Mesh Erosion? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mesh Erosion? Mesh Erosion?

Unread 08-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Mesh Erosion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrahDeb
xrray--

I'm sorry you are having this problem. You are definitely NOT the only one. It's called mesh erosion. Sometimes my Dr. called it graft erosion. Sometimes it's called 'extrusion' instead of erosion. It's when the polypropylene mesh erodes through the wall of the vagina (or other organ) and causes pain/problems.

Mine felt like window screening and felt very rough to me. I had 3 mesh removal surgeries [and many 'in-office' procedures where my first Dr. removed small pieces without benefit of anesthesia--I do NOT recommend that]. My last removal surgery was this past Feb. and since then, I have not had a problem with mesh because my current Dr. removed everything that was left (that he could find and safely remove, that is).

Sometimes when the erosion is very small, Dr.'s recommend treating it with a vaginal estrogen cream. That is what I tried at first that didn't work for me. I still used the cream to keep the tissues in good shape but my erosions just kept happening. You can ask your Dr. about what s/he might recommend for you.

In any case, you need to let your Dr. know that you are still feeling the mesh. If you have further problems, I'd recommend seeing a UroGYN who has had experience with mesh removals and get his/her expert opinion on what you should do. (You can find a UroGYN in the U.S. at augs.org under "information for women".)

You can also search for "mesh erosion" here on Hyster Sisters by going to the Search tab at the top of this page in the purple bar and typing it in with the quote marks to see what comes up. [There will be MANY posts, I assure you.]

Sending a BIG and healing vibes.......

Hi..just curious..I am having the Da Vinci, robotic, laproscopic surgery on 8/22...I am having uterus/left ovary removed..keeping cervix...everything is going to be done hopefully by 4-5 very small incisions on abdominal wall....I am having the polypropylene mesh, prolift a&P also..I too was very worried about mesh erosion..I postponed my surgery for 1 month because of the worry...anyway.my doc assured me she has never had to remove mesh..and the few that had erosion were because of the way their vaginal stitching healed or seperated allowing mesh to probe thru....she said she will not be cutting/stitching anything in the vaginal area...now I am reading about your statement..eroding into other organs????...what does that mean???.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Mesh Erosion?

ribyra--

From what I've read--and I'm no expert--the abdominal approach to repairs does seem to have less of a risk of erosion than does the vaginal approach. However, no method is totally risk-free. Some women have had TVT's or TOT's erode into their bladders or urethras as well as into the vaginal walls. That's what I meant by that statement. It's not meant to be alarmist, I'm just stating the facts of what can happen to some few women.

Keep in mind that it doesn't happen to most. It isn't clear by reading the literature of what the true erosion rates are. Some manufacturers state their rates as veing VERY small--1-3%. I have read other reports that state it can be as high as 17% (or greater for certain types that have already been taken off the market). Polypropylene mesh was originally developed as a repair for abdominal hernias which is a MUCH thicker part of your body than the delicate vaginal tissues that it is being used in now.

If you'd like to read a somewhat lengthy but informative article, I am linking to it here so you can get a full overview of what 2 professors in Urology and Urogynceology think about such repairs and the different approaches. I like reading this kind of thing but it can get technical so be prepared.

The vast majority of people who have artificial mesh put in them do NOT have problems. Having said that, I am one of the women who experienced vaginal mesh erosion. Mine was put in vaginally. The erosion was painful and beyond aggravating. I had 3 surgeries to remove it and I would NEVER have it put into me again voluntarily. If I had it to do over again, I would try any of the biological meshes--autologous, cadaveric, bovine, or porcine--first. The problem is that for the few of us who do experience it, the problems can be horrible and sometimes catastrophic. In my opinion, polypropylene mesh use is something that needs to be more fully researched before being used so much.

I do wish you the very best and always keep my fingers crossed for each HysterSister undergoing any type of surgery. Sending many +++ thoughts and extra good vibes.......
Unread 08-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Mesh Erosion?

OrahDeb said it all. I'm just here to chime in and advise you to continue your research, learn about the risks and complications of mesh augmentation in prolapse repair. I totally agree that a mesh repair will yield a stronger more longer lasting repair. If you and your Dr decide to use mesh for your surgery you must be prepared to accept those risks and complications that are mentioned. If you should be one of those with the statistical complications like OrahDeb and I have had, know that it can be very painful and the road to diagnosis and treatment long and hard.
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Mesh Erosion?

Have you read all the literature on the Prolift mesh? I remember something about the risk of erosion being higher if done during hysterectomy, now having said that - you are leaving your cervix - so that may make a difference. My uro/gyn and I discussed the Prolift to great length and he also said that he had only had 1 person have erosion problems and that was a quick fix procedure. I wish you the best - I was too chicken to go with the Prolift and my repair failed....... I pray your surgery and recovery go smoothly! Hugs.
Unread 08-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Mesh Erosion?

If I were you, I would get another opinion before having the prolift put in. A lot of mesh is used in the a and p prolift, so even though mesh erosion is rare--if it happens with the prolift, its a big problem.

I had the posterior prolift put in in 2005 and had mesh erosion. Even though it was a small erosion, I had the whole thing removed in Febr. of this year because the rest of the mesh had wrinkled in me causing me pain with intercourse. It also shortened my vagina. The stuff doesn't stretch like a vagina does.

I had it removed at the Mayo--and the docs there won't use synthetic mesh for those kind of repairs. That's why I would get another opinion from a urogyne that works at a large teaching hospital.

Good luck. Its good that you are being careful. I wish I would have done more research before my first surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register