10wks PostOP mentally worse-anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10wks PostOP mentally worse-anyone else? 10wks PostOP mentally worse-anyone else?

Unread 08-23-2007, 03:35 PM
10wks PostOP mentally worse-anyone else?

hi
10wks post op hyster 8wks post op appendectomy
this week i finaly feel somewhat better physically still having pains on both left and rt sides
but i am having trouble emotionally- i want to cry alot
and feel so "not good enough"
it just also seems to bring back the old feelings of

i am single living alone so i am sure that it does not help the situation... going back to work 1/2 days next wed
and hope i can keep myself together! some anxiety about returning (been off 10wks) but also glad to get back to a regular routine...
weird i know i made the right decision- since i am 45 and have not dated in along time but i feel sad that i will never have my own childern and logically i knew that and felt ok before the hyster...
i did go to my thearapist yesterday and today feel worse.. i know that is usually what happens ( i have a great therapist) and do not want to get too depressed etc so trying to take care of that...
i am on welbutrin and have a great doctor also
i need to vent and just want to get rid of these feelings i try to remind myself i have so much to be thankful about and appreciate
but i feel so alone not many friends to lean on and my family is somewhat helpful but i think they do not understand and think i should be back to normal or more than i am

so glad i have this website i have been reading and glad that we have our "sisters" here
thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2007, 05:38 PM

I felt much the same as you, but it was five months post op. I just fell apart suddenly - I kept telling myself everything was going OK now, so why was I feeling so bad?

I went to the doc, and she said that it was quite luikely that now all the stress of having the op, getting through everything, and knowing I was getting better, my body was *allowing* itself to finally feel all that pressure and let it out. I wasn't going nuts, it was quite normal! It took me a long time to get over it, and adjust to the new me, but I am fine now.

If you could find someone to talk to, I think you would sort through this emotional rollercoaster more easily. We're all different of course, this is just my take on things.
I hope you feel better soon.

Julie
Unread 08-23-2007, 07:26 PM

julie
thank you for your reply and appreciate your input
and knowing that others have been like this...

i am glad you are doing better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2007, 07:54 PM

Hi I am 10 months post op. Three weeks to the day of my hysterectomy I had a heart attack. About 4 weeks after that I went into the dr's offive just crying my eyes out I couldn't stop. My dr is so understanding as he is my age as is his wife. Any way he said that I had a double whammy and it is understandable what I am feeling. He put me on Effexor to help that and my hot flashes. Well, I went back into him I say about March starting the same way all over again. This time he put m on Paxil and it has helped tremndously. Prior to all of my medical issues I was thetype of person that was fun loving and easy going. I would let things just roll off. It took a lot to let things roll off this time. I had faced near death 2x within a month. I could have died each time and came through it. I now just don't worry about anything else but my health and I am starting to physically feel better. It takes a lot of time and patience. We have been through a lot. I do have children and grandchildren so that helps me too. I wish you the best and talk to people. You'll feel better again.
Unread 08-23-2007, 10:22 PM

thank you for your reply
i am so sorry to hear you had a heart attack,you have over come alot of serious health issues
you have been through alot... glad you also have a good doctor they are so hard to find..
am i understanding that you still worry alot about your health? in 2000 i had a very serious toxic reaction to medication (long story) and had alot of worries after i returned home
i went on an anti-anxiety medication for a short time which helped
that might be an option for you if you are worring too much??
are you feeling alot better these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilv2so6
Hi I am 10 months post op. Three weeks to the day of my hysterectomy I had a heart attack. About 4 weeks after that I went into the dr's offive just crying my eyes out I couldn't stop. This time he put m on Paxil and it has helped tremndously. Prior to all of my medical issues I was thetype of person that was fun loving and easy going. I would let things just roll off. It took a lot to let things roll off this time. I had faced near death 2x within a month. I could have died each time and came through it. I now just don't worry about anything else but my health and I am starting to physically feel better. It takes a lot of time and patience. We have been through a lot. I do have children and grandchildren so that helps me too. I wish you the best and talk to people. You'll feel better again.
Unread 08-24-2007, 05:01 AM

res 201
I UNDERSTAND. I am almost 7 weeks post op and have been dealing with similar emotional issues. I am 36, single and no children. Well, I do have a beautiful dog, that I consider to be my daughter. You're doing the right thing about continuing your therapy. This is a process and grieving takes time and many stages to go through. Allow yourself to cry and validate your emotions. They are real and they are yours at this particular time. I know, easier said than done, but allow yourself this time. I'm struggling with many of the same issues and I guess we'll see where this road takes us. I know there are days better than others. Take advantage of those good days. Also, treat yourself to things you might not have done for yourself before. I'm doing that and have a couple of projects in mind. Also try the ACING HEARTS board. I have posted there and it has helped as well. My thoughts are with you, my friend.
Unread 08-24-2007, 07:27 AM

I am over 4 and half months out and I am going through some major life changes after my surgery. I am selling my dive shop that I have had for the last 5 years. I think it is definitely a result of my surgery and re-prioritizing of my life. I have struggled the last few months with the emotional rollercoaster and I am just not the same mentally as what I was pre-surgery. For me, that is not a bad thing, it is a good thing. I am just tired of running constantly and I am feeling very selfish now with my time and energy. I want my health back. I need it. Hang in there, it gets better and it takes time to deal with a major surgery. My incisions are healed but the emotional scars may take a bit longer.
Unread 08-24-2007, 01:13 PM

i know my 2 boys (my cats) mean so much to me and i need the unconditional love esp now!
sorry you are struggling as well but as i hope you find comfort that these feelings ups and downs are experinced by others
(not that i wish this for us or others here)
it is just tough feeling so out of sorts i posted here because i think it is a by product of the surgery???
i will definately look up your post in the aching hearts
all the best to you and hope you feel better soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyluz
res 201
I UNDERSTAND. I am almost 7 weeks post op and have been dealing with similar emotional issues. I am 36, single and no children. Well, I do have a beautiful dog, that I consider to be my daughter. You're doing the right thing about continuing your therapy. This is a process and grieving takes time and many stages to go through. Allow yourself to cry and validate your emotions. They are real and they are yours at this particular time. I know, easier said than done, but allow yourself this time. I'm struggling with many of the same issues and I guess we'll see where this road takes us. I know there are days better than others. Take advantage of those good days. Also, treat yourself to things you might not have done for yourself before. I'm doing that and have a couple of projects in mind. Also try the ACING HEARTS board. I have posted there and it has helped as well. My thoughts are with you, my friend.
Unread 08-24-2007, 01:20 PM

nitrox diver
i am also struggleing with my purpose- seems like for some reason having my uterus and overies removed by the surgery has made me wonder what is my "purpose"?? is it the pressure i feel of society that i have not been either a wife or a mother ??? and also now that the option of being a mother has been taken is effecting me emotionaly (even though i know i am ok logicly and felt that as i made the decision to do the surgery since my health was effected and there really was not another option for me to do) and never thought i would be having these feelings?
i wish you the best and glad that this can also be a postive experince i DO truly believe the hard times are when we make needed changes in our life! (just these emotions and ups and downs are wearing)
what are you going to do after you close your dive shop??

THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxDiver
I am over 4 and half months out and I am going through some major life changes after my surgery. I am selling my dive shop that I have had for the last 5 years. I think it is definitely a result of my surgery and re-prioritizing of my life. I have struggled the last few months with the emotional rollercoaster and I am just not the same mentally as what I was pre-surgery. For me, that is not a bad thing, it is a good thing. I am just tired of running constantly and I am feeling very selfish now with my time and energy. I want my health back. I need it. Hang in there, it gets better and it takes time to deal with a major surgery. My incisions are healed but the emotional scars may take a bit longer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register