Back to work.. Back to reality | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to work.. Back to reality Back to work.. Back to reality

Unread 08-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Back to work.. Back to reality

Well, survived my first day back to work yesterday. Survivied is putting it nicely. Actually wasn't in any more pain then normal which surprised me. Just ended up really sore and exhausted. I had to work alone in my store from 8-3 so I was happy as could be when I saw my other employee show up! I did something to my foot (thought it was tendons but thinking maybe I got bit by something) so it's swollen up like a huge potato and my toes look like little vienna sausages! The bottom of my shin is red and streaky too so I have no clue.. just know it hurts really bad to walk and move it.. oh well.. one more thing to add to the list of problems right? Anyway, today will probably be a little rougher. I see all my regulars on Tuesdays and most of them didn't know I was having the surgery so I'm sure I'll be explaining where the heck I've been to everyone.. and really would like to do it somehow without REALLY explaining. I'm by myself again today so just praying I make it through. I did sleep through the night last night.. almost a full 8 hours which is remarkable so I guess being completely drained does have it's upside! Anyway, I'm alive so that's a good thing. Hope everyone has a good day.. time to go get ready for round 2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2007, 07:00 AM

Danielle, hang in there.............make sure you keep an eye on that foot also. Take it easy and don't over do anything, keep us posted on how you are doing at work.
Unread 08-14-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df323
I did something to my foot (thought it was tendons but thinking maybe I got bit by something) so it's swollen up like a huge potato and my toes look like little vienna sausages! The bottom of my shin is red and streaky too so I have no clue.. just know it hurts really bad to walk and move it.. oh well.. one more thing to add to the list of problems right?
Please get your foot checked out ASAP. Swelling and especially red streaks could be a sign of something more serious. This doesn't sound like a simple insect bite to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2007, 08:30 PM

Yes- please get your leg/foot checked ASAP!!!
Good luck!
Unread 08-15-2007, 08:25 AM

Well honestly if we weren't broke as skunks right now I would get the foot checked but I don't have the $$$ to even cover a copay until I get paid Friday. If it is still this bad then I'll try and get in Friday morning before work. Work has been ridiculous. I've had to work my store the past two days by myself forr the first 8 hours... My district manager called late yesterday afternoon and asked how I was feeling.. when I told her tired and sore she said "Well don't overdo it" .. ummm.. little hard when I can't have anyone working with me!! Ugh! Anyway, just sore and exhausted. Not much in the way of flat out pain which is good. Sore a little when I go to sit down which is a rare occurence when I'm working. But oh well..
Unread 08-15-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I did something to my foot (thought it was tendons but thinking maybe I got bit by something) so it's swollen up like a huge potato and my toes look like little vienna sausages! The bottom of my shin is red and streaky too so I have no clue.. just know it hurts really bad to walk and move it.. oh well.. one more thing to add to the list of problems right?
Swelling, red streaks, pain....these to not sound like symptoms that should be taken lightly. If you call your doctor and describe these symptoms, I'm pretty certain you won't be turned away for lack of a copay. If by some chance your doctor refuses to see you, you can go to the ER at your hospital. They will not require money up front.

What you have described may be something that can wait until Friday, but if not you could be putting your life in jeopardy.

Your employer was able to manage without you during your recovery period. I'm sure the store can manage without you for a couple of hours. Goodness, what if this were a blood clot? It could prove fatal.
Unread 08-16-2007, 09:59 AM

You have a point Catherine. There is just so much going on at work I'm scared to have something else come up. One of my shift leaders dh's was in a head on collision saturday night and is still in a coma. He has bleeding and swelling on the brain and they still don't know if he's going to make it. My asst manager just called and is on her way to the ER for possible appendicitis. Which only leaves myself and the new girl I just hired. I just feel so overwhelmed and once again, I'm putting myself on the back burner when I shouldn't. the swelling still hasn't gone down. I'm going to try epsom salt soaks today and if it still doesn't help I'll call the dr in the morning. I really can't afford anything else to go wrong right now!!!
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:45 AM

Danielle, I think you should tell a doctor about your leg/foot. What you described sounds like when my Mom got a brown recluse spider bite. And that is serious. I don't mean to scare you, I'm just worried about you. I understand how you are feeling about the money, cause I've been there too. But like Catherine said if you explain it to your Dr I'm sure they will let you pay it later.

Please call your Dr. or go to the Er.

And I'm sorry you are having to work all by yourself. I'm sure that is so rough after having a hysterectomy. Hang in there it will get better.
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
You have a point Catherine. There is just so much going on at work I'm scared to have something else come up. . . . . . Which only leaves myself and the new girl I just hired. I just feel so overwhelmed and once again, I'm putting myself on the back burner when I shouldn't. the swelling still hasn't gone down. I'm going to try epsom salt soaks today and if it still doesn't help I'll call the dr in the morning. I really can't afford anything else to go wrong right now!!!
I don't know what kind of store you run, but you also cannot afford to put off treatment! PLEASE call your Dr., I am sure they would hold the check for the co-pay until Fri. -- if they even go to the bank before then.

Swelling and red streaks indicate infection and if the swelling has not gone down - or the red streaks have gotten bigger or longer - it is possibly spreading -- so, "get your tail in there!!" [I am not trying to scare you but -- A couple people I know had been bitten by a spider and had similar symptoms, and ended up in the hospital for a couple days on IVs, etc. It took them a long time to get it cleared up.]
What will happen if you have something 'really' wrong and then end up in the hospital or on bed rest with you foot in the air?? (Can you tell I have been there?!?)

I am also self-employed and know what you are talking about with not having employee coverage, BUT you might end up being off longer by postponing seeing a Dr now. There have been times when I pushed myself when I should have taken off, because it was "_____" (fill in the blank).

Please, please, please -- call your dr and keep us posted.

Unread 08-16-2007, 01:36 PM

You need to forget about work and take care of yourself. They managed while you were recovering from your surgery and they can manage while you take time off to see a doctor.

You have described symptoms which could be very serious. If you have to close the store then close it until you can return from the doctor's office. As kftsnana said, red streaks can be a sign of infection, and if it is and it's not treated, it could be fatal.

Please go now to the ER. You don't need any money up front to see a doctor there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register