Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007 - Page 27 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007 Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007

Unread 08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Slowly But Surely?

I had a TAH on 8/14. I had been suffering with copious bleeding for months (seeing yellow pee looks SO wrong now!) and my hemoglobin fell into the 7's. Finally managed to get my doc to order an MRI and discovered multiple fibroids - and one really big one (which I nicknamed The Beast) quite low in my uterus that was pressing on my other organs - especially my poor bladder.

Was sent to an unknown to me OB-GYN guy for the requisite endometrial biopsy and once he got me in the stirrups, sat back, sent the nurse away and told me that The Beast had forced its way through my cervix, that I needed a hysterectomy by the end of the week, and did I have any questions?

Ended up having transfusions to prepare and managed to get in for a 2nd opinion with a surgeon I felt much better about both in terms of manner and experience. Had my surgery the 14th -- it was a tough one because of the escaping Beast - had 3 units of blood and stayed 4 days in the hospital. No bad pathology news - whew.

My staples and steristrips are off now -- the incision looks good except on the left side -- some bruising there. Am doing better getting up, going up and down stairs, etc., but get tired SO fast. Still wrestling with smooth bowel operations, but it is better now that I am eating more.

I am a side sleeper and have tried it the past couple of nights using lots of pillows -- it still pulls and isn't too cozy. Yesterday I felt like everything was pulling from my belly button as a result - yuck.

This is my first surgery EVER so I have nothing to compare it to -- it is sure helpful to hear from others in recovery! I wish all of us complete and positive healing!

Zappo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2007, 06:39 PM
hi everyone

hi everyone. i'm so thrilled .... i did make it to the mall today all by myself. this was my first day driving solo. i stayed about an hour and half which was longer than i wanted to, but i ended up seeing one of my old friends there so we started yapping. i was really tired when i got home, but so glad i went. i hope we all continue to improve day by day.
Unread 08-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007

Slowly But Surely?

Yes, this is definitely a slow recovery! Keep in mind they not only took the BEAST but other organs! The body uses massive amounts of energy to heal. I asked my Dr's nurse today about if it was ok to walk around the block and she said, not until I am released in 4 more weeks! I thought perhaps she was wrong so I asked my niece, who is nurse practitioner in an ob/gyn office and she said the same thing! I have read on here people who are walking a LOT by 2 weeks and personally I think the body is using so much energy to heal, the energy to walk can impede the long term healing. I know when I get tired, I get dizzy and nauseated. If you do not HAVE to do something, DON'T! Dust bunnies will still be there in 6 weeks! The only things they really said I can do is drive (not taking drugs any longer), reach up like in the cabinet, since my incision is healed, can go in my sisters pool, and orgasms are fine (blush). Bending? Not for another 4 weeks! Sweeping and vacuuming? (I tried to get 6 months on this one)...4 more weeks. I stay in a housedress/ nightgown because if I put clothes on, I know I would think I am all better and do too much. Because of the type of work I do, I will be off for at least 12 weeks. So, I am glad to have my computer and you sisters! Wow! I just rambled on! I am exhausted! Glad you found this site, Zappo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2007, 07:10 AM

Well, heck, if I was having all those O's described on this site, I would not be walking around the blocks! The good thing about going back to work is that I get to sit a a comfy chair that first week and talk on the phone. Pretty much the same thing I am doing at home. Bad TV continues....add to that 15 tip list...do not get stuck at home the 10 year anniversary of Princess Di's death, John Wayne movie marathon or the week they rerun "Dave" and "Cape Fear" five times! (laughing)
Unread 09-01-2007, 11:10 AM

As much as I enjoy being home and watching tv, I have to agree with Davila...it has been a bit trying! I am not allowed to do much and yet the 5000 cable channels (ok, I exaggerate a bit) do have nothing to watch. As I get better, I am sure I will go crazier!
Unread 09-01-2007, 12:17 PM

I have done more crafting in these 2 wks than I have done in yrs. I have scrapbooked, read books, knitted and felted a bag, handmade thank you cards because TV is so bad. I have also eaten to many cookies and brownies because my DH keeps suprising me with snacks.

Ladies what OTC pain relievers have worked for you ? I have tired Advil and Tylenol. I just can't seem to get on top of the achy, crampy lower abdominal pain. My stitched in my perineum don't even hurt as much as my lower abdomen. I can finally can sit down because I got a " donut" so my bottom doesn't hurt when I sit.

Now of course if I've mentioned all of the before , please excuse me and blame it on the anesthesia.
Unread 09-01-2007, 01:34 PM

Wheaton,

My surgery was a day before yours and the last couple of days, I have also been very crampy and sore. I finally took a pain pill a few hours ago. It didn't help much.

I also thought I was out of the woods with surgical menopause, but after a week and a half, the warm flashes are several times an hours and today I am very irritable.

Still, it's good to have a place to whine without driving someone away....haha.

Hope you feel better real soon!
Unread 09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
First post from me here in Ohio

Hello sisters.....this is the first time I've written and it is basically to thank you all.....
In the past couple of weeks, I have read everything that you have shared.
I have prayed for those that are struggling and been challenged by those who are out ahead of my recovery.
So many of the things that I've experienced, you each have shared as your own experiences......this has made everything so comforting.
from the insomnia at night, daytime naps, celebrating the first bowel movements like a baby, to the lack of any good daytime TV.......seems like most of us have moved right through the same stages.
I cannot be more thankful for the easy of my recovery.....some of it might be due to mom's cooking!!! But it's time for me to go back home (I live alone)....and therefore my cooking is going to need to take over at this point.
I think at the four week mark, I'll also return to work part time (I am the director of three shelters for abused women). So those of you already back at work....I admire you.
I am very blessed for the minor pain and zero complications. I will continue to read your posts and keep each of you in my daily prayers.
It's funny how this site has brought us all together....older, younger, professionals, some unemployed, gay and straight........each of us comes to this site....and is welcomed and supported.
I thank you and I look forward to additional posts in the weeks to come.
Appreciating each day.....and I think I'll miss you when this is all over
Unread 09-01-2007, 03:25 PM

I also want to thank every one. It has made a huge differece to me. I have a very supportive family but when they have no idea what one is going through it is hard to relate. My DH thinks I am a bit obsessed with all of you. I tell him it is for his own sanity that I have relied on all of you so much.

thanks again
Unread 09-01-2007, 03:44 PM
18 Days Post Op

Hi Ladies,

Terri H. Welcome to the Site.

Today is 18 days for me and i'm not feeling well right now.

i did a load of laundry today and i think that was too much. i am trying to do different things each day so i can know what my limits are, but then i end up not feeling well. my incision is sore since i hung out the clothes. i just put the shirts on hangers and hung the hangers on the clothesline, so i didn't think that would be too bad. i am getting very frustrated. one day is good, next day is yuck !! also, my DH is getting on my nerves too. if i tell him i am sore, he says that's good, you're using your muscles, you have to start using them, etc etc. i know he wants me to feel better, but i feel that he is starting to push me now. i DO NOT think it's good for me to be sore after hanging some shirts on the line. i don't want to sound like i'm bashing him, he has been great thru all of this, but he does not know what i feel like.

i found out yesterday too that i'm having a hard time wearing pants with zippers. the zipper goes right over, ouch !!!!

on a good note,my belly is not as swollen as a lot of other ladies are reporting. my pants fit, but it's when i zip them that it hurts.

well, maybe tomorrow will be better. sorry if i'm a sad sack today. i don't mean to bring anyone else down.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register