Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007 - Page 47 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007 Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007

Unread 10-02-2007, 08:16 PM
6-Week Report

My total hysterectomy was 8/21 due to a fibroid cyst, and after three weeks of constant pain, a bout with a sinus infection/congestion, coughing, etc., then a yeast infection from the antibiotic, I had 5 or 6 days of feeling pretty good. We celebrated my 62nd birthday with an hour's trip to the next town to eat and look through Hobby Lobby. I was a little tired, but did fine.

A couple of days later, an excruciating, stabbing pain hit me on my right side, which laid me up for about 4 days. After 2 days, I went for my 5-week checkup to my OB-GYN (also an hour's drive), he realized the pain I was in, prescribed Vicodin, and ordered a CT scan (an hour's drive again the next day). The scan showed nothing, so he said I'd just have to take the pain meds and wait it out!

After a couple more days, the pain began to subside, and I went to church Sunday for the first time in 6 weeks! Monday (yesterday) our contractor told us we had to pick out our tub and showers for a new house we are building, so we made another hour's drive to the plumbing supply. I'm making it fine now, and hope I'm out of the woods as far as the pain goes!

I still have tenderness in my incision and it is prickly and somewhat sore to the touch. When I move quickly or a certain way, or turn over in bed, or try to sleep on my side, I feel it pulling and think I should be careful, lest I cause another bout with pain. My belly is still swollen! How long will I have to endure this?? I was discouraged Sunday when I chose my loosest dress and it was so tight around my tummy I could hardly sit comfortably! When I'm on my feet for a while, I get really tired. The only walking I'm doing is through my house and on the occasional shopping or doctor visits I've had to do.

I'm a very healthy "older" :dance2: woman, and resent the fact that this has hit me so hard and I seem to be recovering more slowly than most people. I need to get back to work, but I'm going to give it another week before I go back and try it. My husband is a pastor, I'm his secretary, and he's been pulling double duty waiting on me hand and foot! The most I've done in six weeks is a little laundry, so I know I haven't overdone it and contributed to my pain and slow recovery.

This website has helped me tremendously - I just wish I had found it before my surgery; I wouldn't have felt so alone and discouraged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007

Joesbeaux......I know how you are feeling. I found this a few weeks after surgery and I too had wished I had found it before hand.

since being home from vacation, I have started having pains again. I guess trying to do too much and the driving is bothering me.

When will it end?!?!?!......I want to be back to NORMAL!!
Unread 10-03-2007, 12:01 AM
dutchclog

Today i had my 6 week check up, thought i was was doing okay a bit of pain here and there, but what a shock it was to find out that i have another growth, so off for more ultrasounds and Dr's appointment.
Quite a let down but hey life is still pretty good.
Husband is a blessing could not have got through today without him.
Hope everyone else is doing well, if it wasn't for this site and all the help and information that it supplies i would have gone this alone as no one in the family has gone through this,
So again thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2007, 07:16 AM

Joesbeaux, I'm glad you are feeling better now. It just takes time and patience. I had a total hyst and bladder repair on 8-22-07. Tomorrow will be 6 weeks and I will return to work. I'm feeling pretty good. I'm a registered nurse and will be on my feet for 8 hours tomorrow. Someone asked me why didn't I wait till monday to start back. My reply was that I needed to ease in to working. I will work for two days and then I would have the weekend to recooperate. I will be praying for your recovery. Just hang in there and allow your body its right to heal itself. Take this time to pamper yourself and don't feel guilty about doing that. LadyM.
Unread 10-03-2007, 07:18 AM

dutchclog, you just hang in there. Prayer is on the way.LadyM.
Unread 10-03-2007, 08:49 AM

gwgal: I can identify with wanting to be normal! I wish I had bought the swelly belly belt - think I'm going to try a cold pack on my tummy a few times today and see it it decreases the swelling. I, too, want to be NORMAL!

dutchclog: I am SO sorry you have to go through more! I will pray for you. I have lamented that others recover so much quicker, and felt discouraged and sorry for myself. I know that we each have our own journey to make, though. Since this was my very first surgery, I have learned to do lots of research on my own BEFORE I go into anything! Hang in there!

Lady Margaret: I will think of you tomorrow! My nurses were wonderful! I believe what you've gone through will make you an even better one. One thing this has taught me: I thought I had sympathy for others in pain, but since I've experienced surgery and pain, my heart is much more sensitive to others in pain. I hope you do well. (Used to live in Louisville and have friends all over KY. Had a vacation once at Park City, and friends from the Scottsville area.)
Unread 10-03-2007, 02:12 PM
left dr office

Hi everyone,

I haven't written much, but I feel really blue and alone right now. I was scheduled for my 6 week check up, but the dr office was backed up. In fact she wasn't even there. I sat in the waiting room for 30 min past my appt time and then asked for a reschedule. I just couldn't stay there surrounded by all those younger women that were obviously pregnant. Nothing against them, but it was either them or me. It was either start swinging, start balling like a baby or get out. I chose to get out. I miss my parts. I always will. I don't feel like I'm the same, because I'm not. I know I'll adjust but it hurts so much right now. The dr nurse said I could reschedule for Friday at 8, before the dr leaves for the airport. I but she understood why. thanks for listening.

Jenny
Unread 10-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Jenny........sorry u are having such a bad day....

Unlike you I haven't begun to miss the parts.....everyone said I will and I will have crying jags but none of the above yet....Am I weird?!?!?!......maybe just no downtime to be sad....don't know...

I hope tho that you have a better evening...

jul
Unread 10-03-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2me
Hi everyone,

I haven't written much, but I feel really blue and alone right now. I was scheduled for my 6 week check up, but the dr office was backed up. In fact she wasn't even there. I sat in the waiting room for 30 min past my appt time and then asked for a reschedule. I just couldn't stay there surrounded by all those younger women that were obviously pregnant. Nothing against them, but it was either them or me. It was either start swinging, start balling like a baby or get out. I chose to get out. I miss my parts. I always will. I don't feel like I'm the same, because I'm not. I know I'll adjust but it hurts so much right now. The dr nurse said I could reschedule for Friday at 8, before the dr leaves for the airport. I but she understood why. thanks for listening.

Jenny
Please know that so many sisters are out here sending you hugs and prayers, and hoping that your days will get easier.
Unread 10-03-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchclog
Today i had my 6 week check up, thought i was was doing okay a bit of pain here and there, but what a shock it was to find out that i have another growth, so off for more ultrasounds and Dr's appointment.
Quite a let down but hey life is still pretty good.
Husband is a blessing could not have got through today without him.
Hope everyone else is doing well, if it wasn't for this site and all the help and information that it supplies i would have gone this alone as no one in the family has gone through this,
So again thanks
Sending lots of prayers and hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register