incision itching and those awful strips | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

incision itching and those awful strips incision itching and those awful strips

Unread 09-02-2007, 07:06 PM
incision itching and those awful strips

I had a LSH on 8/24 and had my staples removed 5 days later which were replaced with those tape strips. I understand that some of the itching is because of the healing process, but the tape strips are driving me nuts. When can I remove them and what is the purpose anyway? Obviously the doctor did not give me any instructions and they are not coming off on their own. I had 3 c-sections and each time had smaller, thinner strips put on when the staples came out and they seem to wash off within a couple of days. The ones they used this time seem to be on for the long haul. I cannot reach the doctor's office until Tuesday due to the holiday weekend. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2007, 07:59 PM

Hello Kramerica,

First I hope you are doing well since the surgery..I too had surgery (TAH) on 8/24...Unfortunately I did not have staples, my DR did internal stitches and used Dermabond on the outside of the line...When you can get to your Dr, ask if he/she can use the dermabond, to date I have had no problems at all with it...Until then, I have known ice bags to temporarily ease discomfort.....I know it's not much but I hope it helps.....

I hope you are healing well and taking good care of yourself

Sincerely,
BettyinAZ
Unread 09-02-2007, 08:22 PM

My Dr told me I can trim/cut the edges of the tape if it pulled away from the skin, but do not pull off. I began itching today, so I can relate ! !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2007, 08:27 PM

My doctor told me the same thing. I figured once they weren't touching the incision they could come off. I know it was after my two week checkup, but I don't remember exactly when I pulled them off. My incision still itched, but I guess that was just the healing process.
Unread 09-02-2007, 08:32 PM
You may be allergic.

Hi Kramerica..........After several surgeries in which steri-strips were used, I have realized that I am allergic to them and now request that they not be used. I had total laparascopic hysterectomy with 6 incisons. My doctor sewed them up and covered with regular bandages. The first symptom to clue you in is the intense itching. You will also notice blisters forming around the edge and under the strips.. The longer the strips stay on, the worse the blisters get. I think you should call your doctors after-hours number and speak to the doctor on call. Just tell them that you are having an allergic reaction to the strips. I'm sure they will have an alternative for you. I hope this helps.
Unread 09-02-2007, 11:35 PM

Whether you are allergic or not...I found that a warm(not lukewarm, but WARM) wrung out washcloth held against the incision helped a lot.

It's the dead skin sluffing away, part of the healing, that causes the itch...think of dandruff. But until it can be wiped away, however gently, it won't go away totally.

When my incision was healed enough, even with the strips - ie, NO open spots - I used a cotton cosmetic pad and rubbing alcohol and GENTLY stroked over the incision. I did it across, too, to include where the staples had been.

It was cooling and soothing and did not hurt me. But I had to do a couple of days with the warm washcloth before I could get to that stage.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:51 AM

My doctor told me I could remove them after one week at home. However, my doc used the Dermabond glue, so there were no open areas of my incision.
Unread 09-03-2007, 07:40 AM

My staples came out two weeks post op, and he said to leave the steristrips on for two weeks before I let them fall off. Thing is, he cut them too short, and with the seroma they started falling off the next day. I got more, but they were thinner and longer and actually stay put.

The purpose is to hold the surface of the skin closed, so the scar heals smaller.

Tomorrow I can let them fall off, but I may keep a couple around the seroma--fresh ones, though. The old ones are starting to look ans smell a little off.
Unread 09-03-2007, 08:18 AM

My doctor told me that I could take them off by Monday (which is today). Today is one week post-op, and he said that after that the strips are not doing anything anyway so they can come off. I didn't have staples, he stitched me. I would call (like the other Sister said) and speak to the on call doc so he/she can tell you what would be best for you to do. Let us know what they say!!
Unread 09-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Thank you ladies!

This website is such a blessing. Thank you ladies for all of the advice. I am a little concerned that my left side incision, the one where most of the equipment went in, is opening up. I cannot tell because of the strips. The actual incision line is wider and darker than the other side. It looked like that when I was in the office having my staples out so I assumed that everything was okay. Now, with all of the discomfort and itching, I am not so sure. I will put in a call to the office and hopefully get some answers today. I do not have another appointment with my doctor for another week. I will let you know what I find out and bless you all for your willingness to share and help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register