home (almost three hour drive). I added a watch and a bracelet and earrings....I knew there would be stops along the way to stretch my legs (you should do that every half-hour or so to prevent blood clots) and to use the bathroom, etc., and didn't want to call attention to myself as I otherwise might have if I'd worn pajamas, etc. home. I bought Hanes full (up to the waist) briefs two sizes larger than usual and these fit perfectly and I've been wearing them since. I got about six of these in a pack for less than $10. Make sure you carry some self-stick panty liners or pads you can place inside the panty (sticky side to the material) in order to protect your incision. You would think the hospital would provide these but they don't always do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2007, 09:35 PM

You Will Wake Up With A Pair Of Net Undies On(at Least I Did)they Were The Best Thing. They Are Not So Good Looking But They Sure Do Feel Good On Your Belly!!!!!!!
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:39 PM

I wore my new gown, crocs, socks and robe home.
I wore the crocs because I had stairs to climb, and didnt want to risk slipping, and my night gown so i wouldnt have to change again.Could just climb in bed..
I bought panties one size larger and they worked fine for me.I didnt have anything on my backside when I woke up, but hospital gown and a sheet,with a bed
pad under me.I had light spotting for 2 days thats it... I went with drawers for a few weeks wearing my night gowns and robe..I hated to have anything touch
my belly unless I had to!Good luck God bless!
Unread 08-12-2007, 07:32 AM

At the castle I awoke with just a gown on and a waterproof pad under my behind. While in the castle I didn't even bother with panties as it was easier to head to the bathroom without them. After the packing was removed and the IV unhooked I headed straight for the shower then put on loose undies (most of mine were fairly loose as I had lost quite a bit of weight). As for what I wore home, well Every woman I have ever known that has had a period has "fat clothes", I wore those home. Shortalls and knit shirt. the shirt wasn't tight, and shortalls have no waistband and are about 1 size bigger than I actually wear.

Good Luck!

PS. If you hadn't already taken one, ask for a pain pill about an hour before you head home. You feel every bump in the road!
Unread 08-12-2007, 08:04 AM

A nightshirt, sundress or moo moo with flip flops.....I wear the boy cut undies and have made out fine with those. If you aren't spotting you could go commando!! You just don't want your elastic hitting exactly where the incision is. Drawstring anything have also been my best friend since comming home, good luck
Unread 08-12-2007, 08:40 AM

Hi- good am! I wore a cotton sundress w/shrug and panties 2 sizes larger (still snug). That day it was approx. in the 90's but I was still chilly ( guessing from anesthesia).
Good Luck in your pending surgery, please know if you have any ? or issues to search the board for some valuable info from all our ladies.

Blessings!
Unread 08-12-2007, 03:50 PM

The Saturday before my Monday surgery I went to K-Mart and bought a package of 6 of Fruit of the Loom 100% cotton granny panties for $5.99, knowing I was going to have an abdominal incision with swelling I bought the regular cut so the elastic would not touch the incision (high-cut, the elastic will lay right across the low incision) and about then 2 sizes too large (size 9) so they would be big and baggy. I figure I will throw them away once they have served their purpose.

I also bought cotton PJ pants in ex-large (I wear medium) and some over sized tee-shirts (that is what I wore home from the hospital with my slide on Keds.

I also went into the mens dept and bought some baggy drawstring shorts to wear around the house during healing time, they cost me $3.50 each on sale.
Unread 08-12-2007, 04:36 PM

I wore a loose fitting outfit to the hospital so it was the same outfit to wear home. The less you take with you the better.

I didn't even need the panties, that was something I shouldn't have bothered bringing because I just had the gown on for three days and some very light spotting, hardley even noticeable. Those waterproof pads were on the chair and in the bed so I didn't have to worry about it.

Didn't worry about it either when I went on my walks through the halls of the hospital...I wasn't aware of any drippiness at all.

Actually, by the end of the week after I got rid of all that gas, my stomach wasn't swollen much at all and I could wear my regular clothes as usual.

Good luck! You'll feel so much better and wish you had this done sooner! Life is great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register