Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007 - Page 35 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007 Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007

Unread 09-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse
Well, well, seems I might have overdone it. As you can tell by my 'nickname', I am a nurse and work night shift. I work at the pediatric hospital in Louisville, KY. I normally work 12 hour shifts, doc wanted me to start out doing 8 hrs. the first week. I had a relatively easy night. I think the heaviest thing I lifted was my 'work bag' which has a big clipboard, steth, pens and hiliters,etc., and now also a small fan. But boy oh boy, I am having so much more pain than I thought I would. And in different places than before and feel more achy/flu'ish. Because my surgery was done completly laparoscopically I mislead myself into thinking I would do better quicker. I am now considering taking the remainder of my 3 weeks and using the Short term dis. benefit I have paid for over many years.
To quote what I think was Hill Street Blues in the captains daily briefing "Be careful out there".
I to am a nurse and my Dr won't let me go back to work for 6-8 wks. Stay at home , you deserve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2007, 04:35 PM

Hello sisters, today has been such a lazy day for me. I went to drs today to have inscision(?) check. It is finally trying to heal, actually 2 of the 3 are totally healed. I am hoping to get cleared to go back to work the 17th, I will be 5 weeks then. I am still an emotional case but who knows when I get back on track. I am not on any hormones yet but I still have my left overy, maybe it will start working soon. HUGS to all and glad to read everyone is doing pretty good for now.
Unread 09-04-2007, 05:41 PM
working, just a little..

Hi everyone!

Well, day 18 post-op and feeling better than yesterday! I am back on Ibp once or twice a day! Haven't driven yet! My DH has been driving me around. Went to Costco, but the riding baskets were all taken! We just took two and I used it for support. Only there 30 min. and home! Did a little desk/computer/phone work and then out to Lunch!!

As this was the day I was suppost to be back at my desk, my phone started ringing at 8 am. With the change in surgery from Lapro to abdominal incision and from 2wks to 6wks recovery, I am not sure I am ready! Had to pay bills and work on an order for Thursday delivery, which is really tight! I am not sure I need the stress right now and will probably change my message to "out a couple of weeks more" and really rest!!

Thank God, it cooled off today and forcasted even cooler tomorrow!!

Still eating out every night! O.K. by me!!!

Questions: After reading everyones comments on post-op bleeding, I am wondering if it makes a diffence that I still have my cervix, as I am not having any bleeding, except a little day one and two in the hospital? Should I expect it at all??? Don't see my dr until the 11th!!

Thank you all for your supportive comments and to ALL!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2007, 12:14 PM

Hi Sisters,

I've been closely following how those of you who bit the bullet and started back at work are doing. I've been feeling a little guilty about being out, but know I don't have the emotional or physical energy to take on work yet. Planning on heading back on the 18th and working part time that first week.

My surgeon gave me this bit of advice. "No one is indispensable, work will get along without you. You only have once chance to heal right, and the rest of your life to be doing all those "shoulds".

Take home, we need to be kind to ourselves...be a little selfish. Work will survive!
Unread 09-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi Everyone -- 22 days post op

had to go to the dr today. thought i had some sort of vaginal infection. he took a culture (that was slightly painful) and gave me Metro Gel to insert just in case, but he said he didn't see anything immediately wrong. i have to go back again on 9/10 for my 4 week follow up. i guess then i'll get the low down on how the surgery went.

Dr also said DH and i can start trying stuff, just gently. i was kind of suprised he said this so soon, but he said i'm healing beautifully. DH will be thrilled.

i got my lavender items in the mail yesterday and i think they actually did help me sleep a little better. last night i logged in about 5 hours instead of my ususal 3, so that's good.

hope everyone is having a good day today. Talk to you later.
Unread 09-05-2007, 02:00 PM
advice from the credit union lady

So, I went to the credit union today and the lady there said if I do nothing else, pay attention to when the doc says I can do things and do not over do anything. She did not pay attention and ended up having surgery for adhesions! I told her I was glad she told me because I am feeling so well, no pain, that it would be easy to over do and she was adament NOT to. I told her I basically lie around and watch tv and she said that is all I should do! It was nice havin affirmation that I was doing the right thing! Cheers!
Unread 09-05-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole'red
For those who are walking a lot, have you asked your doctor about how far is ok? My doc says I cannot even walk around the block until 6 weeks! I double checked with my niece who is a nurse practitioner for an OB/GYN and she said 4 to 6 weeks...I worry about those of you who might be hampering recovery by walking too much.
Hmmmm... I walked about 25 city blocks on Sunday, at just about the 3-week mark. I was a zombie the next day. Too much, I guess. My surgeon has given me almost no restrictions, except on lifting for the first 2-1/2 weeks or so. At last Thursday's appointment he said I could relax the restrictions on lifting somewhat and just use "common sense." He is a gynecologic oncologist at a very well-reputed hospital. But I sometimes think maybe he's been a bit too casual about the nitty-gritty issues of surgical recovery.
Unread 09-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Working!

Well, after working 7 hours yesterday and commuting...I over did it.
I woke up this morning and felt like I'd not only been hit by a truck but it'd backed up and done it again. My guts felt like they were falling down and had forgotten me in the process!
I sent work an e-mail telling the guys they'd see me when they see me. Went to take some Tylenol and then toddled over to the couch. 4 hours later I woke up and then started my morning anew.
Much better this time around. I've been taking crap from the BF all day for over doing it. I'm not superwoman...blah, blah, blah.
Which brings me to my point here. My surgeon, whom I adore working with, has been of the nature of giving me 4 weeks off and saying I can go back after 2. I went after 3. I'm thinking perhaps all 4 would have been better. I have a high pain tolerance and of my 20 Percoset's I still have 17 left. I probably should have listened closer to the women here and done less and pampered more.
I did only work 3 hours today and this evening I feel much better. I'm going to do some computer work this evening and just take it easy.
Go gently about this living stuff - it's a jungle!
Unread 09-05-2007, 05:15 PM

I am waiting to hear back from my drs office about going back the 17th. I am kinda getting tired of being home all day. I will be 5 weeks by then and seem to be feeling pretty good. I have been a little achy for a couple of days but no real pain to speak of.
Unread 09-05-2007, 06:19 PM

hi. i told my dr i was not ready to go back to work on 9/11. that would have been 4 weeks to the day. he gave me another two weeks, so that's better i think. his office told me the max they will give me is 6 weeks. i sit at my desk 8 hours a day but my job is extremely mentally taxing. my brain is still foggy from the anesthes. and i still am sore, so i'm glad i got another two weeks. today at my appt, dr said my muscles will be sore for about 3 more months, so i figure by Christmas, i'll be back in full action.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register