Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007 - Page 39 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007 Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007

Unread 09-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Hysterectomy dates Aug 13-Aug 20,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccamrine
Shell1962

I asked my Dr. if I could just change my v-dot patch every four days, since the instructions say twice a week. I thought, what's the difference since you go an extra day a week anyway? He said go ahead and try it, see how it goes. This is the second time of four days in a row, don't know if that may have anything to do with the headache. I change the patch tomorrow morning.

I was using this patch prior to my hysterectomy to help with bleeding problems. My doctor had me change them Sunday around 6pm and then on Thursdays when I got up. Different job they were doing for me then, but thought I'd pass along what his instructions were...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2007, 08:25 PM

Hi Ladies, I went back to work on Tuesday (desk job this week) and stay until 2:30. It has been fine. I live alone and really like the people I work with, they are a fine buch of mostly women. But the guys have been great too. But, I am oh, so careful, not to screw up. My friend vacumed my house today and my neighbor is mowing the lawn and taking out the trash and lifting that ever pesky litter box. My only issue at this point is...constipation. Jeez. I am not on any meds and hate laxitives. It is all or nothing....
I feel lucky that I kept my ovaries. If I was dealing with instant meno, I would not be back at work. I would be serving time. Plus, I would normally be on my every two week period now and I am not. So I feel pretty darn good for being gutted! Next week I travel some, but broke it up so as not to over do it. Then the next week, big work week. But no lifing. Just alot of time on my feet talking alot. That will be 31 days. It was really hard for me to ask people to do this over 10 lbs stuff since I am independent and hard headed and strong, but this site is why I did and why I have stuck with it. Thank you.
Unread 09-06-2007, 08:46 PM

Zappo. Yep, that disconnected "sock puppet' imagae is exactly what I had in mind. LOL. I was thinking more of christmas stocking or those monkey sock puppet legs.
But then my incision now looks like a smile with facial hair. A skid row happy face.
I was pretty modest before all this. Now, after nurse after nurses said,
"Honey. let me see if you are bleeding...etc" I am pretty well over that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Second doctor's follow up appt.

Sisters-
I wanted to take a few minutes to share with you my second follow up appointment after my August 14th TAH. Thanks to all of you for your many questions and discussions of things which gave me a great list of questions to ask my Dr.

Incision opening- I was concerned about the one inch area at the bottom of my incision where it had torn open in the hospital. Since I am overweight my DS has been caring for my wound. The Dr. said it has healed over nicely and we can now apply neosporin twice daily... no more dressings. I am thrilled about that because the tape was causing itching and driving me crazy.

"Rope" under incision- I figured it was normal to have a hard rope under my incision based on the number of people who said they had it also. My suspicion was confirmed and it is very normal.

Discharge/no discharge- As there are so many sister who were reporting still having discharge I was concerned. I hadn't had discharge since leaving the hospital, so I was concerned that perhaps it was all hanging around somewhere waiting to attack. My Dr. told me that is no "normal" level or amount of discharge after surgery. The one thing to keep in mind is that discharge is never bright red, so if you see bright red call the dr. asap.

Itching- Sure, I was prepared for the itching around the incision as I healed. I was not; however, prepared for the "internal" itching I've been feeling. My entire abdomen has been itching just about two inches beneath the surface. I've been using ice packs and gently rubbing to help alleviate the insanity of the itching. My Dr. explained that quite a few women feel the internal healing/itching and to keep doing what I'm doing.

Exercise- My Dr. has released me to start doing some crunches and other non-aggressive abdominal exercises added to my walking. He advised me that exercise is not going to be the same for all women, it depends on the type of surgery they had. During my TAH he didn't need to cut any of my muscles, but was able to separate them instead. Also, since he didn't use dissolving sutures, but dissolving staples instead he said that I have been released for that far before he would release someone with sutures. So please check with your dr. before adding any non-walking exercise back into your routine.

Back to work- Even though I am healing very nicely, he will not release me to go back to work before week 6. He has experienced far too many women who have superwoman syndrome so as soon as he releases them for work they overdo it and backslide. He said that he will release me for only part-time work for weeks 7-8 to make sure I don't overdo it (he knows me too well).

The major thing I wanted to share with everyone is my Dr.s outlook on the recuperation process, which I've been trying to follow. The first three weeks post-op should be looked at as a time to rest and do only those things which are needed to sustain your life (minimal walking to keep from getting PEs, eating, drinking, bathing, resting, etc.). He suggests that weeks 4-6 be used as a time to rebuild your strength (and we're not talking about weightlifting). He suggested that this is the time to add a little distance to your walking each day. Add a household chore every couple days (NO VACUUMING, SWEEPING, MOPPING). He also suggested visiting my friends instead of having them still coming to me.

Bottom line, listen to your body and if you don't understand or like what you're hearing then call your Dr.

Let me know how all of your follow ups are going.
-Kim
Unread 09-07-2007, 04:54 AM

KimnProvo - Thanks for all of that valuable info. It is nice to know that so many questions we have all been asking are totally normal. I went back to work 3 1/2 - 4 hours per day. I am really tired when I get home as my work involves a lot of walking. I am taking the elevator instead of the stairs though, and I haven't lifted a thing. I have been asking for help and everyone has been great about it. They are excited and amazed that I am back to work. I am really fortunate to work with a great bunch of people who are very supportive and helpful! It really helps with the attitude. Thanks again for all of your support and advice this site has been extremely helpful in knowing what to expect and also to know that I'm not going it alone!!! "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a ride!!!! ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 09-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Three Weeks checking in...

HI Ladies,

Today is three weeks post-op for me. I am feeling good! All the pains in the sides,the constant gas pains and the pain when urinating have subsided. Still taking gas-x and an occasional Ibp at bed time. Still wearing my support girddle when I am up and around.

Have been working a little too! Repotted some plants and did a little weeding. REally not lifting much, but my dr gave me 20 pound limit. I did get a little woozy after leaning over too much, so I sat down for a while. Yesterday I was on my feet almost all day!! Slept in this morning, but up and getting ready to go out to see a client.

Unfortunately, my health provider is up-dating their computer systems and have all the scheduling screwed up. So my post op appointment(9/11) has been delayed another three weeks(9/24). That will put me at about 6wks post-op before I see my dr.

Fortunately, she has been very responsive to my calls and emails and I havent' had any major problems. If there is a problem there are other dr I can see.

Plan to attend a trade show in LV end of the month. Maybe they will have a riding cart I can use .!!

To everyone and congrats on the new job!! If I didn't have my own business, I would find it very hard to go back to work on a regular schedule right now! I would sure use all the, 6weeks, time I was given!!
Unread 09-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Scopfer,

First of all CONGRATS on getting the job! That has to take a big weight off your shoulders. Just remember to take it easy as you start back. I wish you well.

They took both my ovaries so if I'm ovulating something went horribly wrong! The pain subsided last night but is starting up again this afternoon. I'm wondering if it's a sign when I've done too much. The last few days I've been more active. Keep me posted on how you're doing.
Unread 09-07-2007, 12:46 PM

Night Nurse,

Almost hate to tell you this, but I've been very fortunate and haven't had any hot flashes. There are just a few times a day I'm a little warmer than normal, but nothing like I'd prepared myself for. I'm 49 so my doc thinks my estrogen production had probably been declining already so have both ovaries out wasn't such a shock to my system. I did start on a low dose of HRT (EST ESTROG/MTEST HS) a week and a half ago. She (my doctor) felt since I was young (boy did that make my day), that it would be a good idea for me to go on HRT until my mid 50's.

After 10 days on the HRT, I've noticed my moods leveling out. I was a real cry baby for awhile. The brain fog also seems to have lifted. Don't know whether to chalk that up to the HRT or being farther along in my recovery. Whatever the case it's much nicer. My DH (who's been a real gem during all this) really appreciates it!

I talked to some other friends who had hysters with ovaries removed, and they said they eventually found things that triggered the hot flashes like eating lots of carbs, and were able to modify their diet to cut down on the "power surges".

I do feel for you, it can't be fun. Hang in there.
Unread 09-07-2007, 02:51 PM

Well I have been away form all my sisters way too long. We moves this last sunday. Not to worry the onlt thing I carried was my self. The drive was harder than I thought it would be. My kids are too young to drive so DB drove his truck and I had to drive our car. 21/2 hours of driving wowy. I rested the rest of the day. I didn't even direct traffic. We havn't had internet sevrvice till now. I have missed out on a lot. I'ts a good thing that everything stays posted.
I am 3 weeks 3 days today. Still having quite a bit of pain. Insomnia, and well the brain is still not working well. The DH stayed home with me 3 weeks. I thought I would go crazy with him there but now I miss him. I wis h it was still summer so I would at least have my kids home with me.
We live in the country now. Where I grew up, and where the nearest neihbor is 1 mile away.
I have not gone back to work. I quit my job as a medical assistant 3 days before the surgery (we were moving so no need to keep it). I am going to take my time in looking for one. That is if unemployment starts kicking in.
I'm glad to hear from all of you. I won't be so lonly now that I have acses to all of you.
take care all.
Unread 09-07-2007, 04:58 PM

How about the over 50 set...are we having a easier/harder time with our recovery then our younger sisters? How about my over 50 yr old sisters who have had TAH/BSO, what are you experiencing?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register