What is this brown stuff, anyway??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is this brown stuff, anyway??? What is this brown stuff, anyway???

Unread 07-03-2001, 09:50 PM
What is this brown stuff, anyway???

Hi, all. I showed up here in April thinking I was going to need a hysterectomy. I had started having mid-cycle bleeding and none of the common causes could be found ... not pregnant, no STD's, normal PAP smear.

I had an endometrial biopsy and it was normal. It showed thin lining, not the thick precancerous stuff you get when you have irregular periods and don't slough all your lining. My doctor put me on synthetic progesterone, erroneously thinking I had had irregular periods.

All along I have been having this brown discharge between periods. Not frank blood (except for the one month), and waxes and wanes, but always brown, brown, brown. No more clear healthy d/c for me. It was even there on the Depo. I consulted with my doctor again and she took me back off the hormones and I am to keep a diary of the staining for the next three months. That's it.

I asked her if maybe there is cancer there and it just hasn't been found on the PAP and biopsy. I have heard of that happening, where you go back a second or third time, and finally, there it is. She just said no, I didn't need these tests done again, and that was it.

How many of you have had this discharge? Should I get a second opinion? From whom? A regular GYN, or a gynecologic oncologist? Geez ... how do I even find one of those??

Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2001, 12:56 AM

Hi Sereine, I didnt have any unusual spotting or periods with my cancer. But if you are so worried about it, a second opinion won't hurt. Any unusual or abnormal bleeding should be checked out . Hope you work things out soon. Take care x x
Unread 07-04-2001, 04:43 AM

Hiya,
I would certainly go for a second opinion. I wish I did not have such faith in my gyn, because I ended up with cancer, had unusual bleeding, and he kept telling me I was fine. I was persistent, thank goodness. I had a pelvic sonogram, which showed a polyp, which led to a D&C, which led to the discovery of cancer. It sounds like you did that all ready.
The bottom line is your body is telling you something, you need to find out what it is . I never had a brownish discharge. It seems like it is residual blood, but from what is the question.
GOOD LUCK......and keep us posted.
By the way, uou can find a doctor by simply, calling the hospital and getting a referral from them. Unless you have some friends that can recommend someone to you.
Valentina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2001, 09:16 PM

I know this will sound crazy but...

Go to the drugstore, get some charcoal, and take a tablet or two. See if the color og the discharge changes. If you have a fistula (channel from the colon to the vagina) you will get a brown discharge, and it is small amounts of feces working it's way through. This is an easy enough test for this, and not necessarily what an ob/gyn will look for.

Let us know what you find out.

Maggie
Unread 07-09-2001, 09:21 PM

Hmm, thanks for the idea. But I gotta wait for it to start again. It seems to clear up for a week or so before my period.

Probably won't see any more until after I have my period again.
Unread 07-10-2001, 05:58 AM

I would go for a second opinion! You will feel better and it will not do any harm to anyone when you get another opinion...so I say to do it!
As for the charcoal, well I would need better instructions. Knowing me, I would be eating a piece of charcoal briquettes at the grill!
Unread 07-11-2001, 07:28 AM

Hi Sereine!

I would go for a second opinion also. I agree, any unexplained abnormal bleeding should be checked into very closely.

I did have a history of abnormal bleeding, including in between periods, for as far back as I can remember. Although I did end up with cancer, it doesn't necessarily mean that all abnormal bleeding does. However, it would be best, especially for peace of mind to find out what's causing it.

Is there another gyn in your area that you might be able to consult with? Possibly talk to your GP or PCP if you have one and see what they recommend.

I wish you the best in finding some answers. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers in the meantime.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register