Afraid of having a hysterectomy. Lupron opinions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Afraid of having a hysterectomy.  Lupron opinions? Afraid of having a hysterectomy. Lupron opinions?

Unread 08-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Afraid of having a hysterectomy. Lupron opinions?

HI,
I went to the doctor today and was told my uterus was 5 months and too big for LAVH. Two years ago I was told the same thing by another doctor. So does this count as a second opinion? I had decided to take Lupron and schedule the surgery for Jan until I starting doing research on Lupron. Apparently there are many women out there who are permanently affected by the drug. Some of the complaints were joint and muscle pain, numbness and tingling, chronic fatigue.. I think these were epetition to get drug off market I was reading. I also didn't know it is a treatment for prostate cancer. I hope me talking about this drug is not too controversia. By the way, my doctor said it would take 4 weeks to get approval from my insurance company to have the surgery. It was approved in less than a day! My husband says do it and get it over with. I still don't know.
Jeanine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2007, 09:23 AM

1. I "assume" your uterus is that large because of fibroids? Or ????
2. If fibroids, my research also shows that Lupron may shrink them, but it also depends on if they are calcified or not.
3. Assuming they are shrinkable with Lupron, my understanding (and others may comment further as I have NO experience and did NOT do further research) is that it would shrink your uterus about 50% which MAY NOT be enough for a vaginal hysterectomy. Did you doctor ASSURE you that it would?
4. Have you consulted with a surgeon that might be able to do a Laprascopic Hysterectomy saving ovaries and cervix? Are there reasons you do not want your cervix (it would be removed in a vaginal H from what I understand)? A Laprascopic H is minimally invasive (tiny incisions) and by keeping the cervix (if possible) not as painful as a full H (from what I was told).

Just some questions to get answered. I do NOT have answers.
Unread 08-24-2007, 12:16 PM

Hi Justonian,

I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for my LSH, a less invasive hyst.

Yes..I agree...lupron can be controversial. Lupron causes temporary chemical menopause. I had hot flashes and night sweats. And...lupron, as Funnyesq mentioned, did shrink my fibroids. Lupron is a temporary fix - a ~band-aid~ on the problem. Right before my hyst, when my fibroids had shrunk and I was feeling pretty good physically...my Dr. just told me if I elected to not have a hyst..my fibroids would most likely grow back when the lupron was out of my system.

For me, lupron was a success. I would do lupron again to have the LSH results I have now.

On long term side effects...I read that also. For me, I have not had any. No chronic fatigue, no tingling. No numbness. I get normal aches and pains like any almost 50-year old.

I know in my case, my Dr. would NOT put me on lupron longer than (3) months. From what he told me and from what I read, long term use of lupron can cause bone density loss since it does cause chemical menopause. So maybe...some of the reported cases you talked about can be from women on lupron longer. You might check with your Dr. on that.

Lupron is not for everyone...that is true. In the end...do what is *best* for you.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2007, 09:07 PM

Hi Justonian,

I had the 3 month Lupron injection and did okay on it. The side effects were tolerable & much better than heavy bleeding, awful cramps and pain. Worth the trade off for me. If you decide to try it, I hope you do well on it too.

s
Beth
Unread 08-25-2007, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my uterus is large due to fibroids. I had a myomectomy in the early 90s after taking Lupron for 6 months. The only side effect I can remember is the texture of my hair changed. It became very tangled and matted. Not a bad side effect. However, that was over 10 years ago. I don't know what it will be like now taking Lupron. My doctor took one look at my abdomen and said no surgeon would attempt a vag on me because the size of my uterus. I think the only reason I would want a vag hys would be because recovery time would be less. I haven't thought about whether or not I want to keep my cervix. Does anyone know the pros and cons with keeping cervix?
Thanks,
Jeanine
Unread 08-25-2007, 01:07 AM

I just finished Lupron. I had a ton of side effects. But they were perable especially since it gave me 5 months free of pain.
Unread 08-25-2007, 02:08 AM

i did 3 sessions of the 3 month doses so 9 months. it just made me bleed more and did not reduce the size of my uterus (fibroids made it at about 16 weeks). that option was one that i kind of did regret. the anemia was so bad that it was hard to notice any other side effects.
Unread 08-25-2007, 10:46 AM

Perhaps you should read the threads about keeping the cervix. I think there is at least one about this.

I was told that if you have no family history of cancer, and always had good pap test results, that you were a good candidate to keep the cervix. That certainly applied to me. No bad paps and no cervical, uterine, breast or ovarian cancer.

I was also told that keeping the cervix is less painful than having it removed because there are more nerve endings in that portion of the uterus and that the cervix has separate ligaments to hold it in place. Less pain is always welcome in my book.

I was also told that keeping the cervix provides for pelvic support which made sense to me.

I was also told that keeping the cervix is a personal decision as some women believe their orgasms are related to their cervix. This was not something I personally felt applied to me but with the other things being okay...why mess with it.

That's ME though. YOU need to research for YOURSELF.
Unread 08-25-2007, 11:15 AM

Hi Justonian,

I kept my cervix with my surgery type and I am still pleased with the decision.

My Dr. said similar things to what Funnyesq replied about the cervix.

Just do what is *best* for you. Sending best wishes again.

Mary
Unread 08-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Lupron helped

When gyn. discovered subserosal (growing on outside uterus into pelvic cavity) fibroids 18cm. she said if I wanted hysterectomy at my size it would have to be an up and down incision. So she wanted me to take lupron ( shot in butt for 3 months) to shrink them so it would be less risky. Less bleeding and we could do bikini incision. Lupron gave me hot flashes and some other side effects but when she did hysterectomy the fibroids had shrunk by 75-80%. Easy for her to remove. Also I found hystersisters during the 3 months and when DH saw that some women have a tummy tuck at the same time as hyst. he sugg. we could do that. Altho I had thought of it I had hesitated to mention it to him since it was costly. End result I had TAH on Aug 3 and then full tummy tuck and I am recovering nicely. My lupron effects are wearing off and now my hot flashes and other symptoms are almost gone. I'm happy with the end result and lupron was a big part of it. God bless.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register