Do eyebrows and lashes go too???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do eyebrows and lashes go too???? Do eyebrows and lashes go too????

Unread 07-03-2001, 11:57 AM
Do eyebrows and lashes go too????

I've been so busy worrying about head hair, do eyebrows and lashes go as well? I had
an appt next week for one of the cancer societies LooK Good Feel Good sessions. It's
basically a makeup hint type session for chemo patients. They just canceled out on
me until August!!! I was hoping they would answer this question and have hints for
me what to do. Now I have to depend on my hyster sister friends again. So glad you
are here for me. I've never owned an eye brow pencil. The thought of me drawing on
eyebrows kinda makes me laugh. And how weird do we look without lashes. I think
my own are rapidly thinning. Maybe it's time to forget contact lenses and hide behind
my glasses. Any thoughts? oxoxoxoxkarenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2001, 12:21 PM

Hugs Karen,
I guess it will depend on the chemo you are on, but if you lose your hair, there is a good chance you will also lose at least some of the brows and lashes.
In my case they were the last to go, and I didn't lose every lash or every brow hair either...so you may be the same. But I did lose most.
And I didn't have to shave my legs for several months, in fact I really was looking forward to the day when I would have to shave them again.

Those Look Good, Feel Better seminars are really good I hear. I was going to go to one but it fell on a night in my chemo week and I knew I probably would not be feeling like going so I never did get to one. But they have some great things, and really good makeup tips I hear.

I would think any hairdresser could give you tips on the eyebrows if you need help before your seminar. As I say I didn't lose all of mine but I did have to do some filling in.
Feel free to ask any questions at all that come to you Karen, between all of us we should be able to give you some input. So glad you found us!!
Your attitude is really great, keep the positive thoughts going, they work wonders!!
M. xo
Unread 07-03-2001, 06:17 PM

Hi Karen--

Like Maria, I also lost my most of eyelashes and eyebrow hairs, but they also were the last to go. I had to use an eyebrow pencil to make some eyebrows and I used some dark eyeshadow near my eyelash line (sort of like liner) to help with the eyelashes. If I used mascara, the few remaining lashes looked kind of spiky and weird, so I didn't use it. Also, when I removed my mascara, the eyelashes pulled out anyway. I know that at my hospital they sell false eyebrows -- I wish I'd known that - I would have purchased some. My MD told me not to use false eyelashes however; I guess the glue can irritate your eyes because of the chemo. I wear glasses, and they did help to hide the lack of eyelashes and eyebrows.

I hope this helps -- if you have any more questions, just ask!!!

Love,

Cyndy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2001, 09:32 PM

Hi Karen!

Yep, I sure was one who lost all eyelashes and brows. I also wore contacts prior to surgery but switched to my glasses when the chemo started.

I had wigs that all had bangs so that helped alot. I also used a brow pencil (a lighter very light brown helped make it not stand out so much), feathered it in so it wasn't so noticable.

One thing I also did with the eyelids that helped is using eyeliner (darker than the brows) on both upper and lower lids. That way it didn't look so "light" around the eyes. Most people couldn't even tell unless they looked real close!

Mine too were one of the last to go and you'll like this - The FIRST to come back! Boy, was I glad they did!

I sure enjoyed not having to shave my legs last summer! But, I agree with Maria, I did kind of miss it too! I thought I might forget how by the time I had too again! (i didn't though!)

You do have such a wonderful attitude! That's so important! Please do let us know how you are doing and know we're here for you anytime you need! Many prayers are coming your way!

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register