1 month PO - suddenly exhausted? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 month PO - suddenly exhausted? 1 month PO - suddenly exhausted?

Unread 08-17-2007, 12:25 PM
1 month PO - suddenly exhausted?

I am 1 month post op from my TVH and bladder sling surgery. The last couple weeks I have felt GREAT! Lots of energy, my moods are great - soo much better than the last year and a half.

But then - suddenly, starting Wed. night (today is Friday), I have felt exhausted. I felt like my blood sugar crashed a couple times and just felt very weak and worn out all over.

I'm not in any pain at all.

They took everything - including ovaries, so this couldn't be any kind of PMS could it?

I'm on a estrogen patch, that has seemed to be just fine so far.

Any ideas?

I really hate this feeling because I struggled with no energy, no motivation and mild depression for the last year and a half. I was so glad that was all over, and then this.

I just want to lay down and sleep, or cry a little. I'm in a good mood, but sooooo tired and don't feel like doing anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2007, 01:37 PM

The fatigue is something all my irl friends warned me of pre-op. It can continue for quite some time. I seem to hit a wall anywhere between 4 and 7 pm each day. I am so darned weary I could almost weep.
I keep trying to rebuild my stamina but hesitate to kick my walks back into high gear that it will wear me out and I won't last my shift at work if I do. I've also kept my caffiene consumption down and are trying to eat healthy and drinking lots of water.
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:57 PM

if you still feel like this next week, i'd give the dr a call. it could be that you need different hrt. i really hope you feel better soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2007, 02:17 AM

You still have a lot of internal healing going on and weeks 4 to 6 are the ones when this starts to happen. Sounds like you have been doing a lot and maybe need to rest a bit more and remember you had serious surgery and you need rest for all the internal healing to happen, this is just as much with TVH as TAH.......many people do too much at this stage in their recovery and then it can take longer to fully recover or cause complications so do give yourself some more time........in the UK 6 weeks is the absolute MINIMUM recovery time from hysterectomy and most people take 8 to 14 weeks it seems........just to add some perspective!
Unread 08-18-2007, 11:10 AM

What's it like for recovery time in the UK if you had an LSH/BSO? I've just had a bit of an argument with my dh because I am 2 1/2 weeks post-op and he thinks I might be "sandbagging" or not doing as much as I really should be doing by now. I really wanted to give myself the whole month of August, because I'll be homeschooling our 2 dc (ages 7 and 5.5) starting again very soon.

Just curious.... but I guess everyone is different.

Brenda
Unread 08-20-2007, 01:59 AM

Hi Brenda,

Sorry for delay could not access to reply yesterday. In the UK it is made clear to everyone having a hysterectomy, no matter what type, that the recovery period is 6 weeks minimum. most people go back to work after longer than that or go back on a phased part time return....

The key thing to remember is that internally the54e is still bruising, a large organ has been removed and everything else in that area re-arranges itself into the space!! No lifting for 3 months, including heavy shopping bags, doing too much too soon delays full recovery and can cause adhesions. So your dh needs a bit of a reality check!! At this stage in your recovery you should be walking every day, pottering about and doing light things, no ironing, hoovering, or anything requiring pressure on stomach muscles.

Hope this helps.....

Sapphi
Unread 08-20-2007, 05:06 AM

Thank you, Sapphi!! I just read your letter to my dh. He still thinks it's different for a laprascopic hysterectomy, but at least he was willing to listen.

I definitely do not want the return of any extra adhesions that I could possibly avoid, that's for sure!

It seems, in the U.S., that they are working there way up to 'drive-by' hysterectomies soon (at least it almost feels that way). We are such an 'instant gratification' society, so taking all this time to heal from a surgery seems like overkill to some.

I'm with you, though! I want, and think I need, some more time! But I have to start running my own errands this week and taking care of the house more. Hope it works out okay!

Brenda
Unread 08-20-2007, 06:19 AM

in the UK 6 weeks is the absolute MINIMUM recovery time from hysterectomy and most people take 8 to 14 weeks it seems........

I'm in Ireland and it's similar to the UK. I was told to 'Do NOTHING' until my post-op check-up at 6 weeks. That means no housework or driving. I've taken early retirement from teaching, but if I was still at work I certainly would not be back till after Christmas at the very earliest because of the strain of carrying heavy books and standing writing on the board.

Mary.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register