mesh erosion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-27-2007, 04:05 PM
mesh erosion

I am very sad to say that I am now dealing with this as well. My last surgery was May 14th for a second rectocele repair, bladder sling and adhesion removal. After 8 weeks when we tried to have sex my husband said he felt something like a stitch---well it never went away. I finally saw the dr this past week and he said it was mesh erosion. Even though I suspected this is what was happening, I still had hopes that it was just some stubborn stitch.....

I am on antibiotics (I have been bleeding from the area) and Premarin cream for the next month and then we'll see what happens. The Dr told me if nothing has changed in a month then I am going to need to have surgery to remove the mesh--with a colon rectal surgeon because the rectocele is coming back as well!

I am just taking things day to day and I am not going to freak out until I have to. It is depressing though----I had such high hopes as we all do, that the last surgery would really be THE LAST ONE.

Thanks to all the ladies who have posted about their experience with mesh erosion. It has been a tremendous help to hear your stories and know what to look for and what to expect--as much as I never wanted to go through this.

I will post again when I find out something definate.

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2007, 09:42 PM
mesh erosion

Becky--

Oh I am indeed sorry this is happening to you. Mesh erosion is such a pain to deal with.

If you've been reading the mesh erosion posts, then I hope you've read some of mine where I warn people away from letting their Dr.'s do the "in-office" snipping on them. My first doctor did that and every time it was truly awful! Don't let yours do that either. It felt more like surgery without anesthesia. In my opinion, surgery was and is the better option. I do NOT like surgery, but it's better to have that kind of thing done while under anesthesia.

I had 3 mesh removals because my 1st doctor was trying to avoid taking out the complete sling so he could leave in the bladder support. I sure wish he'd taken the entire thing with that first surgery. It would have saved so much time and misery. My 2nd doctor DID finally remove the rest of the sling this past February and I haven't had any mesh problems since. I did have another surgery after that but it wasn't related to the mesh at all--thank goodness!

Please let us know how it goes with your premarin treatment. I have read that sometimes that conservative treatment works when the eroded area is very small. Let's keep our fingers crossed for you.

I am sending you many hugs and prayers that things will go well....
Unread 08-28-2007, 06:54 AM
mesh erosion

Oh Becky, I'm so sorry this has happened to you!! I've been following your story closely because we seem to share many of the same issues. I hope the conservative treatment works and that you don't have to face another surgery; you've gone through so much already!

Out of curiosity, was your surgery in May done vaginally or abdominally? I remember you telling me previously that you had an abdominal sacral colpoperineopexy and that's what I'm due to have done in Sep. My doc (and the research I've read) says the erosion rate for that surgery is less than 1% because it's done through the abdomen. I felt that was pretty good odds, but if you're now suffering it makes me nervous!

Take care of yourself, and think good thoughs. My fingers are crossed for you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2007, 12:17 PM
mesh erosion

Ary,

The surgery in May was done both abdominally and vaginally, but the bladder/rectocele repairs I had done were through the vagina (the abdominal part was for adhesions) My first repair on 12/04 was done both ways as well and I am thinking that maybe the mesh erosion is from what they put in back then---who knows! I knew going into this that erosion was a possibility and I chose to go ahead anyway, so I was aware of what could happen. Now I just have to deal with it. The Dr kept telling me that it was nothing we did "wrong", it just happens to some people.

I hope your upcoming surgery goes well!

Hugs
Becky

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register