Large Fibroids - How large is too large? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Large Fibroids - How large is too large? Large Fibroids - How large is too large?

Unread 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Large Fibroids - How large is too large?

I was recently diagnosed with "large" uterine fibroids. At least one is growing like a stalk and is 17 cm - approx 7 inches. There are at least two and possibly more growing. My initial consultation with the gyn suggested a TAH, but I've been reading more and more about trying other means first. Fortunately, my fibroids are not painful and I have no heavy bleeding (likely because the large one is above my uterus - not IN it). I have no children and do not plan to have any. Perhaps the total hyster is my best bet? My gyn told me my fibroids are too large for laproscopic surgery. Iwill be 40 years old in November and have a feeling I will be celebrating it recovering from a hysterectomy.

I am going to have a second opinion, just to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I almost wish I had symptoms (sorry - I know many of you suffer greatly with the pain and bleeding). I don't want to rush into anything I don't have to - - anyone have any advice on LARGE fibroids?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Yes. Get them out or consider some other option which will reduce or remove them before they damage your bladder, kidneys and possibly other organs! I had fibroids for years and although doctors were always urging hysterectomies (which I always refused until only recently--like you I had few symptoms) they never ONCE explained that when these things get big enough they can damage other organs. I found out the hard way with some damage to my bladder, and possibly some to my kidneys. (I had a TAH/BSO one week ago today and am SO GLAD to be rid of all that junk inside me!!!!!) Also, the larger the uterus and the fibroids are, the more likely the incision will need to be vertical. Because of your age, if your ovaries are healthy you might consider keeping them to stave off menopause-related problems. But of course, the first thing to do is get at least a second and maybe even a third opinion, do a lot of research, and use this website as much as possible. A hysterectomy is MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY--with all that implies-- and as such should not be entered into lightly.
Unread 08-13-2007, 10:51 PM

Hi
I'm in similar situation, large fibroids, no major symtpoms until last few months. More pressure and discomfort. Decided to do a laproscopic removal of the largest stalk like fibroid outside of my uterus. Tyring to hold onto until menopause (I'm 54) hoping for relief without major surgury.
Needed to do something after a few years of hoping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2007, 11:48 AM

Hi Baileybump,

I agree that a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion is a great idea. I got (2) opinions myself on how to deal with my fibroids. My 1st Dr. advised a TAH due to the size of my fibroids (15 cm total) and my 2nd Dr. suggested a laparoscopic hyst (LSH) after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for surgery. I am still pleased I was a candidate for a lap hyst.

In the end...do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important. We Hyster Sisters are here to help if we can.

Mary
Unread 08-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Thank you for your input. How are you feeling post-op? Quite honestly the recovery is more of a concern to me than the actual procedure. I'm a big chicken!
Unread 08-26-2007, 04:47 PM

Have you had the stalk-like fibroid removed? If so, how was that procedure? I am scheduling a second opinion (hopefully this week) and am planning to discuss removing the problematic fibroid.
Unread 08-26-2007, 05:38 PM
fibroids and uterus now history!

It's been a week since my laparoscopic surgery.
The goal was to just take out the large and ever growing fibroid outside my uterus. I agreed and welcomed the Dr.s call once inside to take my uterus and he did.
I have my ovaries and cervix, even at 54 I read they still help me in later years and there was no apparent reason to take htem out. Yes, I am glad it's over, I debated over three years and wanted to wait as I had no terrible symtoms except their size and numbers. I hated seeing the mri techs after they took my mri's. It really scared them I think. Any way I came home that night from the three hour surgery. Mr Dr is an angel and continued laparoscopically. I have 4 once inch insicions and could walk up the stairs to my bed! I walk ai little every day but feel exhausted. I also might have been pushed into menopause as I feel sweaty with no fever but I am not paying attention to that. I'm sore and my stomach area hurts at night, I still have nausea a bit in the morning.
My bladder doesn't feel great when I go to the bathroom.
Lot's of little complaints, but over all I am glad it's over and each day I feel stronger. My side was black and blu they told me from blood inside, that was very scary. I got a photograph of a few of my fibroids and uterus, that's was important. I am glad the fibroids are out. I had OVER a kilo! What can I say, I felt I had to do something, I was always umcomfortable and the feeling was getting worse not better. I tried to wait until menopause in hopes they would shrink...couldn't make it, I'll never know.
If you need someone to talk to let me know.
Good Luck only you can make the decision to take the big step. I knew it was time to do something.
Unread 08-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisol52
Yes. Get them out or consider some other option which will reduce or remove them before they damage your bladder, kidneys and possibly other organs! I had fibroids for years and although doctors were always urging hysterectomies (which I always refused until only recently--like you I had few symptoms) they never ONCE explained that when these things get big enough they can damage other organs. I found out the hard way with some damage to my bladder, and possibly some to my kidneys. (I had a TAH/BSO one week ago today and am SO GLAD to be rid of all that junk inside me!!!!!) Also, the larger the uterus and the fibroids are, the more likely the incision will need to be vertical. Because of your age, if your ovaries are healthy you might consider keeping them to stave off menopause-related problems. But of course, the first thing to do is get at least a second and maybe even a third opinion, do a lot of research, and use this website as much as possible. A hysterectomy is MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY--with all that implies-- and as such should not be entered into lightly.
Thanks for your story, I agree I would advise action sooner.
What kind of bladder damage could I ask did you have and what were the symtoms. I'm going to give a few more days I was told the catherer causes the discomfort when I urinate and it will pass.
Unread 08-26-2007, 06:13 PM
shrink it with lupron?

Hi Baileybump,
I have fibroids also though much smaller than yours. However, I have read that in some cases it's possible to shrink a fibroid enough with Lupron to make laparoscopic surgery (whether hysterectomy or removal of the fibroid only) feasible. Did your gyn mention anything about this? Is it just the 17cm fibroid that is too large, or are the other ones too big for laparascopy also? It might be worth asking your 2nd opinion doctor. I've heard the side effects of Lupron can be very disagreeable but some ladies consider them a worthwhile tradeoff to be able to have laparoscopic vs abdominal surgery.

just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileybump
I was recently diagnosed with "large" uterine fibroids. At least one is growing like a stalk and is 17 cm - approx 7 inches. There are at least two and possibly more growing. My initial consultation with the gyn suggested a TAH, but I've been reading more and more about trying other means first. Fortunately, my fibroids are not painful and I have no heavy bleeding (likely because the large one is above my uterus - not IN it). I have no children and do not plan to have any. Perhaps the total hyster is my best bet? My gyn told me my fibroids are too large for laproscopic surgery. Iwill be 40 years old in November and have a feeling I will be celebrating it recovering from a hysterectomy.

I am going to have a second opinion, just to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I almost wish I had symptoms (sorry - I know many of you suffer greatly with the pain and bleeding). I don't want to rush into anything I don't have to - - anyone have any advice on LARGE fibroids?
Unread 08-26-2007, 06:28 PM

shantiblue, the damage caused to my bladder was that by having the large uterus and fibroids pressing on my bladder I wasn't voiding fully--I would feel like I had but upon examination, and further testing, a urologist found me with a full bladder. He wanted to teach me how to self-catherize (sp?) and I said No Way! I think that's when (about two years ago) I started seriously thinking about a hysterectomy. The urologist said that over time having such a full bladder could somehow damage the bladder, I didn't ask how. Now, even after surgery, I'm still voiding too frequently but at least now I think I am voiding fully. However, I think I will see the urologist again about my frequent voiding, or at least try what another hystersister here recommended, bladder retraining.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register