Coming home with the dogs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Coming home with the dogs Coming home with the dogs

Unread 08-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Coming home with the dogs

I have been trying to get things arranged in my home before the big day,( My BF thinks I am taking things to far) My mom wants me to come and stay with her for at least the first week, But BF thinks home will be better. My big question is we have 4 small dogs that all like to sleep with me at night, even when I feel good they can drive me crazy. Well bottom line is should I try to put up with the dogs and BF or just goto my moms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2007, 09:04 AM

I have 2 golden retrievers and a shih tzu. One golden and the shih tzu both like to sleep with me, so I understand your concern. My golden likes to lay with her head on my lap or tummy, so I made sure I had a small pillow over my incisions at all times. My dogs are my 'kids' so I think it helped emotionally for me to be with them.

My husband was a sweetheart about taking them out for walks, making sure they were fed on time, and keeping their water bowls filled. Since my shih tzu is a senior, my husband was also called upon to help him onto the bed sometimes.
Unread 08-20-2007, 09:15 AM

Hi,
I have a 3 year old Australian shepherd who is sweet but is highly overexuberant. When I come home he is going to stay at my mom's for the first week I am home. I will miss him, but he has my mom's dog to play with, so he will have a ball. The cats get to stay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2007, 09:39 AM

i think they can be great company, but i know my cocker/golden stepped on my tummy once - YIKES! it"s funny how protective we become of our bodies after surgery - almost like we want to build a 4 foot bubble around our stomachs! Perhaps it depends on how active they are and wether you will feel threatened physically. 4 is a lot of dogs! I guess you just have to decide where it is u will feel most comfy... maybe your moms for a few days then home? you can always kick the dogs out of bed at night!
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:39 AM

I only have one dog right now (lots of other critters, but only one dog LOL) and her spot is on my Hubbys pillow the moment he leaves for work and until he gets into bed at night. She does come down and play and go outside and stuff, but some days its not very often LOL. She is always right next to me then like a real live "stuffed" animal and I find her very comforting.

But. She likes to wake me up from my naps by occasionally barking at passers by. She is very hurt when I close her on the other side of the door to take naps, but that's where she will be for the first week. She is a medium sized dog and I worry most about her jumping up to see me when I get home. Maybe I could put on a real protective bubble suit to come home in. Then I wouldnt worry so much about the car ride and exuberant pets.
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:48 AM
RE: Dogs

Thanks for all your replys, My dogs are a Jack Russel, Rat Terrier, Chihuahua, and a Dauchand (normal size) and there are also 3 cats, but they are no bother. My dogs do like to bark alot at stupid stuff also. My moms is sounding better by the moment
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:58 AM

I am also worried about my dogs when I get home. We have a lab and a golden. The golden won't be any problem, she's very content to lay around all day - I think she has a bladder the entire size of her body! The part that concerns me is the lab he is almost a year old and loves to run and play and occasionally jump on us (we're working on that!).

The part I'm concerned about is when I return home and getting them back in - we have a large (15 acres) yard but we live in town (small). I can't have them running all day unsupervised, don't want them in all day, and don't want to kennel them at home (outdoor). The lab loves to play and I can see him ignoring me when I call...

What to do, what to do with those darn fur babies!
Unread 08-20-2007, 11:09 AM

I have 3 fur babies as you call them and two of them are labs and the other one is a wanta be( she's a beagle but thinks she as big as the other two) I too have been offered the chance to go stay with my mom for a week or two, but have decided to stay home as will be more comfortable there. At least my dogs are all outside dogs so they will be ok out there. My dogs seem to know when i dont feel good, and not to jump up on me when I dont, so you may find your dogs feel the same way.
Unread 08-20-2007, 12:08 PM

I was very concerned about our akita mix. She's a very sweet loving dog and anxious when Im gone. I was terrified she'd jump into my lap after I got home from the castle--all 90 pounds of her!
She didn't. She came up to me very slowly, nuzzled my face and hands and laid down beside the recliner. I juess she musthave sensed I was in a weakened state. Maybe your furbabies will sense the same thing and be more gentle.
My DH has been walking the dogs and feeding and watering them as well. he's really pitchin in with the cooking and keeping me sane.
Unread 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM

Do I have a story for you, my friend

On Aug 10th -- a week before my surgery was even planned (before I even knew I needed it actually) we had to take my big black lab into the vet because she was limping really bad. Turns out she had bone cancer and the only way to save my "baby" was to amputate her front left arm. She's about 90 lbs and I thought she'd have lots of problems. What did I know? She had been adapting fine! And she's going on 11 yrs old... so I can't hope for more. But I was worried after they told me about my upcoming surgery that if she fell, how was I going to help her? My DH said to quit worrying so much because he was there and he would always be there to help her. PLUS on top of that, I have 2 other dogs. One old and the other a puppy (just under a year) who is lame in her back left leg (I have a habit of picking up strays that need help... the puppy is crazy... because she's a puppy LOL and the older dog likes to sleep on my side of the bed.

Well, long story short, I had my TAH/LSO on Friday and came home on Sunday and was petrified I'd be jumped on and hurt and all those things you think about. Well, my older dogs came up to me and greeted me fine (the lab and my boy dog who sleeps on the bed) and the puppy came up and smelled me and must have sensed I'd been in the hospital or something wasn't 100% with me because she's been as sweet as can be. Very gentle with me and hasn't tried to jump on me or rough house with her squeaky toys around me. So I think the dogs sense these things and adapt to your schedule. They give me a wide berth too so I don't trip over them on my way to the bathroom or kitchen, etc. I've decided to stay in the guest room for the first week because it's a small twin bed and easier for me to get in and out of plus it has a bathroom connected nearby. This way I'm letting my old boy dog have his space on my side of the king bed and no one's sleep routine is messed with.

I'm healing quickly and think a lot of it is the fact that my dogs are so sweet and gentle and know I don't want to play right now. They're very comforting to me. I hope you find the same in your puppies when you get home from the castle. They can be very good caregivers just by being nearby!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register