Vag Hyst to Abdom. Hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)


HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Reply

Vag Hyst to Abdom. Hyst Vag Hyst to Abdom. Hyst

Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 08-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Vag Hyst to Abdom. Hyst

Hi Ladies,

I've been told that I have a 75% chance Dr. can do Vag. Hyst , 25% Abdominal...Has anyone gone in thinking you were getting vag. only to find out Dr. had to do abdom?

How many days do you have to stay in the hospital w/ Abdom. hyst?? I'm a little scared that things will end up changing once I'm on the table....
I go for my pre-op on 10/8 but any experiences with this??

Also, I've read alot on taking a multi vitamin the month leading up to surgery.. any really good ones? (some better than others?) I'm trying to get in the best condition before as to improve recovery..

Thanks for all the postings.. VERY very helpful, comforting..
This is a wonderful site!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Unread 08-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Vag Hyst to Abdom. Hyst

I had a TAH on 7/3/07 and went home the morning of 7/5/07. I knew I was having an abdominal, just didn't know which way the incision was going to be. I ended up with a 6 inch bikini cut instead of a vertical, which was also a possibility. Like they say on this site, waiting is the hardest part!
  #3  
Unread 08-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Vag Hyst to Abdom. Hyst

I had a TAH but knew my fibroids were too big to do Vag. I went in FRiday am, and home Monday am.
I felt great by day 4 post op, did not have to take pain meds after a couple days after I arrived home. I took a few to help me get back to sleep in the night if I had napped a lot during the day but not for pain.

I felt better everyday and took lots of vitamins and minerals a month prior and I put aside two units of my own blood at the local blood bank in case they had to do a transfusion.

I kept up with liquid vitamins and minerals like the energy C packets during my recovery too.
Had my first post op exam today and the Dr says I am his poster child! He was amazed that my scar looks like I had the surgery 6 months ago! I have very little swelling, like less than an inch.

So, stay down, lay low, don't lift don't clean just rest and recover and remember the more you lay low the faster you heal and no matter how good you feel, you willl have lots of internal stitches that take 6 weeks to heal or longer those are the ones you need to be gentle with!
Good luck,
Oh, another question I know I had, I lost 8 pounds so far since the surgery and I have been released to start to work out at the gym, no ab workout but upper body and treadmill walking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Unread 08-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Vag Hyst to Abdom. Hyst

Hi, sounds like your doing well, that's great. I noticed that you put your own blood aside, did you need it? My doctor did ask if I took vitamins and I said not at this time but I was, so I don't know if I should start again when I told her that. I am healthy but would like a boost , I've just forgotten to take them for awhile. I am concerned about the blood but my doctor said that no one or very very few needed it. and I think they can recycle some of your own up to a certain point pluse the body makes more if we loose a little. Maybe someone can comment on this as well. Glad your feeling better....jenny
  #5  
Unread 08-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Vag Hyst to Abdom. Hyst

you can take out two units of blood for surgery now I had a TAH so if you are having a Lap or other surgery maybe there is NO possibility that something could go wrong. My mother got Hep C from blood transfusions so I wanted to be on the safe side.
No, we did not need it! My surgery was only one hour long and my surgeon is awesome and he did a great job and there were no complications at all. You might get some packets of Energy C vitamins minerals they have lots of different flavors now and just add them to your water bottles, two to a 16 oz bottle, you might call the dr and ask the nurse but I am pretty sure they won't mind. I also boned up on Iron eating dried appricots, taking some blackstrap molasses and raisins etc. I ate mostly fresh and raw foods for the month leading up to the surgery too.
For recovery, i had cans of low carb high protein 22 gram protein shakes, they are 100 calories and yummy, like Dr Atkins type shakes, plan to have something like that for the first week or two because you will not have much of an appetite but you DO need plenty of protein to heal.
You can only give blood up to a week prior to your surgery too.
good luck to you.
  #6  
Unread 08-28-2007, 12:37 AM
reply

Hi
When I asked my doc about Hospital Stay, he said usually 3-4 days, and my goal is for two days, and I let him know that. He wants me to at least be passing gas. I figure, past two days in the hospital, all they will be doing for me is shoving pain pills down my throat, and I can do that for myself, as long as there are no major compliacations.
I hope all goes well for you
wooshmoosh
  #7  
Unread 08-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Vag Hyst to Abdom. Hyst

Hi!

I had TAH on Monday and came home Thursday. I did have trouble going tinkle, though!! Ended up coming home with a catheter!

Best of luck! Either way you will be fine. My procedure started out being planned for LAVH and ended being a TAH because my uterus was large and "hugging" my bladder.
Reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register




Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
6 Replies, Last Reply 01-15-2010, Started By ob9332
3 Replies, Last Reply 04-24-2007, Started By littleaccent
4 Replies, Last Reply 04-09-2007, Started By Love2Quilt
11 Replies, Last Reply 09-20-2005, Started By special friend
22 Replies, Last Reply 02-03-2005, Started By peaches36
6 Replies, Last Reply 05-11-2004, Started By teacher4life
11 Replies, Last Reply 07-04-2002, Started By LollyDolly
1 Reply, Last Reply 04-18-2002, Started By yami444
2 Replies, Last Reply 02-06-2002, Started By carmen75
4 Replies, Last Reply 01-19-2002, Started By jdmarie
3 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
8 Replies, Endometriosis Support
8 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
10 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
1 Reply, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
14 Replies, The Road Less Traveled
22 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
1 Reply, The Road Less Traveled
1 Reply, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
4 Replies, No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause



Advertisement

Hysterectomy News

October 31,2020

CURRENT NEWS

HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive

TODAY'S EVENTS

Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays


Request Information


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  


$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!
Advertisement


Advertisement