Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 27-Sep 03,2007 - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 27-Sep 03,2007 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 27-Sep 03,2007

Unread 09-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 27-Sep 03,2007

Why when we feel better we over-do it and then feel worse?? I cleaned my kitchen and some other minor duties then went overboard by changing the sheets on my bed. As soon as I lifted the mattress I felt the pain. At that point I felt it was too late b/c I couldn't have a half made bed! SO--I have been fussed at by DH and am resting now. I am way crampy now but am trying not to do anymeds but Advil from now on. I was on pain meds 4 weeks before my surgery and I am ready to be med free. The hot flashes have improved today and I am so thankful. I find myself feeling 'pitiful' and really just want my DH to lay in bed with me! With 5 kids, this is obviously not an option but that is what I want!! Okay, I'm rambling.....

Anne (31)
LAVH
8/29/07 only kept right ovary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2007, 09:03 PM

Anne,

I hear you I started to feel good and convinced my DH (he kept saying no) I wanted to just go to hobby lobby and get a cross stitch. I walked around for five minutes and was exhausted. I had also made my bed today and walked around the house more.

I got home and got so crampy and had shooting pain I wondered if maybe my uterus was back lol not funny tho

I think its just a woman thing, I too am trying to get off pain pills, Ive been on them for four months. Im down to just before bed with percocet and advil during the day. ITs better than before tho I was depending on hydrocodone every four hours and even then it just took away some of the pain.

I keep telling myself just to take it easy so I dont tear my stitches or something. Read some of the stories on the article about overdoing it and you wont want to anymore its scary. But also still hard to just lay around. DH had complained he was tired of being a housewife today thats why I tried to push it but he has since apologized and said he doesnt know how I do it everyday. I love it my kids are everything to me! Im rambling too lol
Unread 09-08-2007, 08:09 AM

LAVH w/ left ovary removed. Cysts much larger than ultrasound showed them to be, they've been sent to pathology. I'm sealed up with super glue My surgery was 31st, supposed to be at 11:30 but delayed about 2 hours because of a bad storm knocked out the a/c & they had to get humidity down on ORs. After I finally got rolled into OR & they had me scoot over to the table they must have given me the drugs because I don't remember anything until waking up in recovery choking because of my dry throat & pushing the mask off my face. They did all the shaving, etc. while I was out, thank goodness! Eventually I got a foam thing to suck on to ease my throat & later ice chips. They had to change the IV location, the one in my hand came out & then my blood pressure dropped so it took a while for me to get to my room. Threw up a bit next am & was given something, able to eat bland diet, around noon they came in & unhooked catheter, sat me up, had me eat sitting up & go wash up. That wore me out. Sunday I was able to take a shower, went home around noon Monday. Wasn't able to finish any meals & even first one home was too much but I've been pretty much able to finish now - not that I'm getting all that much to begin with.
1st couple days home I was taking both the pain med & prescription motrin every 6 hours but I'm getting away with 2 a day each now, just alternating. Going to need the pain after sitting here like this typing!!
BMs not back to normal, been taking stool softeners & prune juice & they work but not much, dare not strain though. Time for coffee & then a shower once I get my energy back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2007, 08:40 AM

Hi pets & dolls

A nurse mentioned off handedly that they automatically give us an antibiotic during surgery, just one big burst to prevent infection. So I learned something that might help your BM situation- it has been great for me. It's the Activia yogurt. It has all the bacteria a healthy intestinal tract needs. My hubby has been stirring fresh berries with a container of yogurt and Fiber One bran cereal and I eat it for breakfast. Tastes good (not like the prune juice, yuck) and my BMs are soft and regular with no stool softeners. No straining and it works great. Maybe that tip will help you. I am so glad someone told me about it. Hugs and good healing to you!
Unread 09-08-2007, 10:10 AM
day 11

Today has been a weird day. I am having rages today. Not unlike the pms before a period????? I am short tempered and snappy for no apparent reason. I am tired today. I haven't had pain meds for a while but I took an 800 mg motrin to help me sleep and I think that wiped me out. I feel very lethargic today. Each day i feel stronger and i have to be careful not to do to much. I am back at work about 4 hours a day but do lots of sitting. I forgot to use the vaginal antibiotic they gave me today and didn't have the wierd pink discharge so wondered if maybe they are related???? Perhaps it's the vaginal cream just coming back out tinged with the blood of the incision. hhhmmm. Hard to say. Have noticed that I can't eat anything greasy or spicy. I don't have my gall bladder so it can't be that. AFter every single meal I feel bloated and gassy. Have tried smaller meals but doesn't seem to matter. All food of any kind seems to really make me uncomfortable for about an hour. Last night at midnight I had a wendy's frosty and I was miserable for a couple of hours. Strange how all these things come into play. Hope all of you are having a great weekend. love and hugs to all, michelle
Unread 09-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Post-op 10 days: I hear you on the ragey feeling. Mine have calmed down since I start HRT. The one thing that has really reared its ugly head, is the really bad gas pain that goes on and gets really nasty right before I go number 2. I am going everyday and its soft. Anybody else feeling this awful gas pain? I take two gas X in the am and the pm hoping it is making a difference. Anyway, I don't know what's going on inside that is making me experience such bad gas pain. Any ideas, sisters?
Unread 09-08-2007, 08:02 PM

BA8, the gas is the thing that's killing me. I think everything went beautifully with the surgery itself, my incision is lovely, no swelling, no redness...no bleeding...everything is amazing. Except the agonizing gas. I have been reading this thread (and all the post-op stuff on this board) and this is NOTuncommon. I've been following advice, drinking prune juice, metamucil......but does that not just stir it all up? It's hard to say. I "go" #2 as you say, several times a day. Several little tiny squiggly times a day, nothing "real". But the gas is persistent.

Still, I'll continue on in the quest. But my only, only problem in the 11 days since my surgery is.......gas pain. Oh, and unexpected hot flashes. I didn't expect those at all - I kept my ovaries! They cauterized my cysts, and kept my ovaries, just took the uterus/cervix. Yet, I am going through hot flashes that soak me from the tip of my head to my little toes (which for some reason are infected.....bizarre). I could wring my nightie out. Thought that was a myth - WRONG! Maybe removing the uterus does more to the system than they think. Or cauterizing the ovaries did something? Hard to say.

Regardless of the current gas issues....and (as the bible says), "this too, shall pass", I am thrilled beyond belief to know that never again will I lie in agony during a period. This will never happen to me again, I am not going to have any more periods. For that, I thank God and my surgeon!!!
Unread 09-08-2007, 08:06 PM

Are any of you having sharp pains between your belly button and pelvic area. Mine are horrible and I wonder could my bladder be doing spasms?

Kat
Unread 09-08-2007, 08:14 PM

Hi BA82007 and Diamondlover...I am 17 days post op now and I think the gas is finally subsiding...it is still there but not as bad or painful....the swelly belly comes out after lunch everyday still..maybe wishful thinking but I think it is starting to get smaller....as far as the hot flashes...I had 2 the first week after surgery...woke up in a pool of sweat and had to change my pajamas in the middle of the night..another time I broke out in sweat from head to toe while I was sitting and reading...I also kept my ovaries but my doctor told me they were probably in shock and slow to wake up....my bms are pretty regular...after each meal...never was like that before and pretty much how you described it Diamond...I am trying to eat right and not take any softeners...I find eating a big cup of applesauce mid afternoon helps with the regularity too.....each day is getting a little better
Unread 09-09-2007, 06:59 AM
doing well

Well, yesterday was a good test for me. We hosted a surprise party for our youngest DD's 30th birthday. I didn't have to do any food preparation (had frozen homemade ice cream before my surgery and then bought pizza and birthday cake), and DH did the vacuuming and floor scrubbing. I dusted the furniture over a couple days' time and did most of the bathroom cleaning. I was on my feet a lot yesterday and was extremely tired by the end of the day. However, it was a fun day, and I so enjoyed seeing 20 or so of our closest family and friends.

I went to bed early last night. I'm still really tired this morning, but I don't have pain, so I'm sure a restful day will bring me back to where I was before yesterday.

I feel so fortunate not to have gas problems as some of you do. I hope you find the solution soon, even if that is just the passing of time. For me, I think the first 2-3 days in the hospital were rougher than I expected, but the recuperation since then has gone better and faster than I expected.

I wish you all a restful Sunday and good healing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register