I feel great! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I feel great! I feel great!

Unread 07-03-2001, 03:24 PM
I feel great!

I just wanted to let all of you "pre-ops " know I had my surgery 6 days ago, LAVH - LSO, and I a feel great, a little tired, but great. I will be going over the "post-op" side, but I wanted to share my experience first, hoping to put someone's mind at ease.

The dr was great and the nurses were fantastic. They wanted to send me home the day after the surgery (I WAS SHOCKED), but I successfully begged for 1 more day of rest in the hospital. I'm very glad I did!

I came home Friday and haven't done much more than spend time with my family, read books and sleep and I can honestly say I feel great!

Good luck to all of you. I'll be thinking of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2001, 04:27 PM
I feel great!

Tracy,
Thank you for sharing your good experience with the pre-op sisters. I am so happy that your surgery went well and you are home recovering. Be sure and keep on pampering the

Do keep us posted on your progress.

Unread 07-03-2001, 06:19 PM
I feel great!

Hiya Tracy,

Thanks for posting to us. I am so happy your are feeling great after you surgery. I hope I do as well. Remember to take care of yourself even though you are feeling so good. Rest a lot and keep getting pampered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2001, 10:31 PM
I feel great!

Thanks for posting, it really helps to ease my mind I go to the castle Thursday.

Your crown is lovely! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a smooth recovery.

Rest, drink your fluids, and walk!

Oh and don't forget pamper pamper and more pampering for yourself!

Take Care!
Unread 07-04-2001, 02:27 PM
I felt great, too!

I just had to respond to your post. I had a TVH BSO on 5/18/01
They had me up and to the bathroom within a couple of hours post op,
and I went home the next day. I had NO PAIN at all. They gave me
some Torodol in my IV a couple of times, but never needed anything
stronger. I felt a little soreness and was really tired the first few days.

By the end of the first week, I was climbing the walls I was so bored.
I called my doctor and told him I wanted to go back to work---
he said, no problem, but take it easy. I worked part time for two weeks
and have been full time since-- (it's an office job, and I am hooked up to work
from home, so I did that during my two week part time)

When I went in for my 2 wk check up, I told my Dr. how amazed I was about
how great I felt and he said it wasn't unusual with a vaginal hyst. He also
said he had had a recent patient who called his nurse 3 days post op and asked
if the doctor really did the surgery because she too felt great!

I had spent years with painful periods, recurring dysplasia, terrible
backaches and they are all gone! I can hardly remember a time I didn't
have a backache. They found fibroids and adenomyosis. I asked my
doctor to take the ovaries even if they were healthy. My greatest fear has
always been ovarian cancer. I would rather take the HRT and don't regret
the decision one bit.

Sooo... a hsyterectomy doen't necessarily have to be painful. I still get
tired easily and I don't do everything I used to do, but I couldn't ask for
a better recovery!
Unread 07-04-2001, 04:44 PM
I feel great!

I'm really glad to be able to read of everyone who feels so great after their surgeries. I will be having a total abdominal hysterectomy including the ovaries, on July 12th (if the results of my other tests necessary from my past medical history, come back ok) and I wonder two things:
1. What does everyone do the day before the surgery?
2. How does one feel after the surgery?
3. Did anyone ask for a sedative either before leaving for the hospital, before going into the operating room or both?
Unread 07-04-2001, 05:29 PM
For ELF

Not all doctors require the same thing of their patients the day before surgery. You'll want to talk to either your doctor or the nurse who handles your Pre-admission testing about what you will be allowed to eat/drink the day before surgery.

Some doctors require a bowel prep. I had to drink magnesium citrate and use a Fleets enema the night before surgery. Only do this if your doctor tells you to.

The day before surgery I was on a clear liquid diet. Allowed were the following: ginger ale, apple juice, black coffee, tea (no milk), clear broth, popsicles, jello.

I was given something to calm me when I was being prepped for surgery. The nurses do their best to make sure that you are comfortable and relaxed.

After surgery I was only in pain if I moved. The pain is very manageable. The first couple of days I slept a lot, but the nurses encourage you to get up and walk as soon as possible. Believe it or not, the more you walk the easier it gets.

Best wishes to you,
Unread 07-04-2001, 10:10 PM
I feel great!

Welcome home Tracy - see you on the post op section
Unread 07-05-2001, 12:35 AM
to ELF's questions

Hi ELF,

Those are good questions. I had a lot of questions swishing around in my head before surgery. The day before surgery I thought I would be like a crazy person, but I wasn't. I guess I had worried for months so I was all worried out. I made sure I kept very busy that whole last week--cleaning, shopping organizing, etc. I wanted to feel settled and also keep my mind off everything. I was just so sick of thinking!! That night I slept fine (surprise) and just accepted that it would soon be over.

After surgery I didn't feel a thing!! Maybe I was just lucky or they gave me a lot of good drugs but I not only didn't feel anything that whole day--I don't REMEMBER anything!! And looking back, that's a good thing. I don't remember the recovery room where they say I was for 3 hours. I don't remember being taken to my room or put in a bed. Everything is kind of blank. I remember people talking to me in the room and one nurse telling me about the IV pain pump but I do remember smiling with my eyes closed and nodding to everything. I know my husband was there. The next morning I still didn't feel any pain. They came and took away the IV pain pump and told me to ask for pain pills every 3 hours and not to wait. They got me up and around. I had no catheter the 2nd day. I had a sore throat from the tube. I did spend time in bed dozing off that 2nd day but I was druggy so I couldn't really concentrate on TV or conversation.

The next day I was more lucid and walked around the halls a lot. I asked for the meds every 3 hours and they worked fine. It was tricky getting out of bed but if you use the rails and roll sideways you get used to it. That only lasts a few days. I had no trouble walking straight. I was talking more. I ate real food. I took a shower. I was getting stir crazy. That's when you know you want to go home and you are feeling better. I went home on morning 4 (Fri AM-Mon AM).

As to taking meds in the pre-op room--ask for them if you want. They are more than happy to give you what you want to make you comfortable. I didn't know about this until later and probably would have asked for something. However, they were so nice to me in pre-op that I felt calm (sort of). They are so used to this that they do everything so routinely. They put warm blankets on you and talk to you. My DH was there part of the time and then he was called back in to be with me before they took me in to the OR. My DR came in and was very sweet. I told the anesthesiologist that I didn't want to feel anything or see ANYTHING. The GREATEST part of this (and I do know that hospitals are different on this) was that I was put out in the pre-op and never saw the operating room--that would have bothered me. I didn't want to be awake when I was wheeled down the hall and into the operating room. So I don't have any recollection of seeing anything like that. It was the BEST. When the nurse put the IV in my hand soon they put in some drugs (right before surgery) and BOOM--in a second I felt so good. My husband says I was just giggling and laughing and he says I said "Wow, I feel so funny." Soon after that, I was OUT. I never woke up sick or feeling bad in my entire hospital stay and I have a sensitive stomach. I only felt nauseous one evening and they gave me a shot and in five minutes I was fine.

So, it does depend on the situation, but I hope I have made you feel calmer. The nurses and doctors want you to have a good expereince and they know what to do for you. Just ask them. Don't wait until things get bad in the middle of the night. The night I felt nausea, it was 3 a.m. and I couldn't sleep so I went out in the hall and told them I felt sick. They were so nice and sympathetic--they not only brought the shot right away, they brought saltines and ginger ale. They are used to this.

I will be thinking about you and hope you have am easy recovery.

ARTY

TAH/BSO fibroids
5-4-01
Unread 07-05-2001, 06:28 AM
I feel great!

The day before surgery I made sure laundry was done( my 14 yr old does it now). Went to the grocery & stocked up on alot!!
washed & conditioned my hair(pampered myself a little)

Afterwards, I as surprized that it didn't hurt like I thought it would, but I did take all my pain pills to be on the safe side!!

As soon as I got to hospital,after pee cup & gown, I got 20 mgs. of valium. that calmed me down somewhat, but I wasn't out of it. The IV went in, Dr came in, pastor for the Hospital came in, said goodbye to the fan club, & the last thing I remember was the Anathes. guy saying you might feel a sting in your hand from the IV. My husband said I said "I don't care".
I never saw the operating room or recovery. I woke up as they were wheeling me into my PRIVATE room .
I've had 5 other surgeries...& it seems like I've always seen the operating room/recovery area. I frankly don't like seeing the OP rm., & since they knew I was anxious about this, maybe that's why they knocked me out ASAP.
Good luck to you!! The waiting is very hard, I know!!
Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register