Kind of a Newbie | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kind of a Newbie Kind of a Newbie

Unread 08-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Kind of a Newbie

Hello, everyone. I read here some, and I thought I would give a summary of my experience. In May of this year, I felt a fibroid in my abdomen and went to the doctor. She was unable to do a pap smear and sent me on to an ultrasound. They found a big fibroid along with very large ovaries. So, I was scheduled for surgery on June 14. The surgery was supposed to take 3 hours, but it took 5, and I had to have two units of blood. They found ovarian cancer (adenocarcinoma). It has spread to the omentum. So, my Stage was IIIc. The oncologist did a complete debulking removing both ovaries, the uterus, the cervix, the fallopian tubes, the omentum. When he finished he could feel residual sandpaper under my diaphragm.

So, I stayed in the hospital for 12 days. Now I have just finished two chemo treatments. I am taking Taxol and carboplatin. During the first treatment, I had a severe reaction to the Taxol, but I was given some drugs to fight off the reaction and finished that treatment. Today I went for my second treatment, and I did not have a reaction.

My CA-125 was 1000 at the time of surgery. It dropped to 43 after the surgery. And it dropped to 9 after my first chemo. I was started on a three week plan for chemo, but now I am on a four week plan because it took that long to get my white blood cell count up.

I am staying positive, and I am not going to work during this treatment to try to give myself the best shot at kicking it. I know the odds are not that great, but some women beat it.

I would love to hear any suggestions or thoughts from the rest of you.

Thanks so much.
Krista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2007, 04:36 AM
Kind of a Newbie

You seem to be handling things well, and remember, that statistics are just statistics -- there are people who make it just fine. You're going to be one of them!!!

Hang in there. if you have any questions, let us know. We'll be thinking of you as you travel down the chemo road (a road none of us wants to go down, but ended up there!!!).
Unread 08-16-2007, 06:12 AM
Kind of a Newbie

Dear Blue,
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, but I'm so glad you found us!
There are so many wonderful sisters here, and we're going to be with you every step of the way.
I like what Willtowin said...and yes, you're going to make it!!
Just keep hanging in there, and know I'm praying for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Kind of a Newbie

dear blue artemis...we share a very similar diagnosis, except mine was also found in the peritoneum (lining of abdomen) and not the omentum. sounds like you are getting the best of care...you're very fortunate to have been able to finally tolerate the taxol...i was not able to, so cancelled. (i was wondering what your severe reaction was like?) you are wise to have given up working during this time and devote your energy to healing. best wishes to you that the chemo isn't too hard on you.
Unread 08-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Kind of a Newbie

Hello Krista,
Life does settle again after awhile. You've been through alot and your body is adjusting as well as your mind as you try to grapple with this diagnosis. It seems your surgery was very thorough and your numbers are GRRRREAT. 9 is fantastic. Carbo Taxil can have its difficulties but it is doable. and know we are all here for you.
Unread 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM
The reaction to Taxol

During my first chemo treatment, I had a reaction to the Taxol about seven minutes into the drip. At first my chest tightened up and my neck and face were very red. I could not talk, except to moan. The nurse stopped the drip and called in a doctor and another nurse. They gave me more Benadryl and some saline solution. Then after about 45 minutes, they started the Taxol again, and it did not affect me.

For my second chemo treatment, the doctor told me to take 20 mg of Decadron at midnight and again at 6 a.m. before the chemo. This was yesterday, and I did not have a reaction to the Taxol this time.

I am hoping to stay on this regimen since it is working!

Thanks so much for the welcome and the support.
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Kind of a Newbie

Hi Krista! You sound as though your head is in a good place. Just wanted to welcome you.

s!
Unread 08-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Kind of a Newbie

My second chemo treatment has been easier than the first. I have had more energy, too. Gotta fight!
Unread 08-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Kind of a Newbie

Krista!I was dx'd w/ovca 3c way back in June of 2004.
No recurance! It can be done!

Stats are just numbers from a LARGE group of people...YOU m'dear are an individual! I alwys said, "someone's got to be in that % of folks that don't recur....it may as well be me!"

Stay strong & positive. You can do this!

xoxo
k9
Unread 08-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Kind of a Newbie

Hi Blue,
I was dx with Stage 3C with mets to the uterus, rt ovary (primary was in the left), a 17cm omentum tumor, seeding on the rectum & diaphragm & 1 positive node. I was scared senseless & I am a nurse! My ca125 initially was 1267 which dropped to 32 after surgery & my first chemo, then it dropped to 17. After 9 months of taxotere & carboplantin it was < 5. I had 12 rounds of Hexalen as a maintenance chemo & after 2 years, almost, off chemo it hovers around 1.6. I hope this helps you feel better.
Bertha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register