Just Realized The Date!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just Realized The Date!!! Just Realized The Date!!!

Unread 08-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Just Realized The Date!!!

OMG! I just went into my living room and questioned my fiance about todays date, he said, "Yes honey, surgery in nine days!!" Man, he must be a mind reader!! I am sooo nervous. It seemed like yesterday that I thought I had 20 days to go! TIME FLYS!. I have had alot of surgeries before, not sure why I am so scared of this one?? I still have not had any of my blood work done, kind of making me worried. I will call my Dr. on Monday regarding this issue. I have read questions regarding meds before surgery, I was told that I can take my darvocet and motrin up to the day before surgery. QUESTIONS....man, where to start, heres one...I had a tubal 11 years ago now I am getting a LAVH leaving one or both ovaries, cervix comes out (from what I have read) about how long will surgery take? I am alittle confused about most terms, I know that a LAVH is laporascopy assisted vaginal hys, and TAH is total ab hys, but why can some do a vag without the lap? I have severe endo, connecting my liver to bladder and implants every else with nasty adhesions. I guess I am not sure why one would do an abdominal when it seems as if vaginal is easier, I know that it depends on many factors but it seems as if not many people get the LAVH. How long is recovery for LAVH? I also know that depends on ones self, but what does norm sem to be. I had Lap done for exploratory and lasered off endo adhesions 6 times and each time it only took about 3-4 days recovery for me, the gas was what hurt me, I felt perfect after about 6 days. So I am thinking that this is pretty much the same thing, RIGHT? Just more coming out, if its gone it cant hurt? RIGHT? PLEASE TRY TO HELP EASE MIND!!! GOD BLESS!! GOOD LUCK! US SISTERS MUST STICK TOGETHER. THANKS TO ALL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2007, 10:36 PM

Hi Fear,
Take some deep breaths... The waiting is the worst part. It gives us plenty of time to work ourselves up. I actually woke up thinking I got myself that worked up over this!! 3 days post-op I would've been starting my next cycle & I was in less pain from the surgery than I would've been on my period. I've never had endo surgery so I can't compare it to my hys. Pain-wise it wasn't the worst thing I've been through. I moved a lot slower the first week, but after that each week brought improvement. The fatigue is probably the biggest obstacle I faced. Just don't over do it & you'll be fine. I'm 4 months out & feel FANTASTIC!!! My hys. was one of the best things I've done for myself.

Best wishes,
Sue
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:44 PM

Hi there! I know what you mean about having other surgeries and being okay, but being scared of this one. I do believe that waiting is the hardest part, and you are almost done with that!!! As far as the TAH, my doctor said that he is going to use that procedure just in case the bladder and/or bowel are involved. He said if they are 'stuck', and he goes to pull the uterus out through the vagina, we have problems! Also, he told me that the vaginal procedure is a blind procedure. He said that they can't see everything - that the clip and clamp where things are 'supposed to be'. Because of this, the LAVH (according to my doc) has more of a chance of complications with the bladder and/or bowel. I was in shock when he was telling me this. A BLIND procedure?! OMG!! Last but not least, he said that the TAH will give him a better look since we are not entirely sure what is going on (suspected but unconfirmed endo). Oh yeah - my doc also said that since I have not had a vaginal delivery, there is no decention of (sp?) of my cervix and uterus - which makes it more difficult to grab and pull from the vagina.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Hi Fear,
Your name states it all! The truly worst part is the waiting, not knowing what to really expect. I had a laparoscopy done in hopes the doc could remove some of the endo. Found way too much for him to deal with. Yes, I had pain in the chest/shoulder area from the gas used. After waiting a year and a half, I underwent TAH. There was far too much endo and scar tissue to handle via lap. I was scared too! And I have to tell you, I cried more before my surgery than I have after! In recovery, my pain was LESS than period pain. Doc said my bladder and uterus were adhered together, but with careful dissection, everything came out and is working good now. I am almost 3 weeks post op. You'll see it won't be so bad. Let loved ones pamper you. You deserve it!
Unread 08-12-2007, 12:47 AM

Hi Fear! I was scared to death! I mean it! But look at it this way....everyday that passes means you are one day closer to relief and healing. This time next month, you will be writing to other scared Hystersisters and calming them down. This time next year, you will be thinking of how glad you are that you have moved on to other things!

We are here for you. This site will answer lots of questions and really hold you up when you need it.

Unread 08-12-2007, 07:40 AM

I can so relate to the poster that woke up saying "I got THAT worked up over this?" I was beyond freaked out. I'm into my 4th week of recovery from a TAH. It's slow-going, but still I feel better now than the exhaustion from being anemic all the time. Hang in there. The WAITING is BY FAR the HARDEST part! You are going to do GREAT!
Unread 08-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Thank You!!

You all are truley amazing. Every time I log in here, I feel alittle nervous, by the time I log off, I feel alot better. There is not turning back. I can not wait to end all the pain. I kind of laughed this mornning because I will not have my period this month ...or EVER!!! Kind of a wonderful thought. I guess I can just freak myself out so when it is really here, I will feel better than I thought! I guess it is just the thought of body parts being removed, things being shifted and not being able to just jump out of bed and start my day, but I guess it will be nice being able to lay in bed and read and not feel quilty!! Thank you to all of you. I do have a feeling that my Dr. will need to do a an abdominal one due to knowing that my liver is connected to my other body organs and bad adhesions on my other parts and that was all found out from surgery three years ago, so who knows how much has changed. I know that he at first stated that he would do abdominal, and then I crinnged and asked if he could try LAVH and he said, HE WOULD TRY BUT he may need to do abdominal!! I guess if my sisters can handle it, I can too. THANKS LADIES!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register