Where is the Hospital Stay?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Where is the Hospital Stay?? Where is the Hospital Stay??

Unread 08-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Where Does the Hospital Put Us??

Hi Ladies,

I'm wondering if any of you have been told which area of the hospital you will be staying in after your surgery. Or for the Sisters who have had the surgery - which section of the hospital were you in?

I'm asking because a friend of mine had a cyst and endo removed at the same hospital I'm having my surgery at - and with a dr. from the same practice I go to. She told me that she was in the women's section - like where you recover after having a baby. I had to repeat back to her what she said to me because I couldn't believe my ears.

Could this be? Why wouldn't a woman who had a hysterectomy go to the surgical recovery floor/section?! It seems cruel to put a woman who had a hysterectomy with women who just had babies.

Maybe I'm just being too sensitive, but I think it would be too depressing to hear babies crying when I just went through a procedure that finalized that I wouldn't have any more children (and I don't even want more).

Please, fill me in.... !

-Salam (peace)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Where is the Hospital Stay??

Hi Salam. It depends on the doctor and the hospital. I was placed on the gyno surgical floor and although there might have been new mothers there I never knew about it because I had a private room, and the staff always made sure my door was closed. Everyone on that floor had private rooms, probably for the same reason you are concerned about. I think originally each room had two to four beds, but probably enough women complained about it that they remodeled everything to private rooms. As to why they mix up gyno patients with new mothers, I think it just makes it easier for the doctor to have all of his or her patients grouped in the same location, although certainly having to share a room with a new mother could be very depressing to some, and make a difficult and frightening situation even harder. I agree with you, it doesn't seem very kind at all. I remember that when the RN gave me the post-op instructions--for a TAH/BSO--they were in a folder with the design of a mother breastfeeding her baby--can you imagine????? When I get up enough energy I may write a letter to the hospital about that, not for my sake since I've always been fine not having children, but for the sake of women who did want to have children and now can't.
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:11 AM

Wow, Thanks For Letting Me Know This, I Will Have To Ask Today At My Pre Op Hospital Visit. I Won't Be Able To Handle A Roommate That Just Had A Baby... Not To Sound Selfish, But I Would Go Insane If I Had To Hear A Baby Cry.......i Have Two Kids Of My Own And I Do Home Day Care. I Would Want To Be Supper Mommy And Help Out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2007, 10:13 AM

I agree and I can't imagine that would be the case. I was pleasantly surprised when on my last Drs visit, the receptionist looked at why I was there and then looked at the half dozen pregnant women in the waiting room and asked if I would like to wait in the "lab" room for my appointment rather than be in the waiting room. For my it was irrelevent (no interest in having children) but I am sure there are a number of women that truly appreciate that kind of gesture.
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:18 AM

I think I got better and more personal care being in the birthing center. I'm a grandmother and don't want any more children so maybe it was easier on me, but I was treated SO special and was around the corner from the women with babies, not right there with them.
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:19 AM

Thanks Marisol! You must be right - it would be MUCH easier for the doctors to do their rounds! You are a darn genius - I couldn't figure out even one reason that this would happen. I understand from that perspective. However, I KNOW that even though I don't want any more children I will have terrible meltdowns by the nursery and walking past rooms with new babies crying. To make matters even worse, my friends recently had babies at this hospital and I visited them often. So I associate that part of the hospital with the new babies (who I dearly LOVE!). I guess the only good thing is that visiting hrs. are 24x7 at this hospital in that section. And if I feel too poopey, that probably means that I can restrict visitors. Hmmm ... maybe that is another reason they put us there? No other area of the hospital is secured that way that I know of.
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:25 AM

i was not on a maternity floor but a surgical recovery type floor, I did see mostly women patients as I walked by they were mature and not young new mothers, did not hear any baby cries while there, but i did read on this site that some obgyns DO put the maternity gals and the hyster gals on the same floor, cant imagine the same room, but best to ask and to speak up about your feelings, you can call the hospital, they know what all docs usually do in this type of surgery and will tell you where you will be put.
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:30 AM

Hi Salam - I think it depends on the facility and the available beds. When I had mine I was supposed to be on the Medical/Surgical Floor but there were no beds available @ 5:30AM the day I "checked in" for my surgery - therefore, I went to the OB floor - But I must say it worked out fine -I had a private room and never once did I feel uncomfortable being on that unit, and never once heard any babies. If you are worried and would prefer not being on that unit - be sure to tell them! So don't worry it will be just fine. Best of luck to you!
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:32 AM

I was not warned that this is where I was to be .
When I came to I needed help and got yelled at by the nurse she told me that quote "I was not the only patient"
and then was told by a NA that qoute "we had lots of babies last nite "
I melted down and flipped out like a nut case and ask why the "F" I was in the maternity ward ! ?
It was such a huge melt down that they called the doctor at 5 am and I called my hubby at 5 to come and get me the fudge outta there !
By 9 am we had about 5 or 6 diffrent corprate heads in my room along with a doctor that wanted to know why and how when he specifically said private room on med surg how I ended up there !
I have never wanted kids matter of fact hubby had the big "V" done , but there is something about this that can cause a break down ...
I dont care if it is for the doctor or not he can walk freely I could not so it is not very kind . I think that hosp policy has now been changed due to me ... They are looking into adding a floor that is secure like L&D but for womens issues so they are not subjected to that . Even tho the choice was made years ago for no kids it was a below the belt hit none the less for me
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:37 AM

Thanks ladies! I appreciate your replies. BTW Marisol - I can't even believe that they put your post-op instructions in that folder! That would be great if you let them know when you are feeling up to it. They probably don't even realize how that may affect a woman who has just gone through this procedure. They should know!

I'm afraid, however, that they would have realized it real quick if they were to give ME that folder! One of two things would have happened. Either the water works would have come on and I would have been crying uncontrollably (over nothing - I didn't plan on using it again), or I would have totally gone off on the poor person who handed it to me. Ugh! God help them if they give me post-op instructions in a folder like that. Especially now that I'm prepared ... lol

-Salam (peace)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register