pain at 2 and a half weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain at 2 and a half weeks pain at 2 and a half weeks

Unread 08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
pain at 2 and a half weeks

I received an abdominal hysterectomy taking uterus and cervix. Had to stay in hospital 6 days due to inability to pass gas or have a bowel movement. When released told to take Colaid stool softener twice a day. Was having a bowel movement every day. But now constipated. Have been having a lot of gas and belching(have a hiatel hernia). Today a lot of pain in left side of abdomen all day long. Could this be gas? Should I call doctor tomorrow? I have been doing prune juice and oatmeal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2007, 08:12 PM

Seeker -

I found in the first month, I had good days and bad days (kind of a 2 steps forward, 1 step back thing). Gas can be an issue for a while. The foods sound great for regularity. Are you taking Gas X? This helps was the gas wonderfully. Are you drinking a good amount of water? That helps against bowel issues. I also found peppermint tea (its real mild) was helpful hot or cold.

Call the Dr? Couldn't hurt but there are things to think about adding if you think its digestive.

Best wishes,

Julie
Unread 08-20-2007, 05:38 AM

I am 7 weeks post op and still having gas pains at times. I would definitely think that's a possibility at only 2 weeks. I had a rough recovery so maybe I'm not the perfect person to ask .. hahahha. If it's on your left side I would lean towards gas especially if the pain seems to subsude after passing gas/bm's. If you are still wondering I'm sure the dr wouldn't mind the call!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2007, 05:50 AM

I was having pains in my left lower quad and low and behold , I was constipated. My doctor wasn't sure what was going on and the abdominal/pelvic cat scan revealed that I was highly constipated and a cyst on my liver. The cyst had nothing to do with the pain. I had this cat scan four weeks after the LAVH. My doctor has me taking MiraLax daily until November. He does not want my bowels to stretch. I had a lot of adhesions on my bowels. This stuff, MiraLax, is wonderful. He said that your bowels can not become dependent on it. It's a white powder that you can mix with juice, water, yogurt etc.. Great stuff.

Hope you are feeling better. Being constipated is not a fun thing. Been there.
Unread 08-21-2007, 09:11 PM

7 weeks? I think maybe my doctor didn't give me enought info. I really underestimated recovery issues. I even thought I could return to work at 4 weeks, but I'm seriously doubting that now. I clean houses, several a day.
Unread 08-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Just wondering how it went or if you called

Well I was reading your post I am looking for answers too. Was just wondering if you had any other signs and symptoms (fever, nausea, etc..) and did you call you doc. and what is happening?

I only ask because I am having terrible pain at 4 week and found out today that I am having a 8.7cm x 6.5 cm baby hematoma LOL. Anyway I have had just a low grade fever, nausea, pain, pressure and still unable to walk tall. Anyway I hope and pray for you that you dont go through what I am going through and pray that you have a wonderful doc.

's to all!
Unread 08-21-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCinfoseeker
I received an abdominal hysterectomy taking uterus and cervix. Had to stay in hospital 6 days due to inability to pass gas or have a bowel movement. When released told to take Colaid stool softener twice a day. Was having a bowel movement every day. But now constipated. Have been having a lot of gas and belching(have a hiatel hernia). Today a lot of pain in left side of abdomen all day long. Could this be gas? Should I call doctor tomorrow? I have been doing prune juice and oatmeal.
I struggled with post-op constipation as well. One suggestion from a Sister that really helped me, was instead of taking the stool softener twice a day, take both at bed time. Then drink your prune juice first thing in the morning either before breakfast, or with a light breakfast. Since I changed my routine to this ... have had no problems. Sometimes adding coffee (with caffeine) or tea in the morning also helps.

As for the time off ... I had TAH and Dr. told me 7 weeks as well (and I have a desk job). I am feeling good, and Dr. said if I felt up to it, I could try a few hours a day at 6 weeks ... but we'll see.
Unread 08-22-2007, 04:43 AM

Jen -

I did go back at 6 weeks for 6 hours a day for a week. I am so glad I did it. It reminded people I had had major surgery (not a o good your back - dump - thing), it allowed me to ease back into things and honestly the forst couple days I was whipped by the time I left but by the end of the week I was ok. Then it was the same for my 1st full week.

I really think its the way to return in my opinion.

Julie
Unread 08-22-2007, 07:41 AM

Julie ~ I totally agree. I had two other very difficult medical leaves in the past two years, and both times I "eased" back into work just like you. I too agree that it's better than jumping right back in. Probably what I will end up doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register