Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007 - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007 Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007

Unread 08-27-2007, 09:47 AM
hello sisters!

had my LAVH on friday 8/24. surgery was uneventful according to doc although i was still pretty out of it even in the recovery room. when i got up to my hospital room, kept falling asleep on my visitors! demerol is crazy! i was the first surgery in the morning, so was in and out by the time my soaps came on!

came home saturday and have been taking it easy although i feel pretty good. not getting much pampering from dh (he's a selfish kinda sort), but others have been bringing food, etc. so i don't have to cook!

the only problem i have is this stupid swelly belly. it's kinda gross, but i know it'll go away (i sure hope it does!) no probs w/gas at all and only a little spotting.

i know i need to take it easy even though i feel good, so plan to milk this as much as i can! ;-) it won't kill dh to do a load of laundry or two!

hope everyone else is recovering nicely! this board has been so very wonderful in knowing what to expect as well as the advice and support! thank heavens for hyster sisters!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2007, 10:42 AM
11306 Home

What a whirl wind --- Wed got a call to change surgery to Mon 12:55pm.... from 8am Fri (seems the part of the hospital that I would be in is usually closed down over the week-end and there would be no-one to take care of me if I had to stay another night.) Thur get another call the Dr. has to be somewhere else at 1pm Mon. So I tell them that origanially we knew of the hospital problem and I could be taken to the other castle if I had to stay longer. So they finally call back and say 10:45 Fri am. YEA!!! cuz I'm more than ready. So we get there and I didn't get to surgery until almost 11:30 as the Dr. has to delivere a baby. So finally all goes well only took my uterus that was full of fibroids , got to keep ovaries and tubes , no problem getting up afterward and came home Sat morning. (I could have stayed in the castle another night as the birthing center was overflowing and there were 4 moms and babies on my floor) I,m verry fortunate everything has gone really well and I have my daughters that are 23 and 32 to take good care of me along with my sister! I can only wish everyone else as much good luck as I have had.
Unread 08-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007

5 days post op..where did the time go????..LOL...had lsh on wed 22nd...removed uterus, kept ovaries and cervix..polyprophylene mesh support for cystocele, rectocele...urinary tract and bowels working great, a little help from milk of magnesia.....lot of swelling in legs and more in vaginal area..whole area looks like a big, purple water balloon..no pain..just does not look right...called my doc Sunday nite and she got right back to me...said it was probably due to the fact i have been sleeping sitting up in reclined position and all fluids migrate to lowest part of body which would be vaginal area...so i slept last nite with a pillow under my bottom and the swelling was way down this morning...of course now after 6 hours of sitting upright it is back, though not as bad..so i will concede to the fact that i have to lay down with pillow under me again for few hours...other than that and slight soreness is lapro incision areas..i feel great...i am even off my pain meds and just maybe a tylenol here or there...i do take lunesta at nite to sleep....my 6 year old son has been wonderful....he sets up my chairs for me to sit and one to rest legs...he pours my water and cleans up after breakfast and lunch..which DH lays out the nite before...so far seems to be going well....only ventured outside for a few steps to water my hanging plant which my dh probably forgot about in all his other worrying...it looked a little dry..LOL.......best wishes to all in their recovery also....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2007, 11:43 AM
no place like home?

Home from my surgery; dr ended up being able to do everything laproscopically--uterus, cervix, ovaires--oh my!

more pain than I anticipated though. maybe had too high of recovery expectations. came home yesterday and trying to take the time I need but NOT getting the help. DH actually suggested I could get my 10 mo old out of her crib so he could get out of the house! Maybe *****y from the new hormones? Just sad right now...maybe time to post on a discussion.
Unread 08-27-2007, 01:06 PM

just got path report back and no cancer was confirmed only the atypia complex hyperplasia that was removed in my tlh bso. I am so happy want to do a happy dance, but that might hurt lol. woke up sore, but took one pill and walked it off, relieved some gas and pain is managable today. hope everyone else has a good day.
Unread 08-27-2007, 01:18 PM

I had nightmares last night, must be from the pain meds.

Also, advice for anyone leaving the hospital with a catheter, be sure they give you the larger night bag! I had only the leg bag that is for the day time. I have a family member going to the hospital now to get me the larger night bag for me. We emptied the small leg bag 4 times during the night. Not to mention, I suppose it could pop during the night.

Also, running a low grade fever which is normal. My doctor says not to worry unless it gets to 100.5. Just resting a lot today.

Rest, rest, rest. Walk when you can. Don't overdo anything. Pamper yourself and recover properly. Only one chance to get it right.

Lots of friends and family calling to check on me. The support of that and HysterSisters is wonderful.
Unread 08-27-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish42
Home from my surgery; dr ended up being able to do everything laproscopically--uterus, cervix, ovaires--oh my!

more pain than I anticipated though. maybe had too high of recovery expectations. came home yesterday and trying to take the time I need but NOT getting the help. DH actually suggested I could get my 10 mo old out of her crib so he could get out of the house! Maybe *****y from the new hormones? Just sad right now...maybe time to post on a discussion.

I also had a lap/robotic surgery...my abdominal area is so swollen and very sore..even hard to walk....your DH needs to understand you should not pick up the baby for a few weeks...it is serious/major surgery..maybe the doctor should tell him........I am five days out and can't really even pick up a small milk container...you have alot of internal stitching that need to heal correctly......better to be safe than sorry...I am sure dh will not want to do without you for days if you rupture something and have to go back to the castle.........is there anyone else that can help you...gosh that must be hard with little one...my 6 year old is pretty self sufficient but I still feel bad that he is stuck in the house for his last few wks of summer vacation...my mom just took him for a walk..........please be careful and take it slow....I have a lot of swelling and my doc said I may need to be on bed rest for up to 2 weeks...so it is important to follow orders.....she also told me not to lift anything more than 10 lbs when i do feel up to it until at least 6 wks
Unread 08-27-2007, 04:32 PM

Biopsy results show the ovarian cyst was BENIGN!!! My CA-125 was elevated, so that has been eating at me for 2 1/2 months since I got that dreadful news. Needless to say, I've felt great today, but after all that excitement (& lots of phone calls to my supportive pals & fam) I needed a long nap this afternoon. My belly really feels amazingly well but my energy reserves are non-existent, so I guess all that healing our bods are tasked with uses up all my juice. I know that if the test results had been different, I'd probably had to have more surgery, but as it stands, I'm grateful for the laprascopic cause I can't believe how quickly I've mended.
I feel guilty for worrying all my friends & fam about this (although I only told a few peeps - some who blabbed). But now, we celebrate.
Unread 08-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Finally done!

I had a TAH with a Marshall Marschetti bladder repair. Doctor took the cervix too! He discovered endemetriosis on left ovary, which he heas able to remove and save the ovary! THAT was the easy part.

I woke up choking on the breathing tube and had to pull it out myself. Don't know where the nurses were....couldn't open my eyes, and just heard someone say, "she pulled it out herself!" and " oh look, she's bleeding from the mouth!" Still can't remember why I was bleeding from the mouth.

On Day 4, the nurse from hell arrived. Nurse " " told me she had to measure the amount of urine left in my bladder after having emptied. She removed my catheter (very painful- she she said I had a size "20" in, when I should have had, MAYBE an 18) She then allowed me to pee. Thank God I had no problem peeing, just some burning, and a sens of still needing to go, and feeling like my insides were going to pour out....yuck. She then proceeded to stick ANOTHER catheter into my bladder in order to measure the amount of urine, if any, left in my bladder. She couldn't stick the darned thing in! She said she'd felt a wall and proceeded to continue to stick the catheter in, while commenting to another nurse, " I think that's the right hole!" I have never cried from the gut as I cried that morning.

Adding insult to injury, the Doctor arrived about two hours later. He was severely ticked off at the nurse who told him "she THOUGHT I'd emptied" He was mad!! He then proceeded to REPEAT the procedure. I've never been in so much pain. Thankfully, I had fully voided. They could not stop apologizing!!! Over all, I think my surgeon did the best he could and he saved my ovaries!!! No more painful periods and grapefruit in my pants! He also said the fibroids were not as large as they appeared on the ultrasound....thank God he went ahead with the procedure....I believe the endemetriosis was enough to justify the surgery! Good luck to all!
Unread 08-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Little update

Hard to believe that just a week ago I was dealing with the remnants of the glorious bowel prep and all the nervousness associated with knowing there was just one more sleep before going to the castle. Now, here I am, almost a week out from the surgery and feeling better than expected. Best of all, I'm not bleeding - for the first time since April.

Today was a pretty good day. I'm finally able to lay on my side for bits of time, which is a real relief to my lower back. I slept quite a bit today, but did take a short walk down to the mailbox, put a small load of laundry in the washer, and cleaned up the kitchen a bit. Also ate more substantially than I have since I've been home.

On the down side, I'm having some pretty sharp gas pains and try as I might, haven't had a BM for two days. I finally just took a mild laxative hoping that will do its magic overnight and provide some relief.

Sending prayers and good thoughts to all of my wonderful sisters... Be blessed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register