activity - how much is too much? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

activity - how much is too much? activity - how much is too much?

Unread 08-31-2007, 04:17 PM
activity - how much is too much?

I had a LSH on 8/24 and I feel like I did not get very clear post-op instructions from my doctor. I had my staples removed on 8/29 and he told me to do what I felt like doing as long as it did not include heavy lifting. From what I have read here the first couple of weeks are important for proper healing to take place. My doctor made it seem like this surgery was no big deal and I will be completely back to normal on day 14. I am frustrated because I do not feel like doing much and I am still experiencing quite a bit of pain. Is it okay to do the laundry since I only had a LSH or am I making things worse for me in the long run? Does the type of hysterectomy you have depend on how you treat your recovery time? How long is the recovery period realistically? Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2007, 05:15 PM

My recovery was extremely easy compared to some. My doctor released me to do anything (including lifting) at 10 days post op. His only guidelines was "if it hurts don't do". So I would say that if you are still hurting, take easy a little longer and go with you gut. Only you know how you feel and if it hurts to do it, you are probably only slowing down your recovery in the long run by over doing it. No two people heal the same way and just because I healed quicker doesn't mean everyone will. The doctor is just going on the norm. But if you are still having considerable pain you should let your doctor know that.
Unread 08-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Pamper the Princess!!

KR-
I'd say "TAKE IT EASY!" Use the HS Checkpoints for the recovery tips.
I had a TVH which is more invasive than yours, but i know even for me it was easy to think I should be doing more than I was really supposed to be doing.
My doctor wasn't clear either on post-op (other than the lifting) and when I asked him about it at my 2 week exam - he said "listen to your body and use common sense" (or something similar).
Give me a break - we are women - we are used to multi-tasking to the hilt and then some. We are used to be all things to all people, doing instead of delegating, etc.
Right?!?!!

However, take this time to pamper yourself - take it easy, rest, read, watch movies, whatever. Don't do the laundry yet, or any other housework. You only get one chance to heal - and you don't want to 'mess something up.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2007, 05:33 PM

i was cleared for everything (except heavy lifting) at 2 weeks. i felt good on the third day, back to normal within a few days of that. i had very little pain or discomfort after the 2nd day. you just have to listen to your body and if its hurting, dont over do it. everyone has a different recovery time.
Unread 08-31-2007, 05:35 PM

I also had an LSH; however, my Dr had me on "house arrest" for the first 2 weeks - doing absolutely nothing, except walking to my mailbox. After 2 weeks he said that I could gradually start doing my normal 'stuff,' but I still can't lift anything over 25 lbs until December. He said that it takes 3 to 4 months to completely heal from an LSH.

I'm currently 4 weeks post-op and still have pain, although it is not as bad. Occasionally, I have to get up in the middle of the night to take a pain pill, but that is getting rarer.

Good luck and rest, rest, rest. Remember that although the recovery time for an LSH is the least of all the procedures, you still had major surgery. My Dr did remind me of this and told me that I did not want to know how many stitches I had internally. He even left my stitches sticking out in my belly button as a reminder that if I still see them on the outside, they are still there on the inside.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register